International Galaxy S Root Method Works on U.S. Versions

Samsung’s Galaxy S line is sure to be a winner, with 1Ghz processors and beautiful Super AMOLED screens. The only thing that could make it better is the ability to gain root access without jumping through a bunch of hoops. Well, it appears that our friends across the pond may be able to help with that. LeshaK, a Russian developer from Samdroid, has successfully rooted the international version (i9000) of the Galaxy S with a simple procedure, and the guys over at XDA Developers have managed to port it over to the American varieties of the Galaxy S.

The process seems to be quite painless, as all it takes is flashing an update.zip file. Pretty easy, right? They can confirm that this works with the Captivate (AT&T) and the Vibrant (T-Mobile), and should work with the Epic 4G (Sprint) and the Fascinate (Verizon) upon launch.

A custom Rom has already been made by Paul O’Brian of MoDaCo for the i9000, but has yet to be tested on any of the U.S. models. Although Sammy has promised official Froyo for all, it seems the hackers of the Android community may beat them to it.

Thanks to AndroidAndMe for the tip.

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

The Perfect Mobile OS Deserves the Perfect Phone. This Is It.

I loved the Palm OS, but the honeymoon faded quickly.  Same story with Windows mobile.  I had high hopes for the gargantuan in Redmond’s foray into the mobile world only

Verizon HTC One Max pricing accidentally revealed

HTC’s current flagship’s big brother, the HTC One Max will hit shelves soon, but while carrier Verizon Wireless was working on their new concept store at Mall of America this

2.0 for G1 Within Two Weeks?

The screenshot to the left is purportedly from an internal T-mobile forum, with a moderator saying that the G1 will get an update by the end of January. Take it

1. Toro
    July 13, 20:58 Reply

I'm getting the Vibrant on Thursday (first time Android user)…this seems interesting :)

Is there anything I need to watch out for when rooting?

2. @shakeoctane
    July 14, 02:13 Reply

Watch out for bricking your phone…. But since this one only involves flashing a file there is little to no chance of that happening. I am getting the captivate next month and it will be only my second Android phone, and the first time I will root. I really cant wait. PS for easy ROM switching after root check out ROM manager. I here it is a blessing from God (and, of course, ClockworkMod team :))

3. steve
    July 14, 10:55 Reply

Im getting mine sunday ive been waiting on this phone since march
    probably wont root until im sure of no problems im so excited about this phone

4. tygar
    July 14, 16:00 Reply

Considering how fast samsung updates their software, this may be a saving grace for many users buying the galaxy products.

5. Phil
    July 15, 07:37 Reply

This is BIG guys!! That means those of you buying the T-Mobile Vibrant tomorrow will be able to use rooted and custom ROMS on it! That means you'll always have the latest version of Android.

That will NEVER happen on the Verizon Droid X, which in addition to a cryptographically signed and locked bootloader, it has a eFuse that will blow if you try to load an unauthorized ROM, thus bricking your phone. Droid X users will forever be at the mercy of Motorola and Verizon for upgrades.

6. Last time I heard that samsung encrypted something so its gonna be hard to dev for it? Is that true? For that reason alone i think im gonna buy a nexus, because I cant live without the support of Cyanogen lol

7. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 05:26 Reply

Samsung is know in world just due to his quality,it provides always latest features,best software,services and etc.

8. business financing loan
    October 13, 12:03 Reply

Totally agree with the above comment that Samsung is just known in the world for its excellent services and quality, but the only thing that could make it more better is the ability to gain root access without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

9. recycle cell phones
    October 14, 03:11 Reply

In Electronic products Samsung is my reliable brand,I always prefer to buy Samsung products….

10. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 14, 12:48 Reply

Samsung’s Galaxy S phones are all poised to receive the new version of Android, known as Froyo

11. Italy Tours
    October 18, 04:32 Reply

In my opinion if you don’t like the Samsung Touch Wiz UI, you can try new galaxy S root method phones,but I also like the look of the Vibrant the best, as it looks closest to the stock Galaxy S.

12. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 19, 07:06 Reply

I like this news. The more people who get the handset, the more pressure that gets put on samsung to maintain it and provide updates and fixes. They are doing an amazing job. GOOD WORK GUYS. LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

13. Paige Brands
    October 20, 05:39 Reply

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.Good luck…

14. Rome Vatican tours
    November 15, 05:23 Reply

Thanks for this informative post but in my opinion if you don’t like the Samsung Touch Wiz UI, you can go with new galaxy S root method phones.

15. x cart shopping cart
    November 19, 05:09 Reply

Well I think the only thing that could make it better is the ability to gain root access without jumping through a bunch of hoops,which is also one of its advantages.

16. William Dircks
    December 03, 01:14 Reply

Interesting information. That means those of you buying the T-Mobile Vibrant tomorrow will be able to use rooted and custom ROMS on it! That means you’ll always have the latest version of Android.Thanks for sharing these useful information!

17. Peoria Toyota
    December 03, 06:21 Reply

I prefer only samsung if there is any need of electrical items..Samsung’s good are really just preferable, durable, etc. etc.

18. Frank Dirico
    December 07, 00:43 Reply

unless I take the netbook with me and load it in the car before I leave. LOL!Thank you!

19. Chevrolet accessories
    January 01, 05:29 Reply

The more people who get the handset, the more pressure that gets put on Samsung to maintain it and provide updates and fixes.

20. Pontiac Parts
    January 08, 03:59 Reply

As per me the process seems to be quite painless, as all it takes is flashing an update.zip file.

21. Nova Radio
    January 13, 09:31 Reply

Very good information keep up your good work!

22. Carlsbad Dentists
    January 31, 00:46 Reply

how to know is this Iphone international sim free or NO LOCKED TO Network Discussion/Download: International or no …..????

23. BathroomLiving.com
    February 19, 03:51 Reply

This process seems to be quite painless, as all it takes is flashing an update.zip file. Pretty easy, right?

24. Pepe Fanjul Jr.
    June 21, 09:02 Reply

Well That will NEVER happen on the Verizon Droid X, which in addition to a cryptographically signed and locked bootloader..

25. About WFG
    June 21, 14:20 Reply

I think the only thing that could make it better is the ability to gain root access without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

26. eBridge advertising
    June 22, 05:47 Reply

I really cant wait. PS for easy ROM switching after root check out ROM manager. I here it is a blessing from God (and, of course, ClockworkMod team :))Thanks

27. crowd SPRING
    June 22, 06:04 Reply

Its True That means those of you buying the T-Mobile Vibrant tomorrow will be able to use rooted and custom ROMS on it!

28. mac make up
    July 16, 09:03 Reply

Two methods are already available, and both are fairly simple.

29. we can expect some decent stock Froyo ROMs to show up as the widespread availability of the powerful Galaxy S will surely make it a hit in the developer community.

30. Glass Votive Holders
    July 26, 12:25 Reply

Yes. Rooting simply adds about 4 files to the file system, and all you need to do is remove them.

31. eBridge advertising
    July 27, 12:34 Reply

Sure you’ll be able to run custom roms based off the offical Samsung 2.1 release but good luck running anything not released by Samsung..Like froyo for example.Samsung isn’t required to release source to their drivers and without them your screwed.

32. plumber in Lewiston
    August 12, 11:35 Reply

The process for gaining root access on the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S is quite easy. Simply boot up the phone and flash a hacked update.

33. sale used cell phones
    August 19, 05:54 Reply

34. certified gemologist
    August 25, 10:43 Reply

Fantastic news!This should be the only site you need as far as learning about android development

35. Pepe Fanjul
    September 05, 11:08 Reply

Great news..The more people who get the handset, the more pressure that gets put on Samsung to maintain it and provide updates and fixes…Thanks

36. Cash for Used Cell Phones
    September 06, 14:21 Reply

.WOW! we can go out and buy the Vibrant tomorrow and root it immediately…Well the US Samsung Galaxy S variants have apparently already gotten root and are ready for your hacking pleasure…thanks for such a wonderful piece of work.