Rumor: Motorola Droid Reaching End of Life

Some interesting news to report tonight.  Apparently a document leaked recently in the Droid Forums indicating that the original Motorola Droid has reached end of life status (say it ain’t so Verizon!). This means it will be phased out of Verizon’s system in the next month or two.  Whether or not this rumor is true or not, it definitely makes me a little sad.  Despite this, I can’t say I am suprised with the Droid 2 supposedly launching sometime in the next few months, plus special Droid promos have been going on basically all summer.

Thankfully, developers will continue to carry the torch for this phone so it is not going away anytime soon (thanks devs).  The developer community is bigger than ever and as one of the few “developer phones” for Android, it’ll like still see plenty of action.

What do you think? Has the Droid reached end of life? Is this rumor true?

Source: Droid-Life

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4639 posts

The Wall Street Journal App Shows Android Phones Some Love

Tablet-less Android users may remember the Wall Street Journal’s puzzling decision to release their app exclusively for tablets back in November, and thus alienate the majority of mobile users who

Is the Xperia X10 Headed to T-Mobile After All?

We just had some very interesting news come across our desk regarding the Xperia X10 from Sony Ericsson.  The much lusted-after handset with the top-dollar price tag is due sometime

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Android Security Login

TechCrunch posed an interesting question today when they brought up the ease in which one might get around your Android login. Is it that much to get concerned over?

1. simon
    July 16, 03:06 Reply

How funny is this? it was just released in Sydney, Australia last week with Optus!

2. Robert M
    July 16, 05:35 Reply

It is gone. Once the Drod 2 was announced the Droid 1 days were numbers. I hope this wont effect Froyo getting added official on the device.

Thanks
    Robert

3. futuejohn
    July 16, 07:37 Reply

It was dead as soon as Google said they were building a Verizon Nexus One. Of course, the Droid Incredible beat it to the chase, but the effect was just the same.

4. Haggie
    July 16, 16:20 Reply

I'd rather have my rooted and over-clocked Droid than any other Android phone on the market today. Fast, reliable, grrat battery life, and it has every bell & whistle available.

I won't upgrade until the dual processor Snapdragon comes to market late this year.

5. ndrew
    July 16, 16:32 Reply

is it true or just hoax???

6. Phil
    July 17, 05:19 Reply

And in 8 months, the Droid X will be End of Lifed too.. At least the Droid's bootloader is not locked down like the Droid X, and you can install a custom Rom on it.

This makes my decision to get the T-Mobile Vibrant over the Droid X that much easier. At least the Vibrant has already been cracked.

7. oky
    July 18, 01:22 Reply

hah… is it true? i can't belive it!!!!!!

8. Lisa
    July 18, 09:21 Reply

I don’t think you can call any android device the best if it isn’t even running the newest version of the operating system.

9. Ygohome
    July 19, 00:44 Reply

When i contacted Asurion about a replacement claim for my lost moto droid they said they no longer have or send out replacement moto droids because they are being discontinued. So they sent me an incredible instead.

Based on that it sounds like the story is true.