How To: Make Yourself a Crumply, Sketchy Home Screen
One of the great things about Android is the extent to which users can customize the user interface to their taste. With just a couple of readily available apps, you set up your phone to relive the days of doodling in notebooks and passing notes.
- Install ADW.Launcher, the Paperless System theme for ADW.Launcher and Beautiful Widgets on your trusty Android device.
- Set ADW.Launcher as your default home app, and in the settings, turn off the status bar, hide app labels, set the theme to Paperless System, and turn on left and right action buttons and secondary action buttons. (How do you get to your notifications then? You set “swipe down” to open notifications and “swipe up” to show/hide notifications.)
- On the home screen, change your wallpaper. Use the lined paper that comes with Paperless System.
- On the home screen, add the Beautiful Home widget. In the settings, hide the widget background, change the widget text color to black, and download and apply the Dirty Paper clock skin and the Dirty Paper weather skin.
- Add the stock search widget. Set up shortcuts and action buttons to your liking. To exactly match the what’s shown here, add Camera, Phone, Browser and Maps as your ADW action buttons, and Facebook, Gmail, News&Weather and Listen as desktop shortcuts. (A swipe up at the bottom will reveal ADW’s tray, where you can add more shortcuts as well.) Paperless System automatically replaces icons for all system apps as well as a fair number of third party apps.
- For maximum sketchiness, install SketchWars, which is like Asteroids on a notebook of graph paper.
Let us know in the comments what you’ve done to make your Android phone unique to you!