Verizon and Motorola Both Acknowledge Droid X Screen Issues

Verizon and Motorola have issued a statements regarding the Droid X‘s screen problems. Some users noticed flickering and vertical banding on their 4.3-inch screens. One unhappy camper even posted a video of it on Youtube. According to Verizon, not all Droid X’s have this issue. It appears to only affect around 1% of them. The Htc Evo 4G also had issues with its 4.3-inch screen. Could this be something to watch out for?  Possibly.

Also, Motorola is claiming that they’ve fixed the issue and are still shipping the phones. Any Droid X owner that encounters this screen bug is encouraged to contact Motorola customer support or Verizon. Any Droid X owner that walks into a Verizon store with the problem will get a replacement phone. Their official statement is below.

“Verizon Wireless and Motorola are aware of a very small number of Droid X units that have experienced a flickering or banding display. Motorola has resolved the issue and is continuing to ship the phones. Any consumer who experiences a flickering or banding display should contact Motorola customer support center or Verizon Wireless.”

My hat is off to Moto and Big Red. They messed up with the screen a bit, but at least they’re handling it the correct way. They quickly fixed the problem and are offering a replacement to anyone that’s having issues. Bravo.

Source:  CNET

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Archos A5 Walkthrough [VIDEO]

Nicolas Charbonnier (Charbax) passed along his video walkthrough of the new Archos A5 MID where he shows off of a handful of the device’s features.  While he’s generally a fan

GSM Version of HTC EVO 4G or Incredible for Outside U.S.?

Gadget site Electronista is reporting this week that HTC may be producing a GSM device (codenamed “Ace”) with the  EVO 4G’s form factor for use outside the United States.  U.K.-based Pocket-lint, however,

Archos Announcement Next Month – Are Green Robots Involved?

As much as I’d like to play with Android on a netbook, I personally more anxious to seeing mobile internet devices (MIDs) and tablets.  Next month, we might get to

1. Diego!
    July 23, 01:26 Reply

Pay attention Steve Jobs! THIS is the way to keep your customers happy!

2. Wij
    July 23, 09:27 Reply

both of them must be fix the issue

3. Canuck
    July 23, 11:33 Reply

Wouldn't it be enough to offer the customers free rubber cases?

4. Lowlight
    July 23, 19:47 Reply

Now if only there was an Official Backup program. Having just replaced my Droid due to a camera stuck in Macro focus, I find it unacceptable that there is nothing built into the OS that has root privs to backup your data and sync it back when you swap in a new phone. Sure some data is backed up to Google/Gmail and you can back up some programs using Astro but if the program does not save its configurations and data on the SD card, when you restore them with Astro, it's as if you just installed them from the Market. Sure I could have rooted my phone to make a backup and restore it to my new one, thus killing my warranty but that's not acceptable for the 99% of customers that will have problems. There should be a backup app (Backup Pro doesn't count since Apps need to allow it to back them up) that I can schedule backups with. That way if I bust my phone suddenly I can recover to a new handset.

Rant aside … I love my Droid and so far it is the All in one device I've been waiting for and am happy to put my LG enV2 and Palm Tungsten T5 in a junk drawer. Sure the smart phones still need a little evolutionary polish but I'm 98% happy.

5. Hmmmm.. Not want to say but that seems to be a problem in a lot of Moto phones…Even my Razr from years ago had a screen problem issues…

6. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 05:32 Reply

IN most of the models problem would be seen but not in everyone,hope companies resolve this drawback…….

7. business financing loan
    October 13, 11:48 Reply

The phones are giving problem,its not at all good sign for company, flickering and vertical banding on screens is a one of serious problems to think upon…..Well it is better for Motorola to get out of these issues soon.

8. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 14, 12:51 Reply

Although Motorola and Verizon might have reacted quickly to earn praises, I don’t think their situation was the same with Apple’s antenna-gate.

iPhone 4 was more of a design issue, but still delivered a product as intended with high quality. Droid’s problem, from what I can understand reading this report, is a complete manufacturing defect. This is not even something that requires special reaction or the media giving praises comparing with Apple’s antenna-gate. Apple could say “it’s a design; don’t like it, don’t buy it”, but in this Droid case, that cannot be said!

9. business financing loan
    October 18, 04:40 Reply

Well as far I know that not all Droid X’s have this issue and only 1% is affected by this issue,which is not a big deal for company to cover up..

10. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 19, 07:10 Reply

Lol and the day it’s released, there will be several improved versions available, pre-rooted, loaded with goodies we want, and striped of bloatware we don’t. Soon after, there will likely be superior AOSP builds available. So I mean…..

11. Paige Brands
    October 20, 05:43 Reply

Well the Verizon and Motorola have come out with an official statement to address screen issues early adopters of the Motorola DROID X are experience,specifically, banding or flickering.

12. Rome Vatican tours
    November 15, 05:04 Reply

Well this issue appears to only affect around 1% of the droid -X.I think this problem will be removed soon.

13. unsecured business credit
    November 16, 07:26 Reply

I think the must think upon these issues,because flickering and vertical banding on their 4.3-inch screens are not small issues.

14. unsecured business credit
    November 16, 07:27 Reply

I think the company must think upon these issues,because flickering and vertical banding on their 4.3-inch screens are not small issues.

15. x cart shopping cart
    November 19, 05:46 Reply

It is wise to solve the issues present now, to avoid the unnecessary hassles and problems which may come forward in near future.

16. William Dircks
    December 03, 01:06 Reply

That’s great I love my Droid and so far it is the All in one device I’ve been waiting for and am happy to put my LG enV2 and Palm Tungsten T5 in a junk drawer. Sure the smart phones..Thanks for sharing these useful information!

17. Peoria Toyota
    December 03, 06:24 Reply

18. Frank Dirico
    December 07, 00:51 Reply

This is a discussion on Droid X Screen Issues acknowledged… within the Droid X Tech Issues forums, part of the Droid X Forum category; Verizon Acknowledges Screen Issues Affecting “Small Number” Of Droid X Devices Note the sick double-burn directed at Apple.Thanks for sharing with us…

19. Total Protect Home Warranty
    December 14, 00:35 Reply

Nice posting, There should be a backup app (Backup Pro doesn’t count since Apps need to allow it to back them up) that I can schedule backups with..Thanks for sharing with us..

20. Pontiac Parts
    January 08, 04:03 Reply

I love my Droid and so far it is the All in one device I’ve been waiting for.

21. I can understand reading this report, is a complete manufacturing defect. This is not even something that requires special reaction or the media giving praises comparing with Apple’s antenna-gate.