Motorola Cliq Gets Android 2.1, Sorta

The Motorola Cliq has gotten some Android 2.1 love sooner than we thought. According to an anonymous tipster, there’s a leaked ROM floating around out there that appears to be an official T-Mobile 2.1 ROM. No, they’re not releasing 2.1 OTA just yet, but an August time-line seems to likely. This looks to be a leaked testing version.

EngadgetMobile got their hands on this ROM and got it running on their Cliq. They’re impressed with it, claiming the speed and smoothness look promising. Still no official word on an official 2.1 release, but we’ll keep you posted. Check out the pics below!

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Download This: Weight Journal

This is the time of year when pretty much every person on the planet is (hopefully still) committed to cutting down on their weight.  We’re out of the holidays and

HTC will not update tablet line to Android 4.0

After consideration, HTC decides to leave their tablet line with a still-supported Honeycomb experience.

Moto 360 may be offered with a Silver wristband

The Moto 360 is a stunning looking smartwatch already, and arguably the best ascetically of the Android Wear offerings so far, but according to a recent discovery of an image

1. Tim
    July 23, 14:57 Reply

"They're impressed with it, claiming the speed and smoothness look promising."

Did we watch the same video? If anything, Richard specifically said the ROM is LACKING in these areas. They weren't even wholly impressed with it; Richard kept complaining about the lack of multi-touch.
    No worries though, with the update the phone can use LauncherPro to make the home screen silky smooth.

2. Josh
    July 24, 19:00 Reply

I installed it Thursday night, at first it was a little slow but it smoothed out and have been using it ever since. I had to install the live wallpapers.apk and livewallpaperpicker.apk and a few other system files for live wallpapers to work so all that’s lacking is multi touch. I’m also running adw.launcher. Smooth as silk.

3. chief
    August 11, 19:40 Reply

bro im a cliq user is there anyway to get this leaked rom

4. Drywall
    August 15, 21:36 Reply

It’s completely inexcusable for this not to have been officially released yet. Motorola originally said Q2, which ended when June came to a close. Then near the end of July we get this leak, which makes a release seem immininent… but no. Here we are, three weeks later, middle of August, and nothing but silence from Motorola.

I can’t wait to get rid of this Cliq. At this point it’s embarrasing.

5. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 09:22 Reply

The cliq of a android 2.1 is really very smooth and fine,its in demand with motorola n other mobile companies…….

6. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 15, 04:51 Reply

This as Android phones will get 3.0 in the fall. No more Motorola for me, they are shady and provide poor customer support. I’m as offended as I am disappointed. I will not purchase from Motorola again, nor will I keep my Cliq.

7. Yum Brands
    October 22, 02:55 Reply

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business…..

8. Buy Me Private
    November 07, 12:14 Reply

Motorola issued a statement about a month ago regarding this upgrade. They said they have taken their time to make sure the user experience is optimized. The *current* user experience is not good. Not with the phone, and not with the company.

9. Up Start Interactive
    November 30, 02:17 Reply

its being tested alright… its been being tested for 8 months for all we know and you are just waiting so you dont take some of the fame away from the flipout and the charm which have motoblur and 2.1.

10. Nissan 300ZX parts
    February 17, 01:02 Reply

This problem in a general sense, especially since vanilla Android seems to be off the table for the majority of phones.

11. Chanduxxyz
    July 04, 07:41 Reply

am using motorola cliq(MB200)i cant set live wallpaper  in my mobile ..how to install live wallpapers in my mobile ……and i had update to 2.1….pls send me the solutin to solve this problem