TouchWiz Launcher Ported to Un-Rooted Nexus One Handsets

If you haven’t seen or found it by now, it is time you know about it. Apparently a hacker over at XDA-Developers has ported the Galaxy S TouchWiz UI to the Nexus One in launcher format. That’s right, you can now install the TouchWiz UI on your N1 using a simple APK file! Having just tried it, I can tell you that it works very well, but users should be warned it is VERY slow.  You will especially notice the speed difference if you are or have been using using ADW Launcher of Launcher Pro.  Hit the source link to download and install! As always, let us know what you think!

Source: XDA-Developers

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

SiriusXM app adds new controls, tries to compete with slacker and others

SiriusXM, a name that used to be synonymous with great programming and extra change in your pocket, has fallen short as of late when it comes to keeping up with

EVO 4G Makes Great Videos [VIDEO]

Check out the following video, filmed entirely on an HTC EVO 4G.  Granted, Android phones don’t have an application (yet) for editing clips directly on the device like the iPhone

Fifth annual MobileBeat conference to focus on importance of design (July 10-11)

Register for the two-day event and save 20% with PROMO CODE: AndroidGuys

1. Fat Scooter
    July 24, 15:42 Reply

Soiling the good name of the late Nexus One!!! WHY!!!???

2. B-Rose
    July 24, 15:50 Reply

Hmm, seeing how all of the reviews I've read of the Galaxy S series said that the only BAD thing about this phone was the TouchWiz UI, I can't see myself going anywhere near this.

3. Rich
    July 24, 15:55 Reply

Tried it, it's pretty awful. Slow, and makes the app menu bit look like iPhone – so boring! Have uninstalled and def won't be using this again!

Previous iPhone users will prob like this on the actual Galaxy S, but Android users will hate it

4. jason
    July 24, 17:17 Reply

Having owned a nexus one and now a vibrant, I think it's a great interface when it runs smooth… Screens of apps are much better than the Rolodex, IMO; and there are a lot of other nice touches aside from the launcher. It's too bad they kept the touchwiz name for it considering the travesties that preceded version 3.

• @mauricegriffin
      July 26, 04:11 Reply

I'm thinking of making the same change (im hesitant to call it an upgrade) from the nexus to the vibrant. How is it? I feel like I would miss the trackball and the flash a little (although i mostly only use them in ways they werent intended such as trackball wake and a LED flashlight) is it worth it?

5. theweakend
    July 24, 21:08 Reply

ummmm why would you want to ever do this to a nexus one it just doesn't make sense to me. (no pun intended)

6. srdork79
    July 24, 23:11 Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that the phone in the picture is in fact, a rooted phone. It's running both Superuser and CyanogenMod. If you are going to post an article claiming that it's on an unrooted phone, then why would you post a picture of a rooted phone? I'm sorry, but that discredits this site, and the author in my opinion.

• JayEL
      July 24, 21:04 Reply

Srdork you are wrong. If you read the forum posting others claimed it works without root,
      And its also worked on a non rooted Droid.

In all, touchwiz is ugly.. don’t know why would anyone want
      it, especially on a nexus, but again that’s my opinion.

7. ikon
    July 25, 19:02 Reply

This is buggy on my nexus one with androind 2.2. Add a folder to the home screen and try to view it. The folder is is all stretched and yoy can’t click on anything.. can’t seem to get rid of it unless I restart the launcher. Oops.

Not worth it and its ugly.

8. ObsceneJesster
    July 26, 03:11 Reply

I guess this UI is just to much for the out-dated Snapdragon.

Mr.Hummingbird man-handles it though!