One of our friends and listeners to our weekly podcast gave us a heads up on that it seems it is kid of easy to brick your shiny new Droid X during a root/re-flash process. He gave us a link to the Droid X forums where it is talking about the things you simply don’t want to do while you are playing around at the root level of your shiny new phone.
Here is a brief sampling of what NOT to do from the post on the Droid X Forums:
2. If you chose to delete anything other than something that can be downloaded from the market, YOU took that risk. You have potentially just bricked your device.
3. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT HAS “BLUR” IN ITS FILE NAME.
5. This thread will be updated very frequently, before posting questions and what not, just post your problem, no questions please, I will be using this to help as many of you as possible.
6. Most importantly do not mess with the framework right now, there is many $600 papers weights laying around now.
7. DO NOT TOUCH BACK UP ASSISTANCE UNLESS ITS WINDY IN YOUR HOUSE OR OFFICE AND YOU NEED A PAPER WEIGHT.
This seems like wise advice to us! The poster goes on to say that unless you are willing to shell out another $600 for a new Droid X, that you shouldn’t be messing around a whole lot right now as the process is still pretty rough and new. Please, only you can prevent your phone from bricking, heed their advice! (Very Smokey the Bear-esque I know)