Motorola Open Sources Droid X

It appears Motorola may have finally given us what we wanted: the open source software for the Droid X. That’s right, now developers can mess around with the 4.3-inch beast even more! This isn’t quite as exciting as the 1-Click Root that came to the Droid X just a few days ago, but it’s still news. And I’m sure some crazy dev will have Froyo up and running on the Droid X in no time.

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

T-Mobile myTouch 4G (HTC Glacier) ROM Gets Leaked

Ok hackers and modders – time to start digging into yet another ROM! The T-Mobile myTouch 4G (HD) is still at least a few weeks away, but the signed ROM has already made its way onto the internet.

Facebook rolls out another Android app update (1.8.1)

Facebook has issued another update to their Android application today, putting v1.8.1 on the streets barely a week after its last update.  Normally such a quick followup like this results

Samsung finally hints at an update for Galaxy S4 storage problems

Recently, many buyers of Samsung’s new Galaxy S4 have been disappointed to learn that the 16GB model only offers around 8GB of user-accessible storage. To make matters worse, when Samsung

1,569 Comments

1. Rich
    July 31, 21:35 Reply

No developer is going to get froyo on except motorola because the bootloader is still completely locked. I expect better from android guys articles…

• David
      August 02, 06:17 Reply

Was going to say…

Hey, it must be open if they're releasing something as "open source". Right?

No, this is nothing but a Motorola/Verizon smokescreen to make their encrypted and closed nonsense sound less evil.

2. aino611
    August 26, 11:51 Reply

The Droid X is a great phone, and with that I really think that we should get an insurance for it. I recently purchased Ensquared Phone Insurance and I was very happy that I did, they offer up to $1000 claim limit with a choice of 1yr or a 2yr contract. You can check them out at http://www.ensquared.com

3. I was wondering if Motorola would eventually do the same for its latest and greatest smartphones. Then after a quick Google search, I found that Motorola did just that. Apparently on July 28th, Motorola released the source code for its DROID X. Now I’m not a developer, but i noticed some interesting entries in the 5 page source code library. First off, the kernel source is there, which should make for some fun throughout the dev community. Then I noticed that there are references to the bootloader and the RIL. Could it be this easy? Could this source-code be the key to that locked-down bootloader? Developers, if you would chime in and let us know your thoughts.

4. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 05:57 Reply

Its a very good information motorola open sources droid x,I hope now motorola make something phone with new extraordinary features……..

5. business financing loan
    October 13, 12:25 Reply

Great I was waiting for some kind of this,finally now developers can mess around with the 4.3-inch beast……

6. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 14, 13:06 Reply

I’m pretty sure the only part of Android that manufactures have to release changes to is the Linux kernel. Everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence. AndroidGuys got this wrong too. It does help ROM developers increase hardware compatibility, but that’s pretty much it.

7. Yum Brands
    October 20, 07:18 Reply

I don’t fully understand this open-source thingy with Android-phones. I understand that because Android itself is open-source, its licensing terms or something state that all the code made from it/with it needs to be open source too. But what does it cover? Everything Motorola has added to their phones on top of the base Android code??

8. Nightly Business Report
    October 26, 06:21 Reply

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.Good luck..

9. Victoria Cassano
    November 02, 06:00 Reply

This is what Motorola Open Sources Droid X should be able to compile/build into a working ROM, albeit without proprietary apps..

10. Rome Vatican tours
    November 15, 05:51 Reply

It is good post,I didn’t knew that everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence.

11. unsecured business credit
    November 16, 07:43 Reply

4.3-inch beast – I think this is the very right name given to this phone.But I also agree that Motorola has given us what we wanted.

12. x cart shopping cart
    November 19, 06:04 Reply

It is very good that they offer up to $1000 claim limit with a choice of 1yr or a 2yr contract.

13. Paul Dircksen
    December 03, 04:17 Reply

I love the hardware on the Droid X, but I do wish that Motorola was more open to the ideals of open source.Thanks

14. Everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence. AndroidGuys got this wrong too. It does help ROM developers increase hardware compatibility, but that’s pretty much it.

15. Fitness Exercise