Motorola Open Sources Droid X

It appears Motorola may have finally given us what we wanted: the open source software for the Droid X. That’s right, now developers can mess around with the 4.3-inch beast even more! This isn’t quite as exciting as the 1-Click Root that came to the Droid X just a few days ago, but it’s still news. And I’m sure some crazy dev will have Froyo up and running on the Droid X in no time.

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

AT&T Announces Motorola Atrix 2

Holy cow!  It’s just after midnight on the east coast and we’re on the eve of CTIA Fall 2011, so you know what that means… Press releases galore!  AT&T, going

LG Nitro HD appears in the wild, hitting Bell Canada soon

Recently, we showed you a leaked shot of LG’s new Android powered phone which will be hitting AT&T. It’s called the Nitro HD, and the guys over atPhoneArena got their

Miss Black Friday? Check out these penny deals at Amazon!

Ten Android smartphones for only one penny each for both new users and existing subscribers.

1,569 Comments

1. Rich
    July 31, 21:35 Reply

No developer is going to get froyo on except motorola because the bootloader is still completely locked. I expect better from android guys articles…

• David
      August 02, 06:17 Reply

Was going to say…

Hey, it must be open if they're releasing something as "open source". Right?

No, this is nothing but a Motorola/Verizon smokescreen to make their encrypted and closed nonsense sound less evil.

2. aino611
    August 26, 11:51 Reply

The Droid X is a great phone, and with that I really think that we should get an insurance for it. I recently purchased Ensquared Phone Insurance and I was very happy that I did, they offer up to $1000 claim limit with a choice of 1yr or a 2yr contract. You can check them out at http://www.ensquared.com

3. I was wondering if Motorola would eventually do the same for its latest and greatest smartphones. Then after a quick Google search, I found that Motorola did just that. Apparently on July 28th, Motorola released the source code for its DROID X. Now I’m not a developer, but i noticed some interesting entries in the 5 page source code library. First off, the kernel source is there, which should make for some fun throughout the dev community. Then I noticed that there are references to the bootloader and the RIL. Could it be this easy? Could this source-code be the key to that locked-down bootloader? Developers, if you would chime in and let us know your thoughts.

4. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 05:57 Reply

Its a very good information motorola open sources droid x,I hope now motorola make something phone with new extraordinary features……..

5. business financing loan
    October 13, 12:25 Reply

Great I was waiting for some kind of this,finally now developers can mess around with the 4.3-inch beast……

6. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 14, 13:06 Reply

I’m pretty sure the only part of Android that manufactures have to release changes to is the Linux kernel. Everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence. AndroidGuys got this wrong too. It does help ROM developers increase hardware compatibility, but that’s pretty much it.

7. Yum Brands
    October 20, 07:18 Reply

I don’t fully understand this open-source thingy with Android-phones. I understand that because Android itself is open-source, its licensing terms or something state that all the code made from it/with it needs to be open source too. But what does it cover? Everything Motorola has added to their phones on top of the base Android code??

8. Nightly Business Report
    October 26, 06:21 Reply

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.Good luck..

9. Victoria Cassano
    November 02, 06:00 Reply

This is what Motorola Open Sources Droid X should be able to compile/build into a working ROM, albeit without proprietary apps..

10. Rome Vatican tours
    November 15, 05:51 Reply

It is good post,I didn’t knew that everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence.

11. unsecured business credit
    November 16, 07:43 Reply

4.3-inch beast – I think this is the very right name given to this phone.But I also agree that Motorola has given us what we wanted.

12. x cart shopping cart
    November 19, 06:04 Reply

It is very good that they offer up to $1000 claim limit with a choice of 1yr or a 2yr contract.

13. Paul Dircksen
    December 03, 04:17 Reply

I love the hardware on the Droid X, but I do wish that Motorola was more open to the ideals of open source.Thanks

14. Everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence. AndroidGuys got this wrong too. It does help ROM developers increase hardware compatibility, but that’s pretty much it.

15. Fitness Exercise