March 29, 2015

Motorola Open Sources Droid X

It appears Motorola may have finally given us what we wanted: the open source software for the Droid X. That’s right, now developers can mess around with the 4.3-inch beast even more! This isn’t quite as exciting as the 1-Click Root that came to the Droid X just a few days ago, but it’s still news. And I’m sure some crazy dev will have Froyo up and running on the Droid X in no time.

Related Posts

1. Rich

No developer is going to get froyo on except motorola because the bootloader is still completely locked. I expect better from android guys articles…

2. aino611

The Droid X is a great phone, and with that I really think that we should get an insurance for it. I recently purchased Ensquared Phone Insurance and I was very happy that I did, they offer up to $1000 claim limit with a choice of 1yr or a 2yr contract. You can check them out at http://www.ensquared.com

3. small business loans california

I was wondering if Motorola would eventually do the same for its latest and greatest smartphones. Then after a quick Google search, I found that Motorola did just that. Apparently on July 28th, Motorola released the source code for its DROID X. Now I’m not a developer, but i noticed some interesting entries in the 5 page source code library. First off, the kernel source is there, which should make for some fun throughout the dev community. Then I noticed that there are references to the bootloader and the RIL. Could it be this easy? Could this source-code be the key to that locked-down bootloader? Developers, if you would chime in and let us know your thoughts.

4. Mykalai Kontilai

I’m pretty sure the only part of Android that manufactures have to release changes to is the Linux kernel. Everything else is under the Apache 2 licence, in which changes made do not have to be released back under the same licence. AndroidGuys got this wrong too. It does help ROM developers increase hardware compatibility, but that’s pretty much it.

5. Yum Brands

I don’t fully understand this open-source thingy with Android-phones. I understand that because Android itself is open-source, its licensing terms or something state that all the code made from it/with it needs to be open source too. But what does it cover? Everything Motorola has added to their phones on top of the base Android code??

6. sell cell phones for cash