Facebook for Android Receives Big Upgrade

Facebook for Android just got a big upgrade in Version 1.3.  By first glance,  you’ll immediately notice the difference in the user interface, with a photo reel at the bottom that lets you quickly flip through friends’ recent photos and videos.  Pretty neat.  Oh, and we should also mention that the upgrade allows users to check their most recent notifications.  In addition to this, users can post updates, search friends, and view video using H.264. You can also respond to friend requests and view Facebook events as well.  Damn good upgrade if you ask me.  Looking forward to a lot more changes like this.

Officially, we’re told the following features have been added:

• An updated homescreen with:
    • The ability to post a status update or search for friends with just one click
    • A new photo reel that enables easy viewing of photos and videos from friends in your News Feed
    • A draggable Notifications drawer where you can easily see if a friend posted a note on your wall, commented or liked a post or tagged you in a photo
  • Video playback from the app.  Similar to the Facebook for iPhone application, we are using the H.264 baseline profile for encoding videos
  • Support for Events.  You can now review your upcoming events, read your event details, and even RSVP – all from the application
  • Respond to friend requests without leaving the application

So Android fans, do you like it? Is the upgrade good enough? Let us know in the comments!

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

HTC One coming to T-Mobile for as low as $99

T-Mobile just announced that it is officially moving to no-contract plans, where it will offer a “new” way to buy phones. Along those lines, The Verge is reporting that T-Mobile will

New galaxy Note 8.0 images surface, showing off S-Pen and software

Just yesterday, we saw some real world shots of the yet-to-be-released Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. Now, there’s some further leaks, and they’re showing off the included S-Pen and the software.

Verizon Q4 and 2012 earnings: great growth all around

Yesterday, Verizon released their Q4 earnings, and total 2012 earnings. The growth seen on their front is terrific, as follows for Q4: 2.2 million net customer additions in the quarter,

1. @TheBrownWelsh
    August 04, 02:06 Reply

holy hell…

when Zuckerburg got an android, everyone flipped and started hoping he'd work on the application for Android users more.

Did NOT think it'd be this fast!! :P

• Neil Williams
      December 01, 11:01 Reply

Hi,

I hyave just taken ownership of my HTC and I think it is really good!, however when I use facebook on my HTC I am unable to see who has liked a status. It just says ‘2 people like this’ or ‘3 people like this’ etc!

Can anyone please tell me how I get to see who has liked a status?!

Thanks people!

2. archboy69
    August 03, 22:38 Reply

This is a pretty big update in the app finally. There will always people who complain about things..no chat, no facebook can’t find your friends for you, no doesn’t tell me where my friends are but hey its life.

Loving the new new changes and liking the changes.

3. Bob Fury
    August 04, 02:46 Reply

Its cool. I wish that when you mentioned friends by doing the whole "@" thing it would tag them.

4. John
    August 04, 03:11 Reply

Is the dashboard portrait only?

• Mark
      August 04, 04:09 Reply

Never understood this, did it in the previous versions as well

5. @jordanstaniscia
    August 04, 04:41 Reply

loving then events! Not loving the slideshow at the bottom too much.
    Now the two big things we need are notifications to stay in app and fb chat.
    But overall, I'm happier than I was about it yesterday!

6. Ikeman
    August 04, 04:49 Reply

im not seeing it!! i hope its not cuz im on a cliq!!!

• Justin
      August 04, 08:43 Reply

im on a cliq XT and i dont see it :-(

7. velazcod
    August 04, 04:55 Reply

Notifications still open in the browser.
    Notifications actually dont work properly UNLESS you open the app and refresh.

It's all still the same except for the UI improvements / skin.

The only good thing I can get out of it is that now we can watch videos without having to go to the browser.

8. antoniomusgrove
    August 04, 07:37 Reply

well it works a lot better than before (not saying much) but it's a helluva lot better i can actually use it now.

9. chan
    August 04, 08:44 Reply

Still unable to tag photos…..

10. schlong
    August 04, 09:13 Reply

Notifications are still not instant like Babbler used to be…. how am I supposed to catch that drunken photo with my schloong out before my boss does!!!

11. bob
    August 04, 05:23 Reply

i still cant view the pages i admin – pointless update

12. SnakeDr
    August 04, 10:31 Reply

Anyone else finding it really sluggish on the Samsung Galaxy S?

13. JohnnyMitch
    August 04, 16:31 Reply

I have the Cliq and of course I don't see it…this is depressing…

14. ProudGeekDad
    August 04, 16:48 Reply

A friend and I noticed that our battery usage has gone down quite a bit since installing the Facebook app. Both of us are running myTouch 3G with CyanogenMod 5.1.8

Anyone else having similar problems?

15. Dan
    August 04, 22:08 Reply

no chat, no tagging – its still a pretty cutdown interface. If i find myself walking back to the PC or trying to fumble with it in a tiny browser window 4 out of 5 times I want to use it then i might as well uninstall the app

16. Honn
    August 05, 00:20 Reply

Unfortunately I had to unistall it. Drained my battery too fast. I liked the new layout, but I´d rather have the old layout and make through the day without the need to charge it.

17. Erik Lee
    August 05, 08:13 Reply

Contact sync still isnt working on htc hero 2.1… you can view it under people/contacts but the service fails when it tries to retrieve.

Also – while in the new FB and going to the friends page im unable to download my friend list… it states that my list is too big.

18. The Shiz
    September 08, 12:51 Reply

Why keep playing around with this app? Just give it ALL the same features the iPhone app has & call it a day. iPhone fans would never put up with the mass amounts of FB mediocrity that Androiders put up with. Why give us an app that functions part on the web & part on the phone? This app is CRAP! (hey- that rhymes) just need picket sign & a mega-phone.

19. James Austen
    September 10, 17:00 Reply

I like this update. Tagging features need to be added, as well as notifications staying inside the app.

20. Tip
    September 15, 14:10 Reply

Since the update, my friends on facebook cannot see when I post on their wall. They also get old messages sent to them when I post on their wall or comment on one of their wall posts. I uninstalled the update and it then worked properly. However, the update reinstalled itself…UGH!

21. Androidett
    October 01, 10:04 Reply

The update is a start. I agree though, the app needs to rival Iphone’s and at the least, have a chat feature.

22. Steven Severt
    October 31, 19:06 Reply

It’s pretty cool but I wish I never had to leave the app. Also wish you could add tags to photos and status updates. I’m used to Facebook on Blackberry, which I liked a little better, but this is a good app.

23. sandi
    November 18, 19:56 Reply

I like the upgrade but I am on HTC evo and still can’t view videos? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

24. Ramon
    November 29, 19:21 Reply

cant post pics on my friends wall

25. Phil4
    January 24, 10:01 Reply

Check ReChat (facebook chat for android): http://refineandroid.doodlekit.com/
    – multiple accounts;
    – plain/bubble views. Customize avatar/font sizes.
    – font packs (download separate apk to keep memory).
    – customize income message notification: default sound/your sound file, LED, vibration, status bar notification.
    – chat history. Export (email) selected messages, open chat messages, whole history for a contact, whole history for all contacts. Archive attachment with 7zip.

Facebook features:
    – all non-chat permissions are revoked, customize period.
    – upload image (several share options)
    – send image to a contact (private wall post).
    – send message to a contact (as a private event or private wall post).
    – set status message.

26. Caroline
    January 31, 07:45 Reply

I can’t tag people in photos on Facebook on my Samsung Galaxy S. Is this a common problem or am I just missing how to do it?

Thanks

27. Dion Marshall
    July 28, 12:17 Reply

photo tagging abilities need to be added……………….. and remove the photo reel it is annoying

28. Anonymous
    September 09, 07:07 Reply

Tomorrow is another day , should have new features.

29. Fangshimei Fang
    October 24, 05:14 Reply

I just
    required some information and was searching on Google for it. I visited every
    pages that came on first page and didn’t get any relevant result then I thought
    to check out the second one and got your blog. This is what I wanted!

30. home alarm
    February 09, 10:24 Reply

I have been using facebook  app on my Samsung Tab (Android) and it’s awesome features they offer.