Nearly Two Thirds of Android Users on 2.1 or Above

The now familiar Platform Version Chart has been updated at the Android Developers site, and for the period ending August 2, it shows nearly 2/3 of users on 2.1 or 2.2. Android 2.1 accounts for 59.7%, and 2.2 for 4.5%. Together, that’s 64.2%.

With the rash of Froyo updates going out now, the 2.2 slice is likely to get a lot bigger soon, but it will mostly be eating away at 2.1’s share in the near term. We’ll also likely see the steady decline of 1.5 and 1.6 continue.

About author

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Founded on November 5, 2007, we've enjoyed bringing you the latest in Android news and rumors. Updated daily, we strive to deliver reviews, opinions, and updates on all things related to Android.

You might also like

News and Rumors

What is Verizon’s HTC Desire 6200?

New phone alert!  Someone over at Phone Arena was passed a pic of an internal Verizon computer screen.  There is nothing to add to this other than their tipster claims

News and Rumors

EXCLUSIVE: First Look at HTC Aria?

One of tipsters just passed along a few screen shots for an HTC device headed for AT&T.  They have been pretty solid in the past so we’re inclined to believe

News and Rumors

MyTouch 4G Hits November 3rd

The MyTouch 4G is going to hit the stores on November 3rd for $200 after a $50 mail-in rebate. Consumers purchasing the device also get a 8 GB microSD card

10 Comments

  1. Mike
    August 05, 10:18 Reply

    AAAARGH still stuck on 1.5!!

  2. Hank
    August 05, 10:33 Reply

    Just updated to 2.2 on the Evo 4G via OTA.

  3. Brian J. Sayatovic
    August 05, 10:57 Reply

    Sorry guys, but Motorola won’t update my Cliq beyond 1.5 so I’m part of what’s holding Android back!

  4. Epicanis
    August 05, 11:02 Reply

    As a victim of Motorola’s “CLIQ™ with MOTOBLUR™” (as they write it), which is apparently Motorola’s hated proverbial “Red-Headed Stepchild” phone line, with it’s long promised 2.1 upgrade apparently on the same release schedule as “Duke Nuke’em Forever” (i.e. “When it’s ready. Now shut up and leave us alone”), I just have one thing to say:

    [FORNICATE] YOU, MOTOROLA! FIX THIS DANG BROKEN CLIQ!

    (Some of us are somewhat unhappy being still stuck with the crippled MOTOBLUR™ interface and Android 1.5…)

  5. Ivan
    August 05, 11:42 Reply

    I wish 1.x would just decline and go away like the article says. But it’s not going to happen (due to what other comments are telling), and as long as 1.x takes > 10% of the market, most app developers will have to support it.

  6. mike
    August 06, 01:47 Reply

    YouTube has instructions for upgrading to 2.1 on US Cliq’s .

    Works on mine the only thing that the video referencing modmymobile website did not tell was that when entering username for blur press the menu key and change the cloud to the production cloud.
    I think it’s tons better than 1.5

    😉

  7. Billl
    August 06, 08:13 Reply

    If the carriers and phone makers such as Samsung wouldn’t just abandon their older but fully capable phones like the Cliq and Behold 2, etc. then everyone could move on to a uniform OS. Instead you have users like me stuck on 1.6, others stuck on 1.5.

Leave a Reply