Google Will Announce Market Enhancements Tomorrow

We’ve been wondering all day what Google will be announcing tomorrow, and we now have enough hints to make a fairly confident prediction: they will be announcing enhancements to the Android Market.

First, one of our readers tipped us off to the fact that a couple changes are showing up in the Market tonight. In the screenshot on this post, notice the History and Search icons in the suggestions. Those icons were not there earlier today, and as far as we can remember, the suggestions only previously included terms from your Market search history, not general search suggestions.

Additionally, the timing is about right for the “new payment options” hinted at last month to be announced. We’re fairly sure those options will include carrier billing for more than T-Mobile U.S. customers, who are the only ones who can currently put app purchases on their phone bill.

Delving into the truly speculative, we hope that the Market enhancements announced tomorrow will include a web-based interface and/or media purchases via the Market, both features previewed at Google I/O.

Thanks for the tip to Thomas Riley.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4639 posts

Images and details for Verizon’s Pantech Star Q surface

Expected to cost around $99 with contract, the Star Q will be aimed at high schoolers and college-bound students.

HTC’s Android 4.1 plans outlined for One X

HTC is set to deliver Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to the unlocked One X, according to reports surfacing this morning.  MoDaCo’s Paul O’Brien, who has an inside source, also advises that

Recently Leaked HTC Ruby (Amaze 4G) Photos Confirm Rumored Specs

A few newly leaked photos of the HTC Ruby seem to confirm some earlier rumored specs of this future juggernaut set to launch on T-Mobile in late October. The photos,

1. ChainsDD
    August 11, 20:53 Reply

Little behind? I tweeted about this yesterday, and sent you an email

• Locu
      August 12, 10:55 Reply

Nope, looks like they were right on time considering this is current news. “tweeted”, uhm, if there’s anyone out there like me I read blogs and avoid twitter. So your tweet has probably gone completely unnoticed – sorry. =o

2. Tomaco
    August 11, 21:00 Reply

I vote for “paid apps for whole world” instead of “app purchases on phone bill” somewhere in USA

3. counsel
    August 11, 21:08 Reply

I just want the payment thru carrier option. All else is … Google gravy…

4. Chefgon
    August 12, 08:14 Reply

I noticed those icons yesterday when searching for something, but for some reason I just assumed that they had always been there and I was just suddenly noticing them for the first time.

5. John
    August 12, 09:13 Reply

what about pay by paypal

• Locu
      August 12, 10:56 Reply

Paypal’s fees are outrageous, plus Google has a competing product with google checkout. I doubt Paypal will ever be an option.

6. James
    August 12, 10:32 Reply

I get the feeling that the announcement will involve something else. These changes to the market do not seem to be such a big deal that Google will be holding a special event to announce them. Let’s wait and see.

7. jdog
    August 12, 11:35 Reply

Since this has to do with mobile I hope at the last minute they do a “oh and one more thing” then bam they pull out the successor to the Nexus One with stock Android 3.0 on it. 😉

8. peterwill
    August 28, 00:58 Reply

I feel bound to their own lives upon how Google terrorist, the clouds a little bit of data errors, the next person’s life goes on all over.

9. Robert
    December 07, 01:12 Reply

I dont have this option for my market!!

my friend has it but not me…how do i get it!!?!?!?