Viliv S5 Tablet Running Froyo
The above video shows the progress that the Android community has made on porting Android to the Viliv S5 Tablet. As you can see, Android is pretty responsive and smooth on the device! This project could pave the way for Android on x86 devices. The biggest hurdle this tablet has are the proprietary Intel drivers for the chipset inside the unit, and either getting Intel to release them, or to get some sort of reverse engineering hack working for the unit.
According to the chatter surrounding the open source project, the community has an insider working at Intel who is helping. If so, chances are good that this unit will receive a full working port. Check out the specs of the unit below:
The specifications for the Viliv S5 are as follows (reference UMPC portal):
- CPU type: Intel Atom (Silverthorne)
- CPU speed: 1300 Mhz
- Graphics: Intel GMA 500
- OS: Various Options
- Display Size: 4.8″ 1024 X 600
- Screen Type: LED-Backlit LCD
- Touch Technology: Resistive (soft/finger) Single-touch
- Hard Disk: 32 GB SDD (other options available)
- Battery capacity: 23 Wh
- Weight: 395gm / 13.9 oz.
- Size (w/h/d mm): 154/84/24 mm