Notion Ink Adam Improving

Well, it’s been a while since we’ve heard any news about Notion Ink’s Android-powered iPad competitor, the Adam tablet. But it looks like they are giving us a glimpse, and it’s going to be an early Christmas. Notion Ink CEO Rohan Shravan¬†has a new blog post entitled “Inception!”, and the title refers to the Adam. He’s very excited about the product and can’t wait for the release. They’re pushing for November to apply it for approval from the FCC. Hopefully, it’ll be released in time for Christmas.

Notion Ink’s UI designers are hard at work, tweaking and modifying the UI. Now, I know what’s on your mind: the price. Shravan is saying that they want a price range of $399 to $498, which isn’t too bad, considering an iPad costs at least $500. No word on what version of Android it’ll run, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had Froyo or even Gingerbread. We’ll keep you posted as more news comes in.

How many people would buy this right now?

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

The Top 25 Android Phones as Decided by YOU

You might recall that last week we brought you the first Android Phone Power Rankings. The AndroidGuys staff got together as a team and listed the top phones from US carriers and ranked them from 1 to 25. Then, we turned around and asked for you to cast your vote in the FAN POLL. We were extremely curious to see what you guys think as a whole. What phones do you like the best? Do you think along the same lines as us?

Press 1.5 debuts with polished UI, tons of features

My favorite RSS app for Android, Press, was recently updated to version 1.5. The update brings with it some new features the app had been missing, solidifying its place on

HTC Desire 500 officially coming to Europe in August

According to a recent press release, the recently announced HTC Desire 500 will be making its way to Europe this month. While prices and full availability aren’t yet available, speculation

1. Rames
    August 14, 10:14 Reply

Sure, I wil buy it atleast for development purpose

2. Etienne66
    August 14, 10:37 Reply

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just hope the FCC approval goes well and we see it in November.

3. Matt
    August 14, 10:53 Reply

I’d buy it (probably the $450 with pixel qi and wifi).
    And they’ve said that it will run Froyo, and then upgrade to Gingerbread when it’s available.

4. Ekiliwindi
    August 14, 11:47 Reply

I’d buy 2 yesterday! Adam is the eMate 1000 Apple didn’t (and was never going to) upgrade to… the MessagePad too. So what if Adam v1 doesn’t have HWR? Onscreen keyboards are faster.

5. Jim
    August 14, 15:10 Reply

I’ve been wanting one of these for a long time now. I can’t wait to buy one.

6. Christopher Miller
    August 14, 17:32 Reply

I wanted one at the beginning of this year! and STILL want one! at $498 I’ll take two. :-)

7. Hasib
    August 14, 17:49 Reply

I hope I can get one from the first batch.

8. Dave
    August 14, 18:24 Reply

I’ll buy one, maybe two. I’m eagerly anticipating its arrival, though I’m bracing myself for the likelihood that it’ll have its share of defects. I like this upstart Indian company, I like the audacity of what they’re trying to do, and I really want them to succeed. But they’ve got obstacles to overcome that an entrenched player with deep pockets–like Apple–can roll right over. I especially expect the Adam to have some buggy software on rollout, though hopefully not so bad it can’t be patched. One thing you can say about the Apple iPad–despite the stinginess of its features–is that like most other Apple products, it is flawlessly executed. I don’t expect Adam to be like that out of the gate.

9. Aaron Buckner
    August 15, 00:33 Reply

I’m in for 1 probably 2 once my wife sees mine and tries to steal it :D

10. ondigo
    August 15, 10:31 Reply

I have been coveting one of these since seeing the reports from CES in January. I will definitely be buying one of the Pixel Qi versions; just haven’t decided which, yet. I have yet to see a competitor Android-based pad that compares.

11. ez
    August 16, 22:19 Reply

would like to get my hands on it.

12. Eric L Bendler
    August 23, 20:38 Reply

I will buy on with the dual screen and wi-fi. No need for the 3G cause I’ll just update from my phone if I need too. Paying for a second data plan is not bright.

13. carl
    September 05, 22:07 Reply

i found this way back in the beginning of the year at school and have wanted one ever since! i would buy one in a heartbeat

14. Shannon McCoven
    September 15, 23:23 Reply

I’d pay up to $1k for a, no-holds-barred, battery forever, super open-source, snappy speed tablet. Particularly if it came in a 12″ version.

I am using a wi-fi-only ipad atm and love the access to ebooks in *any* format, love the web surfing, love watching netflix movies in my bed when I’m not feeling well.

Adam tablet is currently my top choice among the tablets-to-be.

Don’t love the proprietary-only-ness of the ipad. The 3′ recharging cable is WAY too short (6′-8′ min IMO). I want a collapse-able full sized keyboard and Apple doesn’t sell one.

The controls over the ipad aren’t extensive enough. I want to be able to set whether the screen orientates in each program. Watching movies or reading in bed? You don’t want the screen to shift.

The Ipad is very difficult to hold, it’s slippery. A tiny bit of texture on the back, edges and part of the front that isn’t the screen would be nice.

Finally, the screen gets Sooo….filled with fingerprints so easily. Something a tad more fingerprint resistant would be nice with the part of the front that wasn’t the screen textured to avoid fingerprints.

I’m waiting till x-mas to see what my choices are for a 3G tablet. If Adam isn’t out by then I may wait till 1st quarter 2011. Please don’t release it if it’s really not ready and fully wrung out.

sincerely,

Shannon

15. rmc
    October 18, 14:43 Reply

I would pre-order one today if it were possible (NewEgg, J&R, etc). If it works well, I would probably get one or two more. I’m guessing my daughters would swipe the initial one just like they swiped our Kindle. Do not know about 3G, but definitely Pixel Qi.

16. kj
    October 20, 01:46 Reply

damn the fcc approval i want one right now…before i end up in ipad which i hope dont.