Introducing the T-Mobile G2! The Revolution Continues with First HSPA+ Handset

T-Mobile has come out and officially named the G2 as their first HSPA+ handset.  If you head tofirst-hspa-smartphone.t-mobile.com this morning, you’ll be redirected to g2.t-mobile.com where interested parties can sign up for more information.  The carrier is sending out emails teasing the device and promising details in the coming weeks.  We’ve pasted it after the jump.Now we play the agonizing waiting game.

T-Mobile is proud to have launched the world’s first Android-powered phone, the T-Mobile G1, which captured the imagination of developers and consumers alike nearly two years ago.  Now, we are readying its successor – the T-Mobile G2 with Google.  Delivering tight integration with Google services, the G2 will break new ground as the first smartphone specifically designed for our advanced HSPA+ network, which delivers today’s available 4G speeds.  In the coming weeks we’ll share more details about the G2, including information on how current T-Mobile customers can get exclusive first access. Visit http://g2.t-mobile.com to register for updates.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6577 posts

Big Android BBQ Announcement Tonite on AGTNFTW! Live at 9PM CST

Did you go to last years Big Android BBQ? Are you going to this years?  Do you love Android?   Do you have an opinion?  Are you Human?   If you

Sprint dials up LG Optimus F3 for visually impaired demographic

Sprint announced on Thursday that the LG Optimus F3 will be available starting from June 14. Priced at only $29.99 (with a $50 mail-in rebate reward card) with a two-year service

1. Graeme
    August 18, 09:10 Reply

I’m confused. I already have the G2,its what tmobile call the HTC hero! Is this not old news?

• Ramon
      August 18, 10:07 Reply

Interesting. First, TMobile doesn’t support the Hero, which is CDMA in the US (Verizon and Sprint only.) Second, TMobile has never called anything the G2. You may be thinking of the MyTouch 3G, which some people unofficially dubbed the G2, but it wasn’t.

• Glenn
        August 18, 10:18 Reply

He’s talking about the Euro Hero, which T-Mobile UK called the G2 Touch

• MonkeyBiscuit
          August 18, 10:27 Reply

Hmmm, weird naming… so is this a G2 that we are not allowed to touch? ;)

• Ramon
          August 18, 12:37 Reply

I see. My apologies then, this is a whole new phone named the G2 by T-Mobile USA. Rumor has it that in Europe, this will be known as the HTC Vision.

• Randolph
            August 23, 14:44

Its wierd how For some reason tmobile cant make up their names ….. It was going to be the HTC Vanguuard, as shown on the roadmap, and for some reason Now is the G2….. T-mobile Also needs to let out their 2.1 For the cliq already.. its been nearly 9 or 10 monthhs now!

• T-Mobile Employee
            August 24, 22:47

Motorola is responsible for releasing 2.1 not t-mobile and I am friends with a Motorola representative who said it will be our before years end.

2. Patrick
    August 18, 10:08 Reply

I guess this could fall under project emerald………but this better be a top of the top notch phones because if not so long Tmo. Sprint here I come.

• Dave
      August 18, 15:31 Reply

The EVO looks real nice and the network is better than TMO. ( not saying much there)

• Brian
        August 24, 22:52 Reply

You clearly have not done your homework. HSPA + at the end of 2011 will be faster than Verizon’s 4G when its comeplete (3 years from now). Now before you get into the battling back and forth about how I’m wrong. Do your homework. Read all the independant reviews. 42 mbps will be HSPA+’s capability, and no network can touch that. Not opinion, its fact, look into it, talk to people who know what they are talking about.

• steve
          August 25, 08:00 Reply

There is not now, and it will be a while before backhaul infrastructure supports this kind of speed.

3. JJ
    August 18, 12:53 Reply

It’s official name is the G2. I was under the impression that there was already a a G2 out as well, but I suppose I was wrong because I got a text message from TMOBILE today saying the “G2″ was coming soon – hence me visiting this forum to see wth is going on.

Not sure what the G2 is going to do, but so far, the Vibrant is one of the best (if not the best already) phones out there.

4. robert
    August 18, 12:53 Reply

why bother sending a message about the g2 @t-mobile then its not working any way. could of wait til you could actully read it on the phone instead of surfing the web.

5. Stacy
    August 18, 14:11 Reply

I have a G1, and I just got a message from TMobile to go to the site and sign up. If this is designed like the G1, but has all the processing power of the newer phones, then I’m gonna fork over the cash!! I ♥ my G1 (mostly because of the keyboard).

6. jeremy
    August 18, 16:44 Reply

Just got an email from tmo about the g2 and of course the site is down, I called them to inquire about and the gentleman I talked to said he had just heard about in five minutes earlier and that he was able to go to the site, which I can’t. He was only able to tell me that it will be able to support 4g but nothing else, and that he thinks that since its called the g2 that it should have a qwerty. If it doesn’t have a qwerty then I don’t want it, to quote another blogger “I find the touch screen keyboard more annoying than cathy griffin on caffein”.

7. Tre
    August 18, 18:27 Reply

I consider myself a Android/Droid fanatic. The myTouch3g and 3gSlide, are indeed not G2 phones. It was dubbed that for a min, but the myTouch3g line of phones. Are the official replacement for the T-Mobile Sidekick. My Roommate is a Android specialist @ Tmobile. And he has said that the G2 is indeed a different phone. It is the predecessor to the G1 and to launch the HSPA network for T-Mobile. He is going to be going to test the phone out soon. But I’m sure at that time more info would be on the net.

8. halr9000
    August 18, 21:42 Reply

argh…just bought a vibrant. and I love keyboard phones, so now I’m having regrets.

9. Larry
    August 18, 22:02 Reply

Halr900, you will be more pissed tofind out that for today only the vibrant will sell for 99dollars! BAM!! In Yo face!

10. tmofan
    August 19, 01:17 Reply

you guys need to surf more than 1 blog….. go to tmonews.com. yes the phone has an qwerty keyboard!!!!! there has been post about this phone for about 2 or 3 weeks now.

11. Nova
    August 21, 22:20 Reply

If your phone doesnt say G2 im Guessing its not the G2 so no you dont have it, the hero and mytouch are not the G2. Does anyone know when the G2 comes out?

12. JESS
    August 26, 11:03 Reply

PERSONALY IM STILL TRYING TO TWEAK OUT MY HD2 SO THIS NEW G2 MIGHT BE SOMETHING I MIGHT BE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING BUT NOT SOMETHING I’ll GO KRAZY ABOUT..BUT IMAGINE IF HTC PUTS A KEYBOARD ON A 4.3 INCH SCREEN!! NOW THATS SOMETHING TO GO KRAZY ABOUT!! CUZ I KANT STAND THE ON SCREEN KEYBOARD ON MY HD2 :~( ARGHH….

13. John
    August 26, 12:37 Reply

I hope that this phone will display 720p.That’s something that I like forward too.

14. kev pat
    September 03, 14:32 Reply

Stop makeing so many new phones and up date the ones now out. We get these new phones with A TWO YEAR PLAN. Why not make it one year. I am stuck with the non 3.5 3g. STILL HAS1.6