Rumored Tip: Sprint 4G Turned on in Ft. Lauderdale

We had a tip come in from one of readers named Brian, saying that he is seeing a marked increase in download speeds on his Sprint phone.  He resides in the Ft. Lauderdale area, which was slated for having 4G turned on this summer sometime.  If you live that area, let us know in the comments if you are having the faster download speeds there, we are looking to either confirm or deny this tip!

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Site Changes

Hey guys – Just wanted to drop in and let you know about some of the things we’ve been doing behind the scenes here at AndroidGuys.  Hopefully it gives you

T-Mobile intros $40 Simple Starter Plan

T-Mobile on Wednesday introduced its latest service option, the $40 Simple Starter plan. Touted as part of something larger unfolding this week (Day 1 of 3), the plan provides unlimited

HTC not concerned with lower end of smartphone spectrum

Rather than risking their brand image, HTC plans to focus on premium lines of samrtphones.

1. -=mirko=-
    August 20, 14:23 Reply

I get a 4G signal at home on the Boca Raton/Delray Beach border. Haven’t seen it anywhere else.

• Rich
      August 21, 08:38 Reply

East or west? I’m at Federal and do not see anything here.

2. lobwedge
    August 20, 14:49 Reply

I’m about 30 miles north of Ft Lauderdale in Lake Worth. When I turn on 4G my EVO just says scanning and never finds a 4G signal. The people at the Sprint store about six miles from my house assured me that I would be in the Miami / South Florida coverage area when 4G is turned on.

3. andres
    August 20, 15:36 Reply

i saw 4g signal miami downtoad few minutes ago, now is 3g again

4. Kevin
    August 20, 16:09 Reply

Seriously? Ft. Lauderdale?? Has anyone noticed that you can now get a 4G signal in Manhatten!?! That’s the type of market that will bring Sprint attention and make it a real contender. Good for Ft. Lauderdale but really, come on.

• Vince
      August 29, 04:06 Reply

Hey Kevin, I live in Ft. Lauderdale and can appreciate 4G being turned on here soon, but tell me something…..where’s Manhatten?

5. se7ven
    August 20, 18:35 Reply

Yakima, WA has it. They have a WHOPPING population of 84,074.
    Richland, WA has it. Their city is overcrowded with 48,580 people.
    Slumbering Kennewick, WA overpopulation exceeds 67,179. Yes, they have 67,180 citizens who get Sprint 4G. Pasco, WA has 32,066 – 40% of which are either meth dealers or prostitues. They too get Sprint 4G. I live in the 14th largest city in the U.S. There’s not even a rumor of when we get 4G from Sprint. People here are dropping their Sprint plans like wildfire here and going with TMobile. Sprint isn’t sure how well their service works under load. That’s why they’re starting in Podunck, Arkansas. TMobile KNOWS theirs works and already has it in a good percentage of the larger cities in the U.S. Additionally, TMobile’s 4G (HSPA+) operates at almost twice the speed of Sprint. Before you ask, I’m not affiliated with Sprint. In fact, I have a Droid and am with Verizon. As far as I can see, Verizon has fully saturated 0.0% of the market with their 4G (LTE). That’s right, 0 percent.

• dowter
      August 21, 00:29 Reply

OK se7ven, I bit it. The 14th largest city in the US is Indianapolis. So what’s with you and the small towns in Washington? And if you can help a little more, what exactly is Pasco’s proportion between methers and hos?

Anyway, we all know (or should) that companies start new projects with small pilot tests and then go big. Otherwise fixing mistakes in a big scale would be a waste of money.

We also know, or should, the list of cities in which Sprint will deploy Wimax by the end of the year. What we need to worry is how widespread the network will be within these cities. Because from my experience, verizon started deploying FIOS in my city two years ago. But it stops four blocks to the north, ten blocks to the east and another ten or so to the south of me.

Meaning, it is very likely that there will be reasons to bitch about Sprint’s Wimax network. But not yet. Right now bitching is only from jealousy. And we all know, or should, that jealousy is a juvenile trait.

• James
        August 21, 01:11 Reply

you gawd damn right i’m bitching, when i have to pay $120/yr more for my plan and i get to use it maybe 20-30 minutes a day in the area i live….

6. James
    August 21, 01:09 Reply

I live in North Richland Hills, Tx and i too do not get coverage for 4G(nor the rest of my town in North Tx). The college across the street north of me doesn’t get it, but if you go 3/10 of a mile south near the NE Mall, bam! Excellent coverage….WTF, so many areas of D/FW still doesn’t get 4G coverage…

7. jevel
    August 22, 11:38 Reply

After reading this post I decided to turn on 4g. And I have all 4g bars not too far from ftlauderdale in pembroke pines fl. It’s lightning fast . And it doesn’t come and go its steady and reliable

8. Alex
    August 23, 16:23 Reply

Got a great signal (4g) in a 3 mile radius in Miami – turnpike between SW 88 & 152 street…

9. FifthE1ement
    August 24, 01:00 Reply

Yes, 4G is now on in Davie and surrounding areas. I am getting anywhere between fair and excellent although some areas it drops out, although not quite as much as I expected! This is great so I’m guessing we can expect and official announcement shortly!

10. BitOgre
    August 24, 12:39 Reply

From what I understand from talking to a Sprint rep at a local store, it looks like what people are seeing when the see 4G in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/Palm Beach area is Sprint doing tests of the 4G network. Sprint will turn on a tower, do some sort of test (I’m guessing to make sure it works properly and has the expected coverage but I’m not connected to the industry so I have no way of knowing for sure), and then turns 4G the tower off until all towers are ready.

I think it is a good sign that Sprint is getting close to making 4G available to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/Palm Beach area but it is also possible that one bad test could delay final turn on of the whole system.

11. bigmix
    August 24, 13:51 Reply

It is true there is 4G in fort lauderdale between pembroke pines and cooper city but I test it out speeds 3mb download and. Upload 1mb

• jimmyjo
      August 31, 10:43 Reply

in cooper city now. no 4g signal.

12. manuel
    August 24, 17:11 Reply

well yesterday at night i had 2 bars from 4g signal on south miami beach by mistake i turn on the 4g antena and when i went to pick up my girlfriend from her job i saw 3g switch to 4g and when i was leaving the are it switch back to 3g i didnt test speed tho.

13. rey23
    August 24, 19:40 Reply

a month ago, i was heading to lincoln rd in south beach, and i got 4g signal, but 5 minutes after, it dropped to 3g,

• Mr.G
      August 25, 22:26 Reply

evo since june….pbc h e l p us all…….. wat A TEASE!

14. GotSprint
    August 27, 18:20 Reply

today i picked up 4G from oakland park blvd up to commercial blvd in ftl i did a speed test and it was 7551 down and 2130 up really fast speeds even when i had 0 bars i did speed test and it was still 650 down and 100 up

• GotSprint
      August 27, 18:22 Reply

on federal hwy sorry left that part out, works from dixie hwy over to bayview and commercial down to oakland park

• GotSprint
        August 27, 23:33 Reply

tonight i drove past commercial blvd on federal hwy and the 4G signal stayed good until cypress creek rd then i lost it when i got to dixie hwy going west, so i think the tower is on one of the office bldgs at federal and commercial

• GotSprint
          September 01, 02:33 Reply

4G lasted 2 days now wont connect, so i am sure they are testing it then turning it off, i can go into my settings menu and select 4g settings then hit menu then scan and it will find the signal attempt to connect then resume scanning, so they have us blocked out until launch date but if everyone does this from time to time then you can find new towers being tested and play with 4G at least couple days

• Timmy
            September 04, 10:15

I 4g between commercial and oakland park as well, yesterday around 630pm (9-3-2010).

15. andres
    August 28, 20:05 Reply

Good to know, waiting for north Miami 4g

16. Miles
    August 30, 07:51 Reply

Kevin, you represent what’s wrong with some NYers my friend, 4g for South Florida soon!

17. Ron
    September 06, 07:50 Reply

I live in Plantation, FL (suburb of Fort Lauderdale) near Sawgrass Mall. No 4G signal. Will keep checking.

Had a recent trip to Las Vegas where I was able to get a strong 4g signal. was able to download shows with hotspot on laptop and use phone in elevator of casino. It was awesome. Can’t wait to we get it here. Got an extra battery and a wall charger so I won’t run out of juice.

• Gotsprint
      September 08, 05:06 Reply

yes it went off for a day and now its on for good, signal starts at oakland park goes up to cypress creek, and between dixie hwy and the beach cant wait for more towers to get turned on

18. Dave
    September 08, 17:34 Reply

I am able to get FULL 4G signal at around I95 and Yamato the other day… I cant wait to see what the 4G can really do….

19. Mr.G
    September 08, 21:21 Reply

On sunday the 5th…caught a “4g available” on the overpass on Woolbright and 95….drove around N AROUND ,,NOTHING , ZILCH….BUT CAUGHT A 4G FLash ROUND CONGRESS AND WOOLBRIGHT…DROVE NEAR WXEL AND LITTLE LEAGUE towerS naa, nothing zilch havent a clue ….Wat A tEASE…Malvin

20. Mr.G
    September 08, 21:21 Reply

21. Emilio G
    September 09, 20:45 Reply

Got a very strong 4G signal in Delray Beach in and around Linton Blvd. Was heading North on I95 and lost it right before the on ramp to Woolbright. Did a speedtest and got 6mbps down and 1mbps up. Very cool!

• Gotsprint
      September 15, 18:22 Reply

yes i also got 4G in that area works great !

22. Jonathan W
    September 15, 09:06 Reply

THere is 4g signal in Fort Lauderdale. On university drive, in between stirling and griffin. I was at the denny’s there and turned on my 4g on my EVO just to check it out, and it was coming in with 4G. It was awesome!

23. Esjea
    September 15, 10:05 Reply

I got a 4g singal in Ft. Lauderdale while driving down sunrise blvd. between sunset strip and State Rd. 7 (441). In some areas I had all bars.

• Gotsprint
      September 15, 18:20 Reply

that is not fort lauderdale, that is plantation area to south of sunrise blvd and lauderhill area to the north of sunrise blvd

24. Mr.G
    September 15, 23:58 Reply

got 4g signal around 45th street and 95 (congress ave areea). pbc wed. afternoon….4.6 speed

25. WJFJ
    September 16, 21:48 Reply

Got 4G signal on my Sprint EVO while traveling on Congress Avenue between Woolbright and Linton Blvd all this week 9/13/10. Strongest signal between Lake Ida and Atlantic Ave. Very very fast connection and very smooth video streams. Checked the Network Provider, it was Sprint. Noticed underground cable being installed along Congress Ave.

26. charles
    September 20, 15:53 Reply

I just got 4 g in the Boca/Del Ray area.. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and don’t get it here but enjoy it when I travel for business to Del Ray! Weird… Del Ray?

27. dale
    September 23, 11:14 Reply

Univirsity betwee stirling and sheridan st. That area has 4g. Every day for this week, there is a home depot that’s were I go and thbats how I know. Speed is 3mps upload 1mps

28. DC
    September 23, 13:56 Reply

I just got 4G signal between 151 st to 135 st on West Dixie Highway……. the live tv feed on channel 7 looks G88888888

29. Gotsprint
    September 23, 21:52 Reply

Today i got 4G in the area of W Sunrise Blvd and I-95 in Ft Lauderdale !

looks like they are moving right along and we should have full coverage by spring

• Gotsprint
      September 25, 02:24 Reply

the tower is just north of sunrise blvd on the west side of i-95 and the tracks,
      tower covers davie blvd north to oakland park blvd and almost to andrews ave west to just past nw 31 ave

30. shanan1gans
    September 23, 22:11 Reply

Got spotty 4g for the first time. In Miami (Kendall) area. Was on for a few minutes and then disappeared. Can’t wait for steady coverage. Going to test in Orlando this weekend, will report back!

31. HellYeah
    September 24, 21:52 Reply

Got strong 4G signal on Bicayne between 125 and 135 street in miami. the HQ on Youtube is crystal clear with zero load time. This is worth an extra 10 bucks a month

32. shanan1gans
    September 27, 17:35 Reply

Back from Orlando. Had great 4g coverage near UCF. Was able to stream music and video with out any interruptions. I really wait for it to be like that in South Florida!!!!

33. Miles
    September 30, 07:32 Reply

I got a 4g available over the weekend, but could not connect. pbc- lakes and Australian

34. Gotsprint
    October 01, 17:23 Reply

you can download this app to your phone and run it while you are driving around and it uploads your coverage to the map for others to see when 4G is up

it is a very cool app to show where 4G is

35. Mike
    October 02, 03:43 Reply

I live in Davies, Florida (12 me west of Ft. Lauderdale) and started getting a 4 G signal yesterday

36. Bill
    October 04, 11:19 Reply

I have a 4G signal at 45th Street in West Palm about a mile east of 95. According to speakeasy.net/speedtest I am getting 7.2 Mbps.

37. andres
    October 06, 00:55 Reply

Gotsprint thanks for the app, I found just what I looking for

38. Gotsprint
    October 07, 21:42 Reply

ok everybody just seen the black dot on south florida on clear.com which means we will be launched fully within 3 months ! so by jan 1st 4G should be complete in dade broward and palm beach ! we should see a lot more towers start coming online so check your phones often run the map app when you driving around

39. Miles
    October 08, 07:57 Reply

4g on military and northlake, weak but still 2.5 mb down

40. Hito Mix
    October 09, 03:12 Reply

Miami Beach, near Surfside – just received a Overdrive Router and picking up 4G signal.
    About 2-3 MB downstream and continous signal…

41. jimmy 8125
    October 12, 10:30 Reply

I got 4g on my Evo in the Hollywood area yesterday on the turnpike from about 595 to mirimar parkway

42. tony
    October 14, 08:40 Reply

No 4th coverage in the south Florida area as of 10/15/2010 I have an evo

• Gotsprint
      October 14, 18:48 Reply

as it states above some areas have towers turned on some dont

43. Craze
    October 16, 13:28 Reply

There is 4G in Kendall by the turnpike!!! I have inside information that 4G will be in Miami full throttle on Dec.1st!! Can’t wait…

• Gotsprint
      October 16, 15:27 Reply

well i dont think they can have it done in 6 weeks, there is still 100 towers that need installed, i would say jan 1st, sure they may announce it launched but there will be another 10 towers needed when they do, south fl was put on clear map on oct 6th which means coming within 3 months so that is oct nov dec launch jan, but hey you never know they may have 6 or more crews doing towers 2-3 each county,

44. jimmy 8125
    October 24, 10:37 Reply

4g on thw sawgrass express from about sunrise to sample road

45. Sean
    October 25, 11:48 Reply

In the office inside the presidential circle building in Hollywood. Its about 1 mile west of 95. The signal is strong and speed is Download 6899 kbps and upload 1145 kbps. Its awesome. I tested this on samsung epic.

46. Gotsprint
    October 30, 18:41 Reply

ok yesterday looks like another tower just went on somewhere near i-95 and oakland park blvd

47. Gotsprint
    October 30, 18:41 Reply

make sure you update your prl and your data profile often so you get the new towers to auto connect

48. Gotsprint
    November 11, 17:37 Reply

new 4g tower at cypress creek rd east of i-95

49. Gotsprint
    November 15, 01:44 Reply

ok i seen some guys working up on a tower at mc nab rd and i-95 i think that will be the next tower to go live

• Gotsprint
      November 23, 15:36 Reply

OK THIS TOWER IS ON NOW, COVERS WEST ALMOST TO NW 31ST AVE NOW

50. Aride4ever
    November 17, 14:54 Reply

4g turned up by 44th and nob hill. Its a weak signal but was getting 2.2 down on 4g and .68 on 3g on a Epic 4g. I was in Health south rehab when I got the signal. Nothing in Coral springs yet.

51. Gotsprint
    November 18, 03:30 Reply

new 4 g tower near e oakland park blvd and dixie hwy

52. lawkw
    November 19, 16:27 Reply

FYI – I started getting a pretty decent 4G signal in Boynton Beach today. Corner of Federal and Boynton Beach Blvd. It’s about time!!

53. JOSE
    November 19, 23:55 Reply

tower upgraded to 4Gin Miami Gardens on the North side of Opa-Locka airport near NW 57th ave and Nw159th st

54. Gotsprint
    November 23, 15:39 Reply

HEY EVERYONE MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE YOUR PRL LIST EVERY DAY, SOMETIMES THERE ARE UPDATES 3 TIMES IN A DAY, THIS WILL ENSURE YOUR PHONE WILL CONNECT TO ALL THE CHANGES MADE IN TOWERS PLUS THE NEW 4G TOWERS.

AT THIS RATE WE WILL HAVE 4G 75% DONE BY CHRISTMAS

AND 100% BY END OF JAN 2011 !

55. EDUARDO
    November 29, 13:58 Reply

I’m at Sunrise, FL here I have 4G

56. John Sullivan
    December 12, 15:55 Reply

Very weak csignal at Cypress Harbor. 4G goes on and off.

57. Anonymous
    April 05, 21:56 Reply

Today I was in a Sprint store at Commercial blvd and NE 17th ave and all the 4G phones there had 4G signal.