Kyocera Zio Now Available from Cricket Wireless

Attention Android fans: The Sanyno Zio from Kyocera is now available from Cricket Wireless.  The Zio is the first Android phone available to Cricket Wireless customers and features a 3.5-inch WVGA touchscreen, 3G web browsing, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, a 3.2-megapixel camera/camcorder, MP3 capabilities with a MicroSD slot, and 512MB internal memory. It is a very speedy, cheap handset.  The Zio will launch with Android 1.6 but users will be getting Android 2.1 in the coming months.  You will find this phone on sale for $249.99 and it gets its own $55 Android service plan which includes nationwide talk, text, email, web, mms, Android Market access and international capabilities. Check out the hands-on. It looks pretty damn sharp for a phone with that price. It is really nice to see Cricket getting an Android phone.

Source: Cricket Wireless

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4639 posts

Deals & Steals

LG gives away free Google Cardboards to make virtual reality mainstream

In a bid to integrate virtual reality (VR) to day to day life, LG is giving away Google Cardboards for free with the G3. Google Cardboard can be paired with

Samsung trademark applications hint at future Galaxy stars

Every once in a while I like to swing by the U.S. Patent and Trademarks Office (USPTO) to see what sort of hints I can stumble over. Are there any

VOTE NOW: 3D on Android Phones, Gimmick or Must-Have?

Are you excited about the emerging 3D trend in smart phones? Maybe you can’t stand the feature and don’t want it near your Android. Sound off with our latest poll.

1. BECKY
    September 05, 02:14 Reply

BUYER BEWARE…..this phone still has glitches…..the phone itself is nice…..however…..you will not be able to use the internet…..this means no picture messaging…..no internwt browsing and so on until at least November…..for now anyway…..but who actually knows…..so I have paid $250.00 for this phone and I am paying $ 55.00 for a plan that I am pratically not even getting my use out of…..this really sucks…..

• Aaron
      September 09, 21:32 Reply

Hey Becky, I was considering this phone. We have Cricket here in Chattanooga TN and I am tired of not having the use of a smartphone on this network. So what’s the scoop on yours? It can’t browse HTML yet? No apps work? Can’t download apps? I talked to one Cricket rep about the phone and plan and they never once mentioned no internet til November. What area are you in?

• Octavio
        September 12, 05:18 Reply

Aaron……….get your Zio! I have been using my phone A LOT in the last week and downloaded a bunch of apps, (Pandora, Rhapsody, Tune-in-Radio, TV.com, and a bunch more), all work great. I connect to my WiFi at home to view special programs from TV.com, it works great too.

Make sure you test the internet before you leave the Cricket store, that way if there is an issue with programming they’ll fix it. Once you get online you should be able to download apps.

• Octavio
      September 12, 05:08 Reply

I have had my ZIO for one week. Everything works as advertised, internet browsing, picture messaging, GPS, etc. The problems Becky is having is probably due to programming. I recommend going to a Cricket store and having the phone reprogrammed to the $55.00 Android plan. It happened to me the first day I bought it but after they reprogrammed it everything was working great.

I definitely recommend this phone!!!!!!!!!!

• Danny
      October 06, 20:44 Reply

not true I have this phone and have had it since late september and it works like a dream

2. Von
    September 18, 15:16 Reply

FANTASTIC. Everything is working perfectly. I have loaded it up with everthing I wanted and there is still room for more. I also recommend this phone.

3. JGV
    September 24, 02:49 Reply

I have been using the Zio for two weeks. Phone reception, internet, text and pic messaging, WiFi and GPS all work fine. I bought mine off the official Cricket website with overnight shipping as an upgrade for my existing Cricket phone. All I had to do was call Cricket and activate it once I received it (activation process took about 5 minutes). No problems at all since then. I get better reception here in Houston than some people with the Verizon iPhone plan in this area.

4. Robert
    October 05, 14:12 Reply

I love the phone, only thing that keeps on irritating me is the internal memory. Keeps on telling me its getting low and I have to go in an kill or unintall some apps. Any idea on how to keep this from happening? I do have some programs that control it OK but still needs attention every once in a while.

5. Brad
    October 12, 15:01 Reply

So I picked up a used Zio on Ebay for under $200 …. and I got the WiFi to work right out of the box….setup my Gmail, even downloaded several Apps with no problems, … but when I called Cricket to get it activated, they told me they couldn’t do it over the phone and told me to go to nearest Corporate Cricket store.

Went to 2 different Corporate stores and both told me that it couldn’t be activated because it was “in inventory” at another store… whatever that means.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it activated ?

6. Ines
    November 11, 23:37 Reply

Probably the reason it cant be activated is either cause its active in another account or it is reported as stolen, if it is active in another account just wait 3 months starting on the last day a payment was made and the account automatically gets disconnected =)

7. Mikhayla
    November 14, 00:55 Reply

this is not true, the apps and internet all work.
    everything works fine.
    no problems with it.

8. Aaron
    December 31, 16:51 Reply

just waiting for the new update to 2.1 but i will never see this update from cricket they lie update for ever will be a month away hey when will the phone be updated will a month from now will always be the case with cricket.

• Eddy
      February 24, 18:21 Reply

No kiddin! I’ve been waitin 4 months for this update. Come on Cricket get with it. We pay are bill.

9. bren
    March 04, 15:34 Reply

I love this phone

Everything works wonderfully.
    No Glitches.
    I am from Chicago.

10. Jennlane
    April 10, 13:03 Reply

Phone is apiece of crap, had it for 2 months and it already stopped working….