(UPDATE) Motorola Backflip Rooted, Courtesy of ModMyMobile

As the title of this article (and blurrycam shot above) indicates, the guys over at ModMyMobile.com have gained root access to the MotoBlur-packin’ Motorola Backflip. I know what you’re thinking: “Another crazy root process that we’ve never seen before”, but actually, they just used the Droid 2 root method that we told you about on Wednesday and it seemed to work. Overall, it looks like the Backflip just got a little better (but to be honest, it couldn’t have been much worse).

No ROMs as of yet, but we’ll keep you posted. Is anyone planning to root their Backflip?

UPDATE: We forgot to mention that this root method also works with the Motorola Cliq XT. Enjoy!

Go Android!

Source:  ModMyMobile, ATTDroids

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Facebook working with HTC on a new device, launch in 2013?

The rumors about Facebook phone never stops, and who can stop rumors, right? We heard a long time ago that Facebook is getting together with HTC to make a Facebook

Alleged HTC smartwatch running Android Wear leaks

We’ve seen some rumors mentioning HTC’s smartwatch running Android Wear. It is allegedly due this fall under the name “HTC One Wear”. We have a new development when it comes

Alcatel unveils new Scribe HD LTE and 1080p Scribe X

On the heels of yesterday’s announcement of three new devices from Alcatel, The company has announced two new devices in the same vein: the Scribe HD LTE, and the 1080p Scribe

1. BillLandon
    August 28, 10:55 Reply

Yes, I want to root my Backflip so I can use WiFi tether code.

2. Sean
    August 28, 13:59 Reply

Yes I want to root my Backflip also. Please keep us posted if any ROMs come out.

3. mike
    August 30, 11:34 Reply

yes i have backflip and thinking about it what can it do once its done and is there a way to unlock it to T mobile. thanks

4. eled
    August 30, 13:43 Reply

I can confirm this method works with backflip

• mike
      August 31, 00:28 Reply

hey thanks, what is better about the backflip when its rooted?

5. bornagainnc
    August 30, 20:40 Reply

this also works on the cliq xt. and the cliq xt DOES have a custom rom, even if it is 1.5 it is much faster and much more stable.

6. rodney etienne
    September 04, 08:17 Reply

i keep hearing about the cliq xt root but only the quench has actually been shown in video. that blurry cam shot is of a cliq you can tell by where the menu, home ,and back buttons are located. on the cliq xt there is four buttons and a track pad two on either side, so until someone actually shows a video with a cliq xt(not cliq cause i have both of them a rooted cliq running beclair beta 4 and a unrooted xt),cause i know the difference then i will be a true believer. shakim.

7. rodney etienne
    September 04, 08:20 Reply

also running an arm5.bin when the xt is arm6 doesnt make sense.

8. Tony Mobily
    October 10, 19:22 Reply

Hi,

I have a Motorola Backflip, and I am afraid this method doesn’t work :-(

I think quite possibly since this was published, Motorola rolled out an update which “fixed” the phone…

Do you have any ideas if that could be the case? I am not getting a root shell, and rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exits in about 10 seconds or less…?

Merc.

9. Paige Brands
    October 22, 02:51 Reply

his is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.The provide information about backflip..its really nice..

10. Buy Me Private
    November 07, 12:12 Reply

I’m amazed it took this long,I actually even didn’t know that it’s not rooted yet – you would think that such an old phone is. Are there even older models still without root?

11. Up Start Interactive
    November 30, 02:15 Reply

hey thanks, what is better about the backflip when its rooted? i have backflip and thinking about it what can it do once its done and is there a way to unlock it to T mobile

12. 240SX parts
    February 17, 00:17 Reply

The root access to the MotoBlur-packin’ Motorola Backflip. I know what you’re thinking..Thanks