Droid Pro = Global Droid 2

We’re getting news from Engadget that the rumored “Droid Pro” is actually a global version of the Motorola Droid 2.  Big Red may choose to call it the “Droid 2 World Edition” or “Droid Pro,” but it’s nearly set in stone that it will be a world phone (i.e. it will work on both CDMA and GSM networks). As of now, there aren’t any Android world phones on Verizon, so this would break new ground. Presumably, the specs and form factor would be the same as the Droid 2, but we’ll keep you in the know as we hear more.

Anyone excited about the Droid Pro?

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Rumor: 2GHz HTC “Sabor” to Arrive with Gingerbread Late 2010 [UPDATE]

I love juicy rumors like these.  According to Oxford-Zeiss Content & Research Guide (OZCARGuide), HTC is working on a 2GHz “Sabor” device for Sprint, expected later this year or early

Moto G details leaked by German retailer

Motorola is expected to formally introduce its next smartphone, the Moto G, tomorrow at 9AM EST. It’s here, through Motorola’s livestream broadcast, that we should see the debut of a

Location sharing app Glympse gets major update

Glympse, perhaps our favorite way to share our location with friends and family, has completely redesigned itself and tossed in a bunch of new features. Available immediately in the Google

1. Bryab
    August 28, 10:32 Reply

> As of now, there aren’t any Android world phones on Verizon
    I think you meant GSM?

• JW
      August 28, 13:57 Reply

I believe the point they were trying to make was that there are currently no android phones on Verizon that have the GSM capability while will retaining the CDMA compatibility.

2. Dan
    August 28, 16:20 Reply

This is all I have been waiting for to ditch my 3gs and at&t….finally an global android phone!

• Suraj
      August 29, 03:03 Reply

You know t-mobile is GSM and they have a little something called UMA where whenever one connects to a wi-fi network, all calls are routed through the internet (incoming and outgoing) and originate from the U.S. This is a huge draw for international travelers because you can take your US phone overseas, connect to a local wi-fi network and still receive and make calls on your US number as if you’re still in the US without international roaming charges! Blackberry’s do this out of the box, and the Android G2 comes out Sept 29th which out specs the Droid 2 is rumored to have UMA. The G2 has confirmed to have HSPA+ data access which gives it internet download speeds which are faster than Sprint’s 4G service…. and they don’t charge you extra for it.

Plus T-Mobile’s network is better overall.

3. tds01
    August 28, 23:55 Reply

I’ll upgrade my Moto Droid to the Droid 2 Pro when it hits. I’m just happy I’ll finally have a decent keyboard once I make the switch – l love my Moto Droid!

4. jo
    August 29, 11:17 Reply

I am a new nexus owner, and was a 3 month brand new Motorola milestone owner..I am very disappointed with Motorola support..too long waiting for rom update..i will not buy any Motorola product nor suggest moto product to our community again..I am very happy with my second hands nexus one phone now..

Die moto die…follow palm destiny! !!!

5. Moto Love
    September 05, 18:20 Reply

Jo.. Really? That Mad at Moto?

Nexus One died the bad death of falling on its own sword, Moto will live on no matter as Jah is cracking the whip on the company.

I have to say Moto has a long way to go, but still a good USA based company and if anything is going to pull the US out of the recession it’s going to be buying American products, not Korean, or European handsets..

My $0.02

6. KB
    September 07, 21:59 Reply

Have been waiting a long time to upgrade with the hopes of a global Droid (SIM card). This news made my day and my decision! Finally a chance to enter the 21st century with all the right bells and whistles.

7. ravenlore
    September 15, 09:10 Reply

While I realize this thread is comatose if not dead…i’m waiting to learn if the Droid Pro will also be an LTE-capable device. Or hoping to learn that?

8. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 09:33 Reply

I think,t-mobile is GSM and they have a little something called UMA where whenever one connects to a wi-fi network, all calls are routed through the internet (incoming and outgoing) and originate from the U.S.

9. business financing loan
    October 15, 03:05 Reply

Its really good that there aren’t any Android world phones on Verizon, so I think this would break new ground.

10. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 15, 05:20 Reply

It has many of the same specs as the original DROID 2, but offers a faster 1.2GHz processor.

its really interesting………thanx…….

11. Italy Tours
    October 18, 08:31 Reply

I agree functions of this phone are good but sometimes I have some complaints too.

12. Bo Brandser
    October 22, 03:07 Reply

i think now Android fragmentation is happening to the *exact same device models*! Behold the Droid Pro/2, the Samsung Galaxy model variations..

13. Buy Me Private
    November 07, 12:17 Reply

This is all HP had to do initially after purchasing Palm. Release a similar device like this with a tough screen, qwerty keyboard, WebOS/WinMobile. How hard would that have been

14. Up Start Interactive
    November 30, 02:20 Reply

I think it’s worth the $50 upgrade over the basic Droid 2.I just ordered my droid 2 global last night

15. Judith DiRenzo
    December 04, 00:32 Reply

Wanna get D2 global!!I think it’s worth the $50 upgrade over the basic Droid 2.Thanks

16. Eco Village
    December 06, 06:07 Reply

Can the Droid Pro be a suitable replacement for the Palm Treo?

17. Andy Stubbs
    January 27, 00:48 Reply

If D2 Global has the same software as D2 and DroidX, then this phone certainly isn’t Enterprise Ready….