Samsung Epic 4G Rooted!

Those Android devs never stop, do they? Hot off the heels of last week, when the Backflip and Droid 2 were both rooted, the Samsung Epic 4G, Sprint’s version of the Galaxy S phone, has also been rooted. Just days before it’s launch, the Epic 4G was rooted using a process that apparently works on the HTC Evo 4G as well. Hooray!

The developers claim the process is simple, but we’ll leave such judgments to you. You can see it for yourself on the SDX page. Anyone planning to root their Epic 4G on the day it releases?

Let us know!

Source: AndroidSpin

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Choose Your Own Android Giveaway (Updated): Win a free, top of the line, phone of your choice [Deal of the Day]

UPDATE: The Nexus 6 has been added to the choices of handsets available to the winner! Ready for a new handset but aren’t prepared to shell out the clams for

Consumers Getting Nearly $900 in Free Apps Per Year Via Amazon Free App of the Day

We’re always hearing (mostly by competitors) about how “fragmentation” is hurting Android, but in reality, it’s this “fragmentation” that is providing vast choices to the Android consumer. One of those “choices” happens to be Amazon’s App Store. In the beginning, many Android users were wondering where the Amazon App Store would fit in and whether or not another “App Store” was necessary. Then Amazon announced its promotional “Free App of the Day” and Android users began taking notice. Before you knew it, everyone and their mother was downloading the Amazon App Store just so they could get the “Free App of the Day.” It’s now almost the only reason why anyone even uses the Amazon App Store and it’s this very mentality which prompted Android Tapp and its parent company AsSeenOnPhone Inc. to begin analyzing the Amazon App Store and its “Free App of the Day” program.

Android RC toy for under $25? Yes please!

Now available at Toys R’ Us, Brookstone, and Radio Shack: DeskPets has released a toy which you can control remotely with your Android device, or let the autonomous mode take

1. Tetsuo
    August 28, 23:03 Reply

I will definitely root on day one. I need that Hotspot and refuse to pay another $30 a month for something the android can do for free.

2. DC
    August 31, 10:58 Reply

Of course! Very first thing I will do as soon as I get back to my desktop sytem.

3. Techman
    September 07, 02:20 Reply

SCAM ONLY 340MB OF RAM Epic 4g does not have 512mb of ram.Samsung is running a scam and people need to start posting all over the web about it.
    The phone only comes with 340mb of available ram.I know because I own 2(mine and my fiances).They decided to use the other 172mb for a ram disk it seems.Devs are trying to figure out why.I didnt realize this until I got home and used an app that shows available ram.
    There is a few apps you can use to test this.I first noticed it
    when using Memory Booster Lite.Please post this information where ever you can they should not be able to get away with this.
    Thankyou

• Dennis
      February 11, 23:50 Reply

Is this still the case? Have you confirmed this? Was it a firmware issue?

• Dave
      March 18, 17:29 Reply

You’re an idiot, no device can use all of its RAM. It still comes with a 512 chip, just not all of it is available to the user. It is in no way a scam. You should learn a thing or two about how software works before you try to destroy a company’s reputation on the internet. And just because custom rom devs don’t know why its there, doesn’t mean it isn’t there for a reason. Samsung is a global electronics manufacturer that makes computers, smart tv’s, phones, and everything else you can think of. They kinda know what they are doing. If anyone is to blame for wasted potential or bad software, its sprint and their annoying addons. They are the reason samsung devices on sprint don’t get timely updates like everyone else.

4. RM
    September 09, 13:23 Reply

Since this is now rooted, has anyone been able to get the Wi-Fi hotspot functions working without having to pay the ridiculous Sprint fees?

5. Lviv73
    September 17, 15:46 Reply

340 ram is not good,but im sure devs can use all of it with moded kernel,i wonder if ramdisk makes it faster or slower.

6. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 10:01 Reply

Samsung epic 4g rooted only comes with 340mb of available ram.I know because I own 2(mine and my fiances).They decided to use the other 172mb for a ram disk it seems.

7. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 15, 06:41 Reply

Thanks. The larger screen is what, interesting. I find that It is needy for the guys who cant b comfortable with the smaller screen, so a larger screen is better.

8. Clocks All Around
    November 08, 02:58 Reply

4g coverage is not everywhere so if we are in one of the non-4g areas, we will be paying an extra $10 per month for nothing, BUT we are still saving $50 plus dollars a month compared to At&t or Verizon.

9. Denise Dirickson
    December 06, 01:28 Reply

I am quite interesting in this topic Well, They decided to use the other 172mb for a ram disk it seems.Devs are trying to figure out why.I didnt realize this until I got home and used an app that shows available ram.Thanks

10. Eco Village
    December 06, 06:24 Reply

I received the OTA update today. Interface looks nice but the offerings are, at present, very limited.

11. Ervin Stubblefield
    January 20, 02:54 Reply

I think that’s nice This Epic 4G was rooted using a process that apparently works on the HTC Evo 4G as well. Thanks