January 31, 2015

Samsung Epic 4G Rooted!

Those Android devs never stop, do they? Hot off the heels of last week, when the Backflip and Droid 2 were both rooted, the Samsung Epic 4G, Sprint’s version of the Galaxy S phone, has also been rooted. Just days before it’s launch, the Epic 4G was rooted using a process that apparently works on the HTC Evo 4G as well. Hooray!

The developers claim the process is simple, but we’ll leave such judgments to you. You can see it for yourself on the SDX page. Anyone planning to root their Epic 4G on the day it releases?

Let us know!

Source: AndroidSpin

1. Tetsuo

I will definitely root on day one. I need that Hotspot and refuse to pay another $30 a month for something the android can do for free.

2. Techman

SCAM ONLY 340MB OF RAM Epic 4g does not have 512mb of ram.Samsung is running a scam and people need to start posting all over the web about it.
    The phone only comes with 340mb of available ram.I know because I own 2(mine and my fiances).They decided to use the other 172mb for a ram disk it seems.Devs are trying to figure out why.I didnt realize this until I got home and used an app that shows available ram.
    There is a few apps you can use to test this.I first noticed it
    when using Memory Booster Lite.Please post this information where ever you can they should not be able to get away with this.
    Thankyou

• Dave

You’re an idiot, no device can use all of its RAM. It still comes with a 512 chip, just not all of it is available to the user. It is in no way a scam. You should learn a thing or two about how software works before you try to destroy a company’s reputation on the internet. And just because custom rom devs don’t know why its there, doesn’t mean it isn’t there for a reason. Samsung is a global electronics manufacturer that makes computers, smart tv’s, phones, and everything else you can think of. They kinda know what they are doing. If anyone is to blame for wasted potential or bad software, its sprint and their annoying addons. They are the reason samsung devices on sprint don’t get timely updates like everyone else.

3. RM

Since this is now rooted, has anyone been able to get the Wi-Fi hotspot functions working without having to pay the ridiculous Sprint fees?

4. Lviv73

340 ram is not good,but im sure devs can use all of it with moded kernel,i wonder if ramdisk makes it faster or slower.

5. Mykalai Kontilai

Thanks. The larger screen is what, interesting. I find that It is needy for the guys who cant b comfortable with the smaller screen, so a larger screen is better.

6. Clocks All Around

4g coverage is not everywhere so if we are in one of the non-4g areas, we will be paying an extra $10 per month for nothing, BUT we are still saving $50 plus dollars a month compared to At&t or Verizon.

7. Denise Dirickson

I am quite interesting in this topic Well, They decided to use the other 172mb for a ram disk it seems.Devs are trying to figure out why.I didnt realize this until I got home and used an app that shows available ram.Thanks

POST A COMMENT.