Archos adding a slew of Android tablets including the 101

With two Archos 5 tablets in my rearview mirror, I am definitely looking forward to the new 101.  The nomenclature is shorthand for the 10.1″ screen with 1024×600 resolution.

The specs can be found here but the most notable are:

– Android 2.2
– ARM Cortex A8 1GHz processor accompanied by a 3D OpenGL ES 2.0 for graphics

This unit would/could be just another tablet that can be bought unlocked from a carrier and without a data plan but with WiFi springing up all over the place, who cares?  We don’t need no steenkin’ 3G!

Sony intros flagship Xperia Z1 at IFA

After spending much of the year tossing about in the rumor mill, Sony’s latest flagship smartphone has become a reality. Sony today announced the Xperia Z1, a gorgeous 5-inch Android

Far EasTone to Drop a Pair of Android Handsets in ’09

Google’s decision to set up camp in Taiwan is looking better all the time.  Wanting to work closer with members of the Open Handset Alliance and further Android, it appears

Samsung “Experience” stores coming to the UK

We all know you’ve been itching to walk into a store dedicated to Samsung products, and Samsung heard you because the company have begun taking up retail space throughout the

1. Robert Aitchison
    August 31, 17:56 Reply

I like it overall, built in mini-HDMI is a must in a device like this (I’m looking at you Samsung)

Some questions:
    Does it support 802.11n?
    Does it offer 3G data as an option? If so which bands/carriers?
    Does it have GPS?
    Does it have the Android Market?

• Ken Pennett
      August 31, 19:32 Reply

I looked through all the specs carefully here they are.

Communication protocols
      • WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
      • Bluetooth 2.1 EDR

3G NO
      ONLY Through tethering to your 3G phone.
      Tethering (Using your portable phone as a modem)
      Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & Bluetooth™ technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via Bluetooth™ or even via USB cable.

Absolutely NOTHING mentioned about GPS So, I’d have to say NOT.
      Froyo 2.2 SHOULD have the market although, not mentioned either??
      PnP media streaming though & HDMI out to use your tablet as a gaming controller is sweet!

2. schwiz
    August 31, 17:57 Reply

screw archos and their optional plugins

• Ken Pennett
      August 31, 19:34 Reply

LOL, I agree…
      Optional plugins, Suck!
      Only able to get what you bought the tablet for If you purchase optional plugins??

• Sam
        August 31, 19:47 Reply

I had two Archos 5 IT’s and the plugins were optional but free….no biggie.

3. A.B. Dada
    August 31, 20:10 Reply

I have the Archos 5IT, Google market is not included but an easy hack to install.