HTC Debuts “G2 with Sense UI” Desire Z

The Desire Z  officially broke cover this morning, joining the Desire HD as part of HTC’s next big phone plans.  If you’ve been following Android for the last couple of months, you’ll recognize the form factor as that of the upcoming G2 from T-Mobile.  Physical resemblance aside, what’s going on inside the Desire Z?  Is it the same stuff?  Yeah, pretty much.  There’s an 800MHz processor, 1.5GB internal memory, 512MB RAM, and 5.0-megapixel camera.  Powered by Android 2.2, the phone runs the latest version of HTC’s Sense UI.  Look for the Desire Z to begin rolling out next month (October) in major European and Asian markets.  We’ll be back with an official press release once it is made available.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6577 posts

U.S. Cellular offering $150 Samsung Galaxy Mega starting September 17

Just a quick heads up that U.S. Cellular will be offering the Samsung Galaxy Mega online starting on Tuesday, September 17. Priced at a very reasonable $149.99 (with instant rebate),

Rumor: Droid is a Series; Droid Eris Coming 11/6

The phones just keep on coming. A “trusted source” tells Engadget that “Droid” is what Verizon will call its entire line of Android phones, and that the second phone in

Sprint HTC Hero Review: HTC Sense is the Icing On Top of the Android Cake

My Background Being that this is my first piece for AndroidGuy.com, I want to give you, the readers, some insight into my background so that you may interpret this review

1. S.
    September 15, 10:51 Reply

I’m probably the only one who wishes the US version of the G2 had Sense. I like the way the emails, messages, etc are organized by person.

• futurejohn
      September 15, 11:36 Reply

They should definitely release them side by side. It would be interesting to see what people would choose.

My only problem with custom UIs is that they often lack the built in tethering feature of 2.2. If they decide to leave that alone, then count me in.

• S.
        September 15, 12:49 Reply

Ah, see, I haven’t ever used that function, so it wouldn’t matter to me. It would be great to have them side by side, I completely agree.

• Robert Aitchison
        September 15, 19:23 Reply

Are there even any bastardized phones on 2.2 yet? I thought that they all were on 2.1 or lower and only stock Android phones had been upgraded to 2.2.

• Bob
          September 15, 22:27 Reply

no the desire has 2.2 and sense

• TB
      November 17, 11:05 Reply

yup me too, htc sense is better than google only version

2. Simon
    September 15, 17:56 Reply

I would choose stock android (vanilla) anytime on htc sense :)

3. Robert Aitchison
    September 15, 19:21 Reply

It’s like a G2 only not as good ;-)

Seriously though, most people (at least the technical people who frequent sites like this) are like me hate Sense or any other custom Android UI that’s sole purpose seems to be getting between you and the best parts of Android.

It wouldn’t be nearly as bad if you could disable the custom UI and revert to stock android if you wanted. Of course you’d still have to wait at best months longer and at worst never for updates to Android because every version of Android the company has to start from scratch.

In a perfect world every Android phone would ship with stock Android and you could (if you wanted) install the custom UI on top of it.