HTC Debuts “G2 with Sense UI” Desire Z

The Desire Z  officially broke cover this morning, joining the Desire HD as part of HTC’s next big phone plans.  If you’ve been following Android for the last couple of months, you’ll recognize the form factor as that of the upcoming G2 from T-Mobile.  Physical resemblance aside, what’s going on inside the Desire Z?  Is it the same stuff?  Yeah, pretty much.  There’s an 800MHz processor, 1.5GB internal memory, 512MB RAM, and 5.0-megapixel camera.  Powered by Android 2.2, the phone runs the latest version of HTC’s Sense UI.  Look for the Desire Z to begin rolling out next month (October) in major European and Asian markets.  We’ll be back with an official press release once it is made available.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6601 posts

HTC Incredible HD Grabs the Spotlight Again in New Close-Up Images

Ahh, the Incredible HD. We first learned about this device back in August, with nothing more than a picture and some specs to go on. It was later discovered that

View photos with ease: QuickPic [App of the Day]

I’m always about changing up the defaul apps in ym phone if I’m unhappy with some of them. Photo galleries are usually nice, but there’s always something better on the

First round of speakers announced for Big Android BBQ 2012

Hey!  You’re going to the Big Android BBQ, right?  Of course you are!  This year promises to be every bit as fun as the last two years, if not even

1. S.
    September 15, 10:51 Reply

I’m probably the only one who wishes the US version of the G2 had Sense. I like the way the emails, messages, etc are organized by person.

• futurejohn
      September 15, 11:36 Reply

They should definitely release them side by side. It would be interesting to see what people would choose.

My only problem with custom UIs is that they often lack the built in tethering feature of 2.2. If they decide to leave that alone, then count me in.

• S.
        September 15, 12:49 Reply

Ah, see, I haven’t ever used that function, so it wouldn’t matter to me. It would be great to have them side by side, I completely agree.

• Robert Aitchison
        September 15, 19:23 Reply

Are there even any bastardized phones on 2.2 yet? I thought that they all were on 2.1 or lower and only stock Android phones had been upgraded to 2.2.

• Bob
          September 15, 22:27 Reply

no the desire has 2.2 and sense

• TB
      November 17, 11:05 Reply

yup me too, htc sense is better than google only version

2. Simon
    September 15, 17:56 Reply

I would choose stock android (vanilla) anytime on htc sense :)

3. Robert Aitchison
    September 15, 19:21 Reply

It’s like a G2 only not as good 😉

Seriously though, most people (at least the technical people who frequent sites like this) are like me hate Sense or any other custom Android UI that’s sole purpose seems to be getting between you and the best parts of Android.

It wouldn’t be nearly as bad if you could disable the custom UI and revert to stock android if you wanted. Of course you’d still have to wait at best months longer and at worst never for updates to Android because every version of Android the company has to start from scratch.

In a perfect world every Android phone would ship with stock Android and you could (if you wanted) install the custom UI on top of it.