The Difference Between AMOLED and SLCD Screens

Remember a few months ago, when HTC decided to  stop using AMOLED screens because of shortages? And how they decided to switch to SLCD screens instead? Well, the guys over at Engadget have looked at the differences in SLCD and AMOLED screens on two HTC Desires. One Desire had an AMOLED, the other had a SLCD display. See below.

At first glance, there aren’t really any noticeable differences. But upon closer inspection, they found that the AMOLED still beats out the SLCD in terms of vibrancy and brilliance. However, the SLCD appears to have warmer tones, giving it better color definition than the AMOLED display. This is surprising, considering that AMOLED screens are almost the best money can buy, next to the Super AMOLED displays found on the Galaxy S phones. It looks like HTC made the right decision when it went with SLCD displays. Pretty damn close!

This observation begs the question: how many people will notice? Obviously, those of us in the Android community will always know, but will anyone in the consumer market really notice the difference between AMOLED and SLCD screens? Can you tell the difference? Does it bother you?

Source Engadget

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

HTC First announced for April 12 with $99 price tag

HTC today announced that the first Facebook Home device, the aptly named HTC First, will be available starting from April 12. The HTC First (formerly Myst) features a  a 4.3-inch 720p

Mystique – Android’s Most Horrifying Puzzle

Mystique is a 3D RPG puzzle game that is available in 3 versions on the Android Market. I have seen this game in the Featured Apps section hundreds of times

Carrier IQ issues 19 page document detailing usage

Carrier IQ released a new 19-page PDF document on their website this week which details all the stuff that they do as well as the stuff that they don’t do.

1. mazimi
    September 16, 08:52 Reply

the consumer will notice a shorter battery life.

2. macs
    September 16, 10:11 Reply

So which one is more power efficient. As far as I am aware the AMOLED actually drains more power unless the background is black.

3. csmr
    September 16, 10:34 Reply

How can I know if my desire was shipped with an AMOLED or SLCD screen?

4. iy
    September 16, 10:46 Reply

Samsung really screwed manufactures on Samoled…..good thing I got Galaxy S :)

5. dave
    September 16, 11:43 Reply

I find AMOLED quite hard to see in sunlight. How is SLCD in sunlight?

• rnork
      September 16, 18:45 Reply

I have a Desire with S-lcd.

I can’t tell you if the AMOLED is better or not in direct sunlight but I can tell you that using the S-LCD in sunlight can be a little challenging at times.

The power problem presented by the S-LCD is serious enough that it does not deserve oversight in this article.

I’ve recently watched a few youtube comparisons of these two Screen types for the Desire and S-LCD can appear washed out. After watching these videos it became fairly clear to me that I would have prefered the AMOLED.

It’s hard to speak critically of the phone though. Over-all a grand device.

Bring a spare battery or two if you plan on any substantial screen viewing.

6. BJ
    September 21, 22:01 Reply

i prefer the amoled but you gotta use dark/black colors all the time and you’ll get a really long battery life. at http://bGoog.com you can even google with a black background!!

7. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 09:37 Reply

In my perception,AMOLED still beats out the SLCD in terms of vibrancy and brilliance. However, the SLCD appears to have warmer tones, color definition than the AMOLED display. Its really surprising.

8. business financing loan
    October 15, 03:11 Reply

Well I think HTC have done the correct thing by switching to SLCD screens instead of AMOLED.As we have seen the above pictures SLCD screen shows more clear picture that AMOLED.

9. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 15, 05:25 Reply

Gr8 news that incredible is back but SLCD may bring the Incredible craze down
    The early owners are already enjoying the AMOLED display
    lot of competition for HTC

10. Buy Me Private
    November 07, 12:18 Reply

I’m in a real dilemma now. The latest official stock of HTC Desires for the Malaysian market has been confirmed to be of the S-LCD variety. I had waited for the stock to arrived, but it was the AMOLED version that I wanted.

11. Andy
    November 23, 10:11 Reply

I’ve had both – LCD display picks up finger residue far quicker – constantly cleaning. I prefer AMOLED.

• Nathan Amons
      March 02, 01:55 Reply

The glass over the screen is what picks up finger prints…do some research…you wouldn’t be able touse touch gestures on it if it were a bare LCD or AMOLED screen

12. Joe
    November 23, 12:39 Reply

I just got a replacement Incredible.. and to be honest I cant really tell much a difference lol its still new so I’ll have to see what happens over time but yea, I cant really tell :p

13. Up Start Interactive
    November 30, 02:22 Reply

I think Samsung´s screen is better than LCD…

It´s a pitty that they (Samsung) use to screw up the phone´s software.

Even if they had a 3D Glassesless 142 inches Hologram screen, Samsung still being a NO NO!

14. Eco Village
    December 06, 06:08 Reply

I love LED whatever it is, it makes me sees better under sunlight and best for viewing entertaining XD

15. Audrey Stubbs
    January 27, 01:39 Reply

Really cool comparison between the 2 screens! I love the AMOLED personally and think its the best choice for Mobile phones!

16. tictactaylor
    February 05, 15:31 Reply

I purchased a new desire today, first thought what a great screen. Reason, I had returned a desire several months ago that had a screen tinted red to the left blue to the right, HATED IT! Got a Galaxy S instead. I realise I have an SLCD display, they seem brighter to me. Not as bright as Galaxy, but only just. Movies look better on SLCD, the Galaxy S is too dark, even at brighest, as black on SAMOLED gives no brilliance it looks odd. I think the SLCD is better in phones to be honest, the amoled looks outdated in fact, odd but I feel true.

17. Camry parts
    February 17, 05:39 Reply

This Android community will always know, but will anyone in the consumer market really notice the difference between AMOLED and SLCD screens? Thanks

18. hihi
    February 28, 05:35 Reply

Loving my slcd on the Droid incredible

19. Google Black
    July 04, 12:50 Reply

Amoled is great. Black colors on this screens are really vibrant and crisp.
    I always set the background to a dark color and then use a Google black search such as Blackl http://www.blackl.com/black-google.html
    Battery lasts me more on an Amoled with proper dark color configuration. It’s not huge but it helps.