Tim Riker’s Saygus Vphone Shown Off at the Big Android BBQ
Ever think how nice it would be if the engineers and handset manufacturers actually listened to the feedback of the Android community? Ever wonder what a truly “open” phone would look like? Well, look no further than Tim Riker (Saygus) because he wants to put the Saygus Vphone in your hand. And if he gets his way, it will be sooner rather than later. I had a chance to sit down with Tim at the Big Android BBQ and talk with him about the Vphone. Read all about it after the break.
Tim saw a need for an open device running Android, and he’s trying to fill that need. Software features out of the box include:
- Open bootloader and root permissions
- The ability to run entire ROM distros from the sdcard (think Linux live CD, i.e. no changes to your device)
- Hopefully Android 2.2 when released
- Saygus’s proprietary video chat app (which sounds nothing like traditional bloatware)
General hardware specs include:
- Marvell PXA 310, 806 MHz processor-1500 mA battery
- Flash: 512 MB, SDRAM: 256 MB, Mass Storage up to 16GB SDHC
- 3.5-inch capacitive touch-sensitive screen
- 800 x 480 (WVGA) resolution
- Front facing VGA camera
- 5 megapixel rear camera with flash and autofocus
- 4 row hardware keyboard
- WiFi, bluetooth, gps, fm radio
- USB host control out of the box via a mini USB
- -usb modem capable
Obviously, this device is not about the high screen resolution, the crazy processing speed, or the highly detailed camera. Instead, its about the possibility of giving the Android community a powerhouse modding device. Take a look at some of my blurry cam pictures and make sure to follow @timriker on Twitter for up to the minute details.
You might also like
Confirming recent rumors, Motorola and T-Mobile have officially announced the CLIQ 2, a 1 GHz landscape slider with a 3.7″ screen and a funky, reptilian keyboard. Like its predecessor, it seems intended for the middle of the market, but unlike the original CLIQ, includes a lot of enterprise friendly features. It is not an HSPA+ phone.
That didn’t take very long! We just got done covering the rumors of a Samsung Captivate Glyde when AT&T has to go and get all official on us. As you’ve
Foodler, the online food ordering service that connects consumers with the widest variety of restaurants for immediate delivery, today announced its free Android mobile app is now available on Google