T-Mobile Vibrant Sees Update, GPS Gets Fixed

We’re getting word from a few of our readers that their new T-Mobile Vibrant handset has received an update.  It’s a mix of good news, bad news though, depending on what you were hoping for.  First, is isn’t the Android 2.2 you might be holding your breath over.  However, this update does address the GPS situation that plagued more than a few of you.  Now your location can be found more often, quicker, and more precise.  Time to get started checking in with Gowalla and using your favorite GPS driving app.  According to our sources, the update should register as Baseband version: T959UVJI6 with Build number: ECLAIR.UVJI6 when it is finished.  Have fun kids!

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Motorola Droid Razr M gets Jelly Bean update

DROID RAZR M by Motorola is the second Verizon Wireless smartphone to be upgraded to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The software upgrade will be pushed to customers in phases starting Nov.

Official Blog Talks Up Widget Design

Talk all you want about soft keyboard and video recording, but the biggest change in Android will be the implementation of widgets. Starting with calendars, picture frames, and playlists, Google

Fizzly smart tracker seeks Kickstarter funding

At first glance, you may wonder why in the world anyone would want to use the Fizzly smart tracker. But, as you watch the video (below), your mind starts to

1. Richard
    October 07, 21:25 Reply

My Virbant’s GPS Is fixed. When I got it out of the box it wouldn’t lock on for the GPS, BUT I factory reseted it and afterwards it worked! :)

2. opiate46
    October 09, 21:44 Reply

Be careful taking this update. It bricked my phone. Currently trying to see if I can find a way to fix it now, but if you’re a rooter or alternate ROM user be advised that this is a real problem and tmo is aware of it.

• Slipped it in
      October 10, 05:06 Reply

And you need to be aware that T-Mobile has no intention of permanently fixing the problem because they don’t want you rooting your phone or using an alternate ROM. If you keep trying to update from an unsupported ROM to a newer stock ROM you will keep having the same problem over and over again and you will become T-Mobile’s biggest cash cow.

3. smthngSpacial
    October 11, 12:23 Reply

Apparently the J16 update also brought with it Samsung’s Media Hub as my Vibrant’s Media Hub is now active!

4. Zlurpo
    October 16, 16:27 Reply

My GPS still doesn’t do squat. It’s useless.

5. Bryan
    October 19, 21:39 Reply

I just received this update on 10/19/10 and it fixed the GPS issues as well as added some new applications that I didn’t have before. This updated added Task Manager, Media Hub, HD Camcorder, Places and Navigation for GPS, and Latitude.

6. RaymondP
    October 20, 00:58 Reply

I updated mine through Kies mini which was surprisingly easy. I like the new features but initially had problems with my GPS but after a reboot and some testing, it works fine. The compass is off, though, but no big deal. The overall workings of the phone are near what it was before I installed so many apps. The ‘Buddies Now’ app is still buggy though.