In case you haven’t picked up on it yet, it’s Galaxy Tab week. Yet another carrier has come out to formally announce they will be offering the 7-inch, Android 2.2 tablet. The latest to add their name to the growing list of providers is U.S. Cellular. Samsung Mobile issued a press release this morning stating that the nation’s sixth largest wireless operator will be offering the tablet although exact pricing and availability has not been finalized. Look for U.S. Cellular to carry the Galaxy Tab for the same $400 price point as the other players. I’d even go so far as to expect it in the middle of November, around the same time as the bigger carriers.
Samsung Mobile Announces Samsung Galaxy Tab™ with U.S. Cellular®
Mobile tablet will feature 7-inch touchscreen, Android 2.2™ platform, Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 and front and rear-facing cameras for video chat support
DALLAS – October 28, 2010 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile)1, the No.1 mobile phone provider in the U.S. today announced the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ with U.S. Cellular®. TheSamsung Galaxy Tab is designed for people who want a premium mobile entertainment experience on the go, but don’t want to be weighed down by a bulky device. Weighing only 13 ounces and 12 millimeters thin, the Galaxy Tab fits conveniently in a pocket or purse.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab features a brilliant 7-inch enhanced TFT display screen, 1GHz Hummingbird Application processor supporting 3D graphics and smooth Web browsing and 1.3 megapixel front and 3 megapixel rear-facing cameras and is powered by Android 2.2™, including full support for Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1.
Just like Samsung’s Galaxy S™ smart phones, the Galaxy Tab includes Samsung’s Social Hub application, which syncs a users Messaging and Contacts to initiate the sending and receiving of information, whether it is e-mail, instant messaging, social network updates or SMS messages. Additionally, calendar information from portal calendars, such as Google Calendar, and social networking services are displayed together in one calendar with two-way synchronization.
Services like Google Maps™ Navigation (Beta) and Google Goggles are available on Google’s Android platform. With useful location-based services like Google Maps™, consumers can search in Standard English instead of entering an exact address. A search-by-voice function is just as intuitive, meaning searches can also be completed easily on the go.
- 7-inch enhanced TFT display with WSVGA resolution – Offers brighter colors and clearer pictures and delivers 1024 x 600 resolution whether watching a movie or reading a book
- Rear-facing, 3MP camera and camcorder – AutoFocus captures DVD quality video
- Front-facing, 1.3-megapixel camera and camcorder – Enables video chat with other people who have video conferencing capabilities (applications available in Android Market™).
- Corporate Email – Supports Android 2.2 Exchange ActiveSync e-mail to synchronize corporate e-mail, contacts and calendars from office e-mail accounts
- Wi-Fi® connectivity (802.11 b/g/n) and Wireless Hotspot support
- Built-in 2 GB internal memory with 16 GB pre-installed microSD™ expandable to 32 GB
- 4,000 mAh Battery – Provides ample power to watch movies, share content and surf the Web
- Ultra thin at 12 millimeters and weighing 13 ounces – For users who don’t want to be weighed down by adding a mobile tablet to their pocket or purse
- Customizable touch screen menu with drag-and-drop widgets
- Samsung Social Hub – Built around messaging, contacts and calendar sync, which allows users to send and receive daily activities, whether it is e-mail, social network updates or SMS messages
For additional information about the Samsung Galaxy Tab, visit www.samsungmobileusa.com.