Western Digital introduced a new Android app- WD Photos. The Android application enables users to view all the photos stored on their WD home NAS servers, including the My Book Live, My Book World Edition, and WD ShareSpace, from anywhere in the world as long as the phone has an internet connection. In order for sharing to work, apart from just having the app, you will also need to activate the NAS server’s MioNet remote access feature, which is a quick and easy process.
The WD Photos Photo Viewer Droid app’s features include:
- Automatic photo resizing: Photos are resized to fit on the phone’s screen, leaving originals on the NAS server.
- Smart filtering: Display photos by album, folder, or all images and search by date, folder name, or file name;
- Offline access: Photos previously viewed can be accessed even when the phone is disconnected from the Internet.
- Social network integration: You can share photos via e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, Picasa, and other social Web sites
- Phone integration: You can assign photos to contacts, save them to the phone’s gallery, and view them as a sideshow
Western Digital says that the Android app is compatible with the most popular Android OS-based smartphones, including, but not limited to, the Droid by Motorola, Droid Incredible by HTC, the Nexus One, and the HTC EVO 4G. The app requires the device to run Android 2.1 or later.
It is now available at the Android Market as a free download. Or get it from App Brain here