What’s Happening With Skype Video Calling for Android?

Back in May, Skype made their ambitions very clear. But, with competition from the likes of Fring and Qik, Skype seems to be playing a fair amount of catch-up in the mobile video chat department. On this note, Skype decided to issue a statement saying that before year’s end, they would bring video chat to the mobile market.

Here we are, around 6 months later, and all the Android community has is a sub-par version of Skype that leaves a lot of room for improvement. With less than 2 months to go before the end of the year, I’d like to revisit the promise Skype made back in May.

Skype envisions a world where video plays a larger role in the way we communicate.  It’s on computers, televisions, and it will eventually be coming to mobile devices too. We’re betting big on video, and we intend to set the bar on mobile video calling, and it’s something we’re going to do this year.   We will be bringing a direct to consumer app to the Android marketplace later this year. This application will be available for all consumers globally to download regardless of carriers.

– Brianna Reynaud, Skype PR

There ya go. Skype said they intend to “set the bar on mobile video calling,” whatever that means. Just as a friendly reminder, the big 2-10 is coming to an end and Skype hasn’t issued any updates regarding their progress on mobile video calling. So here I am–calling out the makers of the world’s favorite-est desktop video chat app. How’s video chat for Android coming along? We can’t wait to try it out. Would you consider letting a beta loose in the spirit of Thanksgiving? My EVO would make a fantastic test subject.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

HTC bringing LogMeIn Rescue remote service to future phones

We’ve noticed that HTC is trying their best to bring an amazing experience to their customers as of late. The HTC One X was the king of the show at

Samsung reported to announce 5-inch Galaxy S IV at Mobile World Congress 2013

And here we are with our first rumors for the Samsung Galaxy S IV.  According to Korea Times (translate), Samsung plans to announce its next-generation Android smartphone at Mobile World

Google Glass goes on sale in U.K.

Customers living in the U.K. who are interested in purchasing a pair of Google Glass can now do so. For the first time, Google’s smart wearable is available outside of the

1. Thorpeland
    November 23, 17:06 Reply

I am VERY disappointed in Skype as a company. The mobile video communication market is exploding, yet they sit on their hands and wait. Between Google voice, Qik, yahoo messenger and Tango… i really no longer have a need for Skype. So if they want to win me back, they’d better come out with something truly ground breaking at this point. Get your act together Skype, you’re on the verge of irrelevance.

2. PhineasJW
    November 23, 19:10 Reply

Great article. Skype is on the precipice of becoming completely irrelevant, mostly due to their fat deal with Verizon, which has them artificially locking down functionality.

If Google drops VOIP into GVoice (as is rumored for Gingerbread), then it’s lights-out for Skype.

Hope they learned their lesson.

• Galen20K
      November 23, 22:59 Reply

I would actually really love for that to happen. Something most of us already have on our Android phones that I bet will be updated constantly and I think this functionality will happen in it very soon.

3. Observer
    November 24, 05:56 Reply

although they still have the best VOIP quality client, their PC software & interface has been disappointing from day 1.

BTW, once you’re logged into Gmail website, anyone can make free calls to ANY phone # in USA (and probably Canada). great help, especially elsewhere where you can’t install 3rd party software.

I can’t wait for G and Gingerbread to make Skype irrelevant. If I were them I’d be selling the company a year ago.

4. Timothy
    November 24, 10:49 Reply

When I read that Cisco was thinking of buying Skype, I immediately cancelled my skype account including phone # and skype outs. I have un-installed Skype on every computer and mobile device. Besides, their service had really been lacking on Droid, and there are much better alternatives now.

If you can’t tell, I hate Cisco. The might make decent hardware, but their software and support is the worst I’ve ever had to deal with. I will never use another Cisco product in this lifetime.

• lulz
      December 29, 17:21 Reply

wow timothy, talk about an over reaction.

5. Julius
    November 25, 01:05 Reply

When I saw how poor the version that came out with log in issues and not being able to put on SD Card I uninstalled. If an app is sizable and can’t be put on SD Card it’s hard to justify keeping it. That may change in the future with larger internal storage…

6. Acaye2
    July 19, 13:37 Reply

I’m trying to get my friends and family to switch to oovoo or another. Skype just doesn’t seem interested. My HTC Mytouch 4G has the forward and rear cams. And workd with Quik, OOVOO and others. So why is it so hard for The king of the hill (Skype) to pull it off.