You Tell Us: What is AT&T’s Best Android Handset For the Money?

As we head into the new year and a slew of new Android goodies, we’d like to start reflecting on the current crop of phones.  We’ll be taking the next few days and weeks to gauge our readers’ opinions on handsets and carriers as they pertain to Android.  To kick things off, we’d like to know which Android-based smart phones are the best value for AT&T.

Is it the new Android 2.1-powered Motorola Bravo or perhaps the Galaxy S series Captivate?  Maybe you have a soft spot for the Backflip.  Okay, maybe not.

Hit the poll below with your vote and then head into the comments section.  Why did you pick that particular device?

Need a little help figuring out which phone is which?  We’ve listed a handful of specs and prices to aid you in your decision.

• Motorola Bravo – Android 2.1, 3.7-inch screen, 3 megapixel camera, TI OMAP3610 800MHz processor, 2GB internal memory ($139.99)
  • Motorola Flipside – Android 2.1, 3.1-inch touch screen, sliding QWERTY, 3 megapixel camera, TI OMAP3410 720 MHz processor, 512MB RAM ($99.99)
  • Motorola Flipout – Android 2.1, 2.8-inch screen, 3 megapixel camera, TI OMAP3410 720 MHz processor, 512MB RAM ($79.99)
  • Motorola Backflip – Android 2.1, 3.1-inch screen, 5 megapixel camera, Qualcomm MSM7200A 528MHz processor, 256MB RAM, ($49.99)
  • Samsung Captivate – Android 2.1, 4-inch screen, 5 megapixel camera, 1GHz Hummingbird processor, 16GB internal memory, ($199.99)
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (AT&T) – Android 1.6, 4-inch screen, 8.1 megapixel camera, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 400MB internal memory ($99.99)

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

Galaxy Nexus to be first Jelly Bean smartphone

Expect an announcement that “4.1 is due in the coming weeks” at Google I/O.

Swype Acquired by Nuance for Roughly $100 Million

Rumors surfaced late yesterday evening that Nuance had acquired Swype for an amount said to be in the ballpark of $100 million. First uncovered by Uncrunched and then later confirmed

T-Mobile Nexus rumors: No WiFi calling for Nexus 6?

If you’re a customer of the un-carrier and are yearning for a new Nexus device, we have some information you need to hear.  A highly placed T-Mobile employee gave us

1. Usman
    December 02, 16:38 Reply

Kind of a no-brainer, isn’t it?

2. Danny
    December 02, 16:51 Reply

The Captivate is definitely the best Android phone on AT&T, but it’s really a toss-up between the Captivate and the Aria as far as which is best for the money. It really depends on personal preferences and how you’re planning on using it.

3. shelby
    December 02, 17:01 Reply

Samsung captivates me! Its cool! Each carrier offers different calling plans, network coverage and phone selection.

4. Kyle
    December 02, 17:02 Reply

Assuming you use Launcher Pro (or ANY home replacement) the Captivate wins. Otherwise, Aria.

Touchwiz sucks.

• shelby
      December 02, 17:13 Reply

Took out my Captivate and found that the music player was AMAZING. I also had a video of some of my granny’s brand new medical equipment for her personal use at home.

5. mike
    December 02, 17:09 Reply

The captivate is the only phone for at&t period.

6. Mark T
    December 02, 17:28 Reply

I vote for the Nexus One, it does not have the bloatware of the ATT handsets and it is up to date in Android releases.

My son has the Aria, loves it, but is frustrated that they still have not updated to Froyo, yet.

7. Steve B
    December 02, 17:49 Reply

Definitely the Captivate, but then I got mine for $25 from wirefly. Honestly don’t think I would pay $199 for it.

8. InspectorGadget80
    December 02, 22:29 Reply

I used to have the X10 until I found out they freaking delay the 2.1 and it’s not getting 2.2. so I returned it. Not getting the Captivate too many software issues so I’m waiting till next year. But in the end the Captivate is better phone. but not for the price

9. Scmo
    December 03, 05:57 Reply

If you are crazy enough to be on att and use android then yeah the best way to roll is by going with the nexus one is the best choice. You can download apps outside the marketplace, its had froyo since june, really best phone to have on att. Captivate comes at a distant second, honestly att has done a poor job of making quality android phones compared to the other carriers. Imo save yourself some money, 1500 talk unlimited text and web 79.99 at tmobile. (web has 5gb throttled web no paying overages tho)

10. Daniel Cook
    December 03, 06:53 Reply

I just ordered an Aria for my phone upgrade, it is hard to beat for a penny. I am looking online now and it has gone back up to $129.99, I guess it was a short (or maybe accidental) sale.

11. Keefers
    December 03, 07:54 Reply

How about none of the above for a choice. If they carried the droid x that would be my choice.

12. Clayton
    December 03, 07:56 Reply

You didn’t put backflip on your quiz options. I can’t comment on the others b/c I haven’t used them, however I’m happy with m backflip.

• Danny
      December 03, 11:00 Reply

Maybe that’s because the Backflip has been in the running for “worst Android handset” along with the Garminfone and the Behold II. If you’re happy with it though, that’s all that really matters.

13. Jay Dub
    December 03, 12:06 Reply

I’ll vote for the Captivate in terms of AT&T branded phones….however, a Nexus One or even a Milestone is a better move if you’re willing to forgo a subsidy.

14. Sean
    December 03, 13:53 Reply

Just get the HTC Desire Z off of Bell in Canada. Easy to unlock and is a great phone running 2.2 with a full keyboard

15. Jim
    December 03, 14:50 Reply

Errr….where’s the Dell Streak? Sure, it’s a bit pricey, but it has the largest screen, a GPS that actually WORKS, and you have the ability to buy an unlocked version that permits free tethering. Oh…and it’s the only AT&T Android phone with 2.2 Froyo! Put it on the list!

– Jim

16. smithabravo
    December 17, 14:15 Reply

AT & means that if I capture a historic step that is the best brand on phones.However grants will be ready to vote for it.

bail bonds

17. JP
    December 29, 12:37 Reply

Well for a smile, and with 2.1, 8.1 mpx camera with hd recording, 4 inch SLCD screen tethering AND MORE, i definately go for the x10, i know its not the best in phone itself, but like i said, just for a smile? hell beat that ;), Just to let you know that in my country they’re actually sold out and im on a waiting list to get one =0