Introducing the Gingerbread Tracker (UPDATE 2)

The most common question we’ve fielded in the 24 hours since Android 2.3 was announced is, “When is my phone getting Gingerbread?”  With only the Nexus S launching with the latest build of Android, users of all other handsets are going to want to know if, and when, their respective phone will see 2.3 rolled out.  As rumors and announcements start to arrive over the coming weeks and months, we’ve decided to collect them in one central location for you.  Feel free to bookmark this page as we plan to update the bejeezus out of it!

Starting off we’ll go with our guts and classify most of today’s popular phones.  Over time, we’ll reorganize them into various categories and include timelines.  For now, we’ll simply go with Confirmed and Very Likely. If you don’t see your phone listed, it’s because we can’t say with conviction that we expect to see it get Android 2.3.  For many of these phones it will be because they do not have Android 2.2 “Froyo” yet.

Confirmed to  Get Android 2.3 ‘Gingerbread’

Very Likely to Get Android 2.3 ‘Gingerbread’

• T-Mobile myTouch 4G
  • T-Mobile G2
  • Motorola Droid
  • Motorola Droid X
  • Motorola Droid 2 (All Versions)
  • HTC Droid Incredible
  • HTC EVO 4G
  • Samsung Galaxy S series
    • AT&T Captivate
    • T-Mobile Vibrant
    • Sprint Epic 4G
    • Verizon Fascinate
    • Verizon Continuum
    • Galaxy Tab (All Carriers)
  • HTC Desire HD (Source)
  • HTC Desire Z (Source)
  • HTC Desire (Source)

May Not Get Android 2.3 ‘Gingerbread’

If you hear or see something that you think we might have missed, let us know!  We’ll be more than happy to add whatever it is that helps make this a valuable resource.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6570 posts

App Reviews

Sliding Messaging review: A simple take on messaging

My name is Justin, and I’m a messaging app junkie. I constantly change messaging apps, test new ones for fun, and I’m never completely satisfied. I’ve somewhat settled on Handcent

HTC planning to make a ‘unique’ tablet?

HTC entered the tablet market with the beautiful HTC Flyer; however it wasn’t a big hit, same thing happened with HTC JetStream. Now they want to make an entry again

Conceptualize This! Quad Core Motorola Atrix 3

You might think you’re looking at a Samsung Galaxy Nexus in the picture, but its actually a concept design for the upcoming Motorola Atrix 3. A welcomed concept from where

1. Obs
    December 07, 16:36 Reply

so much for my N1 – the original FLAGSHIP phone no probably be one of the last :) F&&k samsung with it’s piece of c*** plastic iJunk Nexus S imitation !!!

• Mark
      January 01, 19:40 Reply

Hey moron, I have owned the myt3g, G1, mytslide, myt4g, Vibrant, Nexus 1, icrap3gs, evo 4g, incredible, droid x, and Nexus S. The nexus s blows them all away. More smooth, better display, great ui, and many more features make it the best android phone available. Try the device before bashing it.

• Pompx
      January 22, 15:16 Reply

SOrry Obs…Nexus S rules!!!
      don’t be jealous pal…..just buy it!!

• David H O
        February 03, 19:56 Reply

I have the Nexus S and it’s great indeed.

Don’t bash just because the precious Nexus One is not the first choice in the Google Campus. All phones will, including of course the Nexus S.

Just enjoy.

2. chris
    December 07, 16:39 Reply

what makes you think the droid 1 won’t be getting 2.3, since you have left it off your list?

• Scott Webster
      December 07, 16:42 Reply

We actually revised the list right after publishing to include all phones listed with 100 percent support for Maps 5. At least as we gather it. Good eyes, by the way!

• chris
        December 07, 17:23 Reply

Us OG droid owners get a little upset when our still stellar hardware gets left out because people forget about it now that the X and 2 are out ;). updated list looks good though, i can’t think of anything that looks left out at this point.

• Chaz
            January 13, 10:41

It’s stellar when you overclock it past 1Ghz ;)

3. mike I
    December 07, 17:07 Reply

so what are the chances the HTC Aria will make the cut? is it underpowered for Gingerbread? heck my wife would just be happy with Froyo. phone is only 6 months old and already abandoned by AT&T :(

• Steve
      December 08, 09:22 Reply

You should be abandoning AT&T yourself

• John
        June 30, 07:05 Reply

But still is the Aria getting the update? i agree i hate At&t but hopefully my little Aria will get the upgrade…

4. Kevin
    December 07, 17:28 Reply

What information do you have on the Optimus phones? I haven’t seen other reports.

5. Benoit Martin
    December 07, 19:40 Reply

Should probably already create a list of Will Not:
    MyTouch 3G
    Cliq XT
    … many more

6. Paul B
    December 07, 19:53 Reply

I’m surprised to not see the HTC Desire on there, particularly since it’s almost the exact same phone as the Nexus One.

7. ablkIDA
    December 07, 20:32 Reply

Samsung S line getting 2.3 is a joke right? hahahaha effin hilarious!

• Death259
      December 08, 09:50 Reply

How is Samsung S line getting 2.3 a joke? Samsung has it on the Nexus S which is similiar hardware if not the exact same hardware as the Galaxy S phones…. all they would have to do now is port over touchwiz….

• bousozoku
      December 14, 02:56 Reply

You always have to wonder if any Samsung equipment will ever be updated since they apparently put 99 % of their money into hardware and just let it languish after that.

• Cyryl
        January 11, 22:22 Reply

“Atrophy” is the word I’d use.

8. Aaron Buckner
    December 07, 22:16 Reply

I doubt the OG Droid will see it and Samsung “Promised” 2.3 on the Galaxy Tabs… of course we know how Samsung promises go (sorry Ray Ray)

• Joe
      December 08, 09:10 Reply

I bet the original droid will have android 2.3 the soonest after the Nexus phones, since the ROM support is far superior to any other phone on the market. I’d guess 2.3 based ROMS will surface within a month of the official source release… even earlier if the source leaks. I am assuming you’re rooted, of course…. Oh, you meant an official android 2.3 release? I’m not even going to guess on a timeline for that one, haha. Root your phone!

• Phillip Shuey
        January 17, 18:43 Reply

this is the most well informed post i have read thus far “ROOT” is da word folks.I know my sprint evo will be running 2.3 well before any offical release is announced,just as my evo has been running 2.2 some 2 months before its offical release,so what are you waituing for?the offical release?lmao,good luck,i stopped playing the wait game back when my hero was supposedly getting 2.0 ha ha

9. Reeve
    December 08, 01:59 Reply

May i know if Dell Streak will be getting 2.3?

10. Fern
    December 08, 03:48 Reply

What about the Xperia X10? It has a 4inch display, 1GHz Snapdragon chip and below “recommended” RAM…

11. Yath
    December 08, 06:17 Reply

Why is the HTC Desire/Bravo not included considering it has exactly the same specification as the Nexus One?

• Death259
      December 08, 09:52 Reply

The Nexus One is an official google phone. It’s google’s own little baby. So, they will make sure that it gets 2.3. As for the HTC Desire/Bravo it will be up to the cellular provider to make sure the update happens. If the cellular provider behind the HTC Desire/Bravo doesn’t want to take the time to update to 2.3 then you my friend are up a creek.

12. Abhijeet Mishra
    December 08, 07:51 Reply

Any chance of the Galaxy 3 getting the Gingerbread update? If Samsung has their way, they’ll probably forget about the Galaxy 3 after it gets its Froyo update.

13. juan
    December 09, 16:44 Reply

Iz the sprint transform going to gt the gingerbread update

14. Jim
    December 13, 16:28 Reply

I would just be happy if my HTC Sprint Hero would get 2.2
    Has anyone heard anything on that?

• UDTSeal
      December 14, 08:32 Reply

I thought Sprint made it public long ago that their Hero would NOT “officially”see 2.2?

15. Pyles
    December 13, 19:13 Reply

Mytouch Slide won’t get it; I haven’t heard anything, but just saying it won’t get it.

16. UDTSeal
    December 14, 08:44 Reply

I hate to say it but I’m not holding my breath for the U.S. Galaxy S line to get GB.
    Samsung churn the phones out and then jump to the next line. They don’t look ahead at future software updates. That should be painfully obvious with the Behold II fiasco and now the failure to update their current top of the line phones to Froyo.

About 6 months and still no “official” date for Froyo. Is anyone really willing to wait another 6 months before they get a date for Gingerbread?

And YES I know that alot of people are saying that GB is a done deal since the Nexus S and Galaxy S hardware is so similar. The problem is that Samsung has to actually make an effort and put someone on the job of getting GB ready for the Galaxy s line and thats just not gonna happen.

• James
      December 26, 19:27 Reply

Kiss of Death for Samsung if they don’t bring the S line up to 2.3 before Spring. The community is watching how they support after their initial Android disasters.

17. Manuel
    December 21, 15:26 Reply

Will the Archos 101 be getting 2.3 Android? Thanxs

• Bob
      February 04, 12:53 Reply

You’d want the Archos to get 3.0 Honeycomb, not 2.3 which isn’t optimized for tablets.

18. JP
    December 29, 13:22 Reply

What about x10??
    I know it meets the hardware requirements, and it is the SE android flagship
    So will it be possible? i know we dont even have froyo, but the phone is capable of it am i right?? cuz at any chance if the phone is not officialy supported, there’s always rooting and custom roms right?

• Climbatize
      January 07, 16:52 Reply

Sony Ericsson announced at CES that their Eclair version has many things that froyo and GB don’t have, and that their phone don’t need more…

19. RIchard A Smith
    January 07, 10:27 Reply

I have a Motorolla Cliq with 1.6. It upgraded from 1.5 to1.6 last summer. I’ve seen no notice for upgrading to 2.???.

• Bob
      February 04, 12:57 Reply

I had one of these. I was in the test group for 2.1. It was OK, but pretty laggy on the phone. No blue tooth voice dialing.

Both my wife’s and my Cliq’s would reboot themselves completely from time to time – even when we were back on 1.5, 1.6, etc.

Per the Motorola support forum admin (Matt) the phone will not see 2.2.

I fixed the problem by losing my phone and upgrading both of ours to a G2. :)

20. Tim
    January 11, 11:06 Reply

Is it necessary to go from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 or can we just go from 2.1 directly to 2.3? I have no interest in getting 2.2 (Froyo) on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant since 2.3 (Gingerbread) is now available. If Samsung (and in this case T-Mobile) wants to forever skip an update and do every other one that is cool but PLEASE SAMSUNG/T-Mobile LET US KNOW WHAT THE SCHEDULE AND/OR PLAN IS FOR UPGRADES.

21. justin
    January 25, 12:51 Reply

nexus s is trash. random reboots.no sd card spot lol

22. Tetsuya
    January 28, 19:26 Reply

Still no 2.3 OTA for Nexus One? I’m waitin’ for ya, Google :)

23. PmS
    March 17, 08:59 Reply

Does HTC wildfire have a 2.3 Upgrade?