Is the Nexus S Also Coming to Sprint and Verizon?

Many Android lovers patiently awaited the arrival of the Nexus One on Sprint and Verizon. Unfortunately, it never ended up happening. From what I gather, Google would have liked a CDMA version to have been produced, but with CDMA carriers releasing so many other powerful devices at the time, there was just no room for Google’s first developer phone. This begs the question–is the Nexus S scheduled to make a CDMA appearance here in the United States? After all, it’s made by Samsung–the same company that made sure to release its Galaxy S line on both GSM and CDMA carriers.

It could be that I’m just reading into things, but after skimming through the Nexus S Challenge contest rules, I noticed something a bit odd. If you were telling someone that a device was only compatible with GSM networks, you’d say that straight out–wouldn’t you? However, that’s not what Google does when talking about the newly released Nexus S. Here’s what the contest rules state under the PRIZES section:

“The currently available Nexus S is a GSM device and is not compatible with CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint.”

Again… I could be reading way too much in to this. Perhaps whoever wrote up the rules just chose an interesting way of saying that they don’t support Sprint or Verizon. On the other hand, maybe there will be a CDMA version of the Nexus S and Google would, therefore, be lying if they said that the Nexus S is only a GSM device. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

HTC EVO 4G LTE will miss its May 18 launch

Sprint’s flagship Android smartphone will be a little late to its own party.

App Reviews

13 apps to mimic the Windows Phone Metro UI on your Android

So you really like the look of Windows Phone and the don’t-call-it-Metro tiles but aren’t in a hurry to give up Android.  What to do?  Dudes, that’s easy – download

Droid X System Dump Leaks

Some lucky new Motorola Droid X user has leaked the Droid X system dump. Because of this, users can now download wallpaper, ringtones, apps, etc from here. That’s right folks, you

1. Rick
    December 07, 12:24 Reply

I wished Google would have listened to Verizon/Sprint customers rather than the carriers, as many of us wanted the Nexus One also. I hope Google will produce a CDMA version of NS for us.

2. M Ward
    December 07, 12:28 Reply

I’m skeptical. The announced Nexus S isn’t even compatible for 3G with the largest GSM carrier in the US, much less the two major CDMA carriers. What motive do Verizon and Sprint have for accepting the Nexus S on their networks? Maybe we’ll see an ATT version of the GSM Nexus S, because at least that can be done with a radio band tweak and little or no involvement from the carrier with an unlocked device. The CDMA situation is totally different and one reason why the US mobile market is such a mess for the consumer.

3. Prototype V
    December 07, 12:38 Reply

If Samsung did it why can’t or doesn’t Google? I’m not getting my hopes up. They give the carrier total control over this it seems.

4. MEvo
    December 07, 12:58 Reply

Honestly I could care less due to the fact the phone doesn’t appeal much to me (performance wise, not the overall look-quite sleek). Since the release of the phone we had a couple lets downs- no LED notification, lack of added memory yes 16gb is enough but imagine when you get to the point where you want to upgrade and your forced to grab a pc to copy and move those precious files. Around the corner we will see the “new standard” of phones so if it doesn’t make the cut that will be fine and if it does please add at least add an SD Slot.

5. steffen jobs
    December 07, 13:11 Reply

i expect a nexus s-lte for verizon in may/june and it will be awesome…..mark my words.

6. blank
    December 07, 13:28 Reply

A Sprint 4G Nexus S would be an ultimate machine.

7. James
    December 07, 14:14 Reply

No microSD is an immediate fail. The lack of any other exciting specs just makes it worse.

If this phone was not released with Gingerbread and was not titled a “Nexus” then it would get no attention whatsoever.

8. Axel
    December 07, 15:33 Reply

All I want, a phone that runs stock Android from HTC on the Sprint network. Why HTC you ask, their phones just feel good in your hand. Solid, sturdy.

9. mark
    December 07, 16:59 Reply

Who knows. But my questions is, how would an unlocked CDMA phone work anyhow? Doesn’t the provider have to program it?
    You think they would program a phone that was not a.) bought from them and b.) didn’t lock the user into a contract?
    (If it was my company, I would because I would want the customer and the monthly invoice that comes with him. But TELCOs seem to prefer the method of holding you by your ankles and shaking until no more money falls out…. )

10. Paul Danger Kile
    December 09, 06:11 Reply

This is everything that I want in a handheld computer. Apparently Google’s newest services are for 2.2 and up only. I want the phone that gets upgraded first.

No SD card is not a problem.
    1) The apps are real-small and will fit.
    2) With the exception of Gameloft games, everything will sync to my new device: every contact (they are Google contacts in the cloud), every email, every calendar appointment, and every app from the market.

The only thing holding me back is that I already have a Galaxy S.

11. Vex Mage
    December 10, 04:14 Reply

Personally I find Sprint charging this 4G surcharge to customers that aren’t in 4G areas as a “premium data plan” is ridiculous. I’d therefore hope the device would remain 3G, which I agree would be a stupid reason to be forced in to.

I think that Google shouldn’t make a 4G, which isn’t even technically 4G, Sprint version based on Sprint’s policies regarding 4G data plans. I truly would buy a 3G Nexus or Nexus S on Sprint.

As for a Verizon version, I can’t think of any negative reason for not making one. Not a reason that doesn’t apply to all carriers GSM or otherwise. Though I don’t follow Verizon as close as Sprint.

12. Miguel
    December 16, 17:04 Reply

I think that they could not have been more clear. “The CURRENTLY AVAILABLE Nexus S” means just that. Don’t buy a Nexus S right now, expecting to activate it with those carriers. They left themselves open to releasing Nexus S phones in the future that are compatible though. No business wants to kill their current sales by releasing to much information about future releases unless they have to.

13. big jon
    December 28, 22:43 Reply

I will stay with my evo……but thanks.