It’s time for the Android Guys Weekly Roundup! Last week was pretty big in the world of Android. This was due in part to the announcement of Gingerbread, but we’ll get to that in a bit. First, it’s customary to start off with the devices that made the news last week. Such devices include:
- The long-awaited Nexus S, which was announced Monday, along with the official site
- An unnamed Motorola tablet running Honeycomb that was shown off by Andy Rubin, and the specs leaked later in the week
- The Moto Droid X and original Droid, which both received maintenance updates
- Our own Russell Holly went hands-on with the Archos 101
- The Optimus U, announced for US Cellular, and the Optimus Mach for Korea
- The LG Star, which leaked in some more photos (because we don’t have enough already), and later in some hands-on pictures
- Samsung’s insanely large Android flip phone that no one wants
- The Huawei IDEOS X5 and X6, announced for Australia
- The Htc Legend, which got some Froyo love in Europe
- And finally, the HTC Knight, which leaked in production-ready pictures, and was later seen with a sweet keyboard
Let’s move on to apps. A lot of apps made the news last week, so I’m going to do my best to cover them all. Starting off with an Android Guys exclusive, BioLock is said to be bringing biometric authentication to Android. Next, MessageEase 2.0 went global, Ekahu released a pretty pricey network troubleshooting app, Rovio announced in-game purchases, available next year, 2 classic Dr. Seuss books hit the Market, and Seesmic’s Android app got a UI upgrade. Other apps include a 7-Eleven Slurpee app, a Fring update, Kelley Blue Book app, Mafia Wars for Android, and the Sirius XM Radio app added Howard Stern to its channels.
We're giving stuff away to help celebrate our tenth anniversary. Are you in?
Now, on to what everyone was talking about last week: Gingerbread. As mentioned above, the Nexus S was unveiled along with Gingerbread on Monday, and Google didn’t disappoint. You can check out Gingerbread features here and here. Along with 2.3, several Google Apps got updates, including Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, and even the Android Keyboard.
Well, that’s about it for the week. That’s your Android Guys Weekly Roundup. Thanks for reading, and feel free to let us know what you think about Gingerbread, the LG Star, or anything mentioned above. We look forward to reading your comments!