Google Releases Android Tips and Tricks

Most people in the Android community know what they’re doing, at least on a base level. They know how to check their Gmail, use the browser, tether their device, etc. But for those that don’t, Google’s released a list of helpful Android Tips and Tricks on their Official Google Blog. Keep in mind that many of these are exclusive to Gingerbread, so they might not work or have the same effect on your device. Check out the full list of Android tips and tricks and let us know what you think. Did you learn something new? Was it helpful? Sound off in the comments below!

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Dropbox update gives users the ability to export files to an SD card

Just because C.E.S. is taking over the news by storm, doesn’t mean we forgot to report on other useful information.  Dropbox released an update recently, version 2.4.7.14, which gives the

LG and VMware Bringing Virtual Environments to Android [VIDEO]

LG and VMware have partnered up to bring virtualization to an Android phone near you. The handset maker understands as well as anyone that today’s smart phones are more than capable of handling both work and play needs. Rather than carrying around two devices with separate features, LG plans to offer a virtual work environment using an Android application.

RadioShack Offering Discounts for Foursquare Check-Ins

RadioShack is offering a pair of great Android deals with discounted Epic 4G and Transform handsets. Further, Foursquare users can earn up to 20% off their purchases.

1. Moldy
    December 21, 21:58 Reply

“Tango: A free, high-quality video call app that works on both 3G and Wi-Fi. If your device has a front facing camera (e.g., Nexus S), you will love this app.”

I have a Nexus S and I *don’t* love this app because it doesn’t support the front facing camera!!!

Jonathan Rosenberg, Senior Vice President, Product Management – FAIL

• davis
      December 21, 22:56 Reply

God that’s stupid. I wish android would approve apps like apple. I have an iPhone and a nexus one and I haven’t looked in the nexus market since I got it. I search for apps I know work I never just browse because 85% of android apps are an embarrassment to developers around the world.

• Reggie
      December 21, 23:11 Reply

I think they just updated tango this evening to work with the front facing camera of the nexus s! I love tango! I use it with my family that lives in chicago all the time!

2. birbeck
    December 21, 22:01 Reply

How about how to set a live wallpaper. You wouldn’t believe how many users 1-star live wallpapers and say it won’t open.

3. JR
    December 22, 19:09 Reply

Tango actually updated their app to support the front facing camera for Nexus S. Download the latest version and give it a try.

4. Ronell
    December 24, 00:10 Reply

Learned about Instant Heart Rate and Tango.

I’d also highly recommend:
    Mr. Number (effectively free Caller ID Name) — “Social Caller ID! Get Reverse Lookup for any US number OR get Automatic Caller ID if you let other members look up mystery numbers in your contacts. Add new contacts or report spam calls with one click.” It does work beautifully against spam: every few days I get a call from “Suspected Spam” (new # every time). Also, the reverse lookup actually works for non-member phone numbers — apparently they pay to get the data from telcos.

Gesture Search — “lets you search your Android-powered device by drawing gestures on the touch screen. It allows you to quickly find a contact, a bookmark, an application, or a music track from hundreds or thousands of items, all in one place. It is fast and fun to use.” It’s simply awesome.

Other cool ones I’ll mention briefly:
    Alarm Clock Plus — allows very gentle wake up with very slowly volume increasing rings.
    SayMyName — speaks out the Caller ID (name). Very useful.
    Swype — the best keyboard for tiny touch screens.
    Ustream Broadcast — tried a few of these streamers and this one was the most stable and highest quality.
    WiFi Analyzer — comes in handy to configure wifi routers while avoiding channel interference.
    Caller ID Faker
    No Signal Alert

Would love to hear what are your most useful apps as well!