Google Releases Android Tips and Tricks

Most people in the Android community know what they’re doing, at least on a base level. They know how to check their Gmail, use the browser, tether their device, etc. But for those that don’t, Google’s released a list of helpful Android Tips and Tricks on their Official Google Blog. Keep in mind that many of these are exclusive to Gingerbread, so they might not work or have the same effect on your device. Check out the full list of Android tips and tricks and let us know what you think. Did you learn something new? Was it helpful? Sound off in the comments below!

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Pre-Orders for G2 Start Tomorrow, Phone Hitting Stores October 6th

TmoNews is reporting that pre-orders for the T-Mobile G2 will start tomorrow for current existing customers. Thank you T-Mobile! The pre-order exclusive will extend to October 4th, just a few

Cooking Capsules Releases Long-Awaited Brunch Recipes

The team over at Cooking Capsules has released their much anticipated followup application. After taking a top 20 spot in the first Android Developers Challenge with Cooking Capsules Taster, this

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Online Simulator

Want to learn some tips about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in a direct approach, instead of watching a video? Then you should check out Samsung’s all new tutorial simulator

1. Moldy
    December 21, 21:58 Reply

“Tango: A free, high-quality video call app that works on both 3G and Wi-Fi. If your device has a front facing camera (e.g., Nexus S), you will love this app.”

I have a Nexus S and I *don’t* love this app because it doesn’t support the front facing camera!!!

Jonathan Rosenberg, Senior Vice President, Product Management – FAIL

• davis
      December 21, 22:56 Reply

God that’s stupid. I wish android would approve apps like apple. I have an iPhone and a nexus one and I haven’t looked in the nexus market since I got it. I search for apps I know work I never just browse because 85% of android apps are an embarrassment to developers around the world.

• Reggie
      December 21, 23:11 Reply

I think they just updated tango this evening to work with the front facing camera of the nexus s! I love tango! I use it with my family that lives in chicago all the time!

2. birbeck
    December 21, 22:01 Reply

How about how to set a live wallpaper. You wouldn’t believe how many users 1-star live wallpapers and say it won’t open.

3. JR
    December 22, 19:09 Reply

Tango actually updated their app to support the front facing camera for Nexus S. Download the latest version and give it a try.

4. Ronell
    December 24, 00:10 Reply

Learned about Instant Heart Rate and Tango.

I’d also highly recommend:
    Mr. Number (effectively free Caller ID Name) — “Social Caller ID! Get Reverse Lookup for any US number OR get Automatic Caller ID if you let other members look up mystery numbers in your contacts. Add new contacts or report spam calls with one click.” It does work beautifully against spam: every few days I get a call from “Suspected Spam” (new # every time). Also, the reverse lookup actually works for non-member phone numbers — apparently they pay to get the data from telcos.

Gesture Search — “lets you search your Android-powered device by drawing gestures on the touch screen. It allows you to quickly find a contact, a bookmark, an application, or a music track from hundreds or thousands of items, all in one place. It is fast and fun to use.” It’s simply awesome.

Other cool ones I’ll mention briefly:
    Alarm Clock Plus — allows very gentle wake up with very slowly volume increasing rings.
    SayMyName — speaks out the Caller ID (name). Very useful.
    Swype — the best keyboard for tiny touch screens.
    Ustream Broadcast — tried a few of these streamers and this one was the most stable and highest quality.
    WiFi Analyzer — comes in handy to configure wifi routers while avoiding channel interference.
    Caller ID Faker
    No Signal Alert

Would love to hear what are your most useful apps as well!