No, you can’t have Gingerbread on your Xperia X10 yet and it’ll probably take a long time before you can, but you can apply a custom ROM with a Gingerbread theme. I’ve made a mod of the AOSP ROM we’ve talked about earlier to make it look like Gingerbread. The screenshots are a bit outdated, I’ve modified the notification bar today.
It resembles Gingerbread, but it’s just a mod of the 2.1 AOSP ROM from Jerpelea and zdzihu.
Here’s a mod of the AOSP ROM. What I’ve basically done is added a Gingerbread theme, add some Gingerbread apps and a few other things. It’s based on version 008a of the AOSP ROM.
This ROM has practically the same issues as the AOSP ROM, meaning:
- The camera crashes in the Advanced Settings
- Video recording doesn’t work
- The camera isn’t usable in other applications, like the Barcode Scanner for example.
- The Gingerbread launcher doesn’t work yet. Work in progress.
As you can see, these are primarily issues with the camera driver, which needs to be rewritten. For details on installing this, continue reading.
To install the ROM, you need to have a custom recovery, in this case xRecovery, installed. Here’s how to do that:
What you need…
- 2.1 ROM on your phone, this will not work with 1.6 Android.
- The files for the install are here – xRecovery 0.2-release
- Phone must have ROOT access and have busybox installed from the market (this is crucial
1. Download the APK file and copy it to your phone2. Install the APK file and run it.
3. Click on the “Install xRecovery” button. In most cases, this will simply install the menu and you are done!
Now we’re ready to install the actual ROM. Copy the file to the root of your SD-card and rename it to update.zip. Boot into xRecovery (Press BACK button few times right after the white SE logo appears. and select (Navigation keys: Volume up, volume down and Home-button to select) “install update.zip from SD-card. Take a cup of coffee and relax. Just like all other tech-stuff, this takes a while.
There is also an untested version with the the menu-text in grey, so that you can read it again. Please note that this could brick your device, as it has not been tested. I wasn’t able to revert a certain file back to Android’s binary xml, so I’m not completely sure if it works. Download available here.
If everything is fine, you can now enjoy a Gingerbread look-a-like. Have fun!
You can find out more and comment the ROM in the application thread.