January 29, 2015

The "Android SMS Bug" Does Not Exist [Updated]

Update: I was wrong. See this new post for new information about the specific conditions that cause the bug. -CF

Let me tell you all a story of my youth. I was in high school, driving around in my first car, a 1976 Mercury Monarch. Approaching an intersection, I saw the stop sign too late; I was going to run right into the guy coming the other way. Last ditch effort, I slammed on the brakes and, inexplicably, the car lurched forward into the intersection. What the eff? The other car swerved, ended up just running into the Monarch’s trunk, took off the back bumper. It was my first accident and my first ticket (for blowing that stop sign). But I couldn’t understand, what was wrong with the car that made it accelerate when I slammed on the brakes?

That’s right, folks, I had slammed on the gas, not the brakes. Nothing was wrong with the car. But it took a while to get that through my head.

Over the past week, a supposed Android bug has gotten a lot of press, both on Android-related sites and mainstream tech sites. A bug report claims that SMS messages intended for one person are getting sent to a different, unintended recipient. Worrisome to be sure, but why has Google taken no action on it, leaving it at medium priority until all the bad press this week?

My guess is that they have been unable to reproduce it. It’s certainly never happened to me, nor to the large majority of Android users. As I write, about 4,500 people have starred the issue on Google Code. Sounds like a lot until you remember that’s 1.5% of the number of Android phones being activated every day. And, reading through the comments, you’ll see that most of those 4,500 have not experienced the issue. They’re starring it because they read about it somewhere.

There are a few reports from people who say they have personally been affected by the issue. Many say it happens when they are rapidly switching between multiple conversations. Others offer magical thinking like “it seems like deleting all my texts fixes the issue for a while” and “it got a little better with the 2.2.1 update.” Sounds like user error to me. Just like when I slammed on the gas, absolutely sure it was the brakes, I’m sure they honestly believe they are not at fault.

Are there other possibilities? Sure:

• It could be a user interface issue that makes users susceptible to errors, especially when they are trying to switch quickly.
  • It could be hardware issues with specific phones or specific models of phones, maybe touchscreen issues?
  • It could be a real bug.

My guess is that it’s user error, perhaps exacerbated by some user interface feature that makes the error more likely than in third party apps.

Today, Google upped the priority to critical, which some took as confirmation that the bug is real. But at the same time, a Google representative noted that “this is a very difficult to reproduce bug.” It seems clear the priority was upped due to all the bad press, despite their never being able to reproduce the issue internally.

Could I be wrong? Sure, it happens now and then. But the burden of proof is on those claiming a bug exists. I will gladly and loudly raise the alert if someone can produce a reliable way for anyone to reproduce the issue and/or logs of the issue occuring. The steps I’ve seen to reproduce the issue involve switching rapidly between multiple conversations, which, again, is a good way to create user error.

this is a very difficult to reproduce bug.this is a very difficult to reproduce bug.

1. EddieKrueger

Happened to my girlfriend about 3 times in a single hour, then never again. She was using CM 6.x no a Sprint Hero. Single conversation, never left it. Doubt it was a UI issue… or touchscreen, since she never backed out of the conversation to begin with…

• James

So again you are citing someone ELSE having the issue rather than yourself. Hate to tell you but your GF IS fallible (as much as she’d like you to think otherwise). This is a non-issue. I text heavily from my Moto A855 and never had this issue.

2. bryan

I agree, it seems like it is either user error it an issue facing only certain software builds on certain handsets. If it is a bug caused by a handset manufacturer rweaking the messaging app then google may noy be able to do anything about it, even if it is a real bug. I work for T-mobile and have not seen a single report of this issue.

3. Steve

Happened to me once. I sent a message to someone and it went to someone else. If I looked at my messages it said that I sent it to the person I intended to, but they never got it.

4. Matt

Never had a problem with texts sending to the wrong contact.

However, I did have other SMS-related issues. I would open the Messaging app and open the thread with Person X and instead it would open an older thread with person Y (way older, there is like 8 different threads between the two.

5. Lex

I’ve never had this SMS issue, but I’ve had similar issues with the dialer.

The first phone call I made was supposed to be to my dad. I looked him up in my contacts, long-pressed his name and dialed him from there. I was surprised to see that my phone decided to dial my mom instead. Different last names, separated by like 30 people in my contacts, yet it dialed her instead. This has happened once or twice more in the last 5-6 months.

Every now and then I’ll go through my call history and try to return a call from there and I’ll notice that my touchscreen responds funny. I’ll click on an entry toward the top of the screen, but it will register on one toward the bottom and end up calling that contact instead.

Weird.

(LG Ally, btw)

6. wootroot

A blog post with a title making a statement that does not exist and filled with a short story and opinions/ideas. Shouldn’t this have been “might not exist”? Or something along those lines?

*sigh*

7. authorwjf

Great job, Chuck. Way to help take some focus away from a real issue that I’ve been working like mad for the last six months to get Google to take a look at. Apparently not only can you not drive, but you don’t know much about technology either. Exactly what are your qualifications for blogging this issue doesn’t exist? Oh yeah, you own an Android phone, have not experienced the issue first hand, and have access to the Internet.

I am a low-level software developer with 15 years under my belt. This problem is real, is related to the operating system messaging library itself, and is difficult to reproduce because it involves context switching and state restoration. Things you obviously know nothing about. I can say definitively that this is not a phone or carrier specific issue, though it does happen more often with newer phones, as they have faster processors. The SMS application that ships with the stock OS, does cause a lot of user errors, because the UI is poor and the way lists are reloaded is not ideal. But I have personally experienced this issue on multiple models of phones, using stock and third party SMS apps.

Any readers of this blog who want to get a real idea what is going on should log into the Google forum and check out issue 9392, specifically comment 38. Its here that I tried hard to explain the seriousness of this bug and get the attention of the community behind it without diving too deep into the technical details. I suggest you take a look too, Chuck. Just because you can’t tell a brake pedal from an accelerator doesn’t make the rest of us bad drivers too.

• Stewart

If you are so smart and can so easily reproduce it, why haven’t you submitted a patch yet? Your post is full of technical falacies, which lends me to believe you are just blowing smoke.

• Rich

Agree completely with @Stewart – if you can reproduce it, why not send the stack to Google and help them out?

@authorwjf – I read your comment 38: Very long, but it’s just a rant and doesn’t provide any actual useful information.

All seems like FUD to me.

• authorwjf

You guys are missing the point. I don’t think this is easy to fix, or that I’m so smart. I have 3 development phones and if I direct messages from two of them at the third and actively try to respond to the incoming messages eventually this will happen. The point is that I have made some effort to verify its an actual issue, not just posted a blog that says it didn’t happen because I once pressed the gas on my car instead of the brake.

I get paid to work on a specific device driver. This is my job. When there is a problem with it, I take it serious and make it right. Google seems to be doing that, now, and I have no doubt there will be a fix coming down the pipe. The issue here is that it took six months and all these stupid e-mails and articles to get them to take it serious and I don’t want to see Chuck or anyone else derail that momentum.

8. mnguyea

I’ve had two android phones…first mytouch and now nexus one and have never had this issue. I did send a txt to a wrong person once but that was user error of hitting the keys too fast. I’m sure if the was a true problem it would be much more wide spread. This is like the Guy who claimed his Droid exploded on him. People all just chime in just to chime in.

9. Minotaur

If everyone kept up with new firmware it wouldn’t exist. I believe it is from user error
    from using buggy 3rd party apps and hacked up beta versions of Android etc.
    Like using CM on a SGS, it’s as buggy as hell CM is over rated. Go Doc! ;)

10. JCopernicus

Are you seriously suggesting that because the cause might be user error, it doesn’t exist? What is wrong with you. As stated above there are WAY too many variables to be able to recreate this properly. I’m flabbergasted at the poor attempt to downplay a various serious bug that’s hard to reproduce.

Note to android guys: stick to reporting factual news, reviews, and leave any kind of editorial pieces out, because the last couple posted up here(irrelevant or authors) have been HUGE stinkers.

11. Joel

Sorry to rain on the parade. I have personally experienced this problem multiple times and it is beyond a doubt an error within the os. When viewing my conversation screen I will touch the topmost conversation to compose a message, only to realize that it in fact opened an entirely different conversation thread to a different contact. Now if the thread for that contact were in fact placed directly underneath the intended contact then I would be willing to believe it was user error. However it often sends me to a conversation which is very far down in the list, often far enough down that I would actually have to scroll down the screen to get to it.

As I said I’ve experienced this bug multiple times and while I can’t reproduce it at will, I have on several occasions been paying extremely close attention when it occurred. This is not a user error. It occurs often enough that I am now in the habit of double checking which thread was opened every time I compose a message.

• zaiger

Yes but what he is saying is different. He is saying that people are saying that it is sending the message to someone else. I have the same issue that you are explaining, Droid 1 with Cyanogenmod 6.1.2, but I have never experienced the issue in the OP.

• itrustme

I co sign joel. Ive had that same problem on all my android phones. (mytouch,nexus one,vibrant,and g2)

12. zaiger

Sometimes when I try to open a conversation thread it will open a different thread, but I notice right away and back out and try again and it almost always brings me to the conversation I want to be in the second time around. I would say about 10-15% or the time, but that is just a ballpark figure.

13. AB

I’ve faced this issue quite a few times. as recently as today. its definitely not a ‘user error’ . although, it happens only when there are multiple messages in my inbox from multiple people. its quite annoying really. always having to get replies saying ‘huh? was that message for me’ etc. Tsk! HTC wildfire user. don’t know if its an android issue or an HTC one. hope its fixed ASAP though.

14. Fred

I have had this problem frequently. Have a Samsung Galaxy S I9000 that typically sends wrong every fifth time I send an SMS.

I know several who have the same problem.

So let us not be like the iPhone fanboys. We must accept there are bugs and they do not get solved. Samsung says it is a flaw in the Android and I get no response from Google. This is hopeless. This will be my last Android phone if no solution is coming soon.

I usually send 50-60 text messages per day, but the more I realize that these are delivered to the wrong recipient, so I hardly dare not send any.

• Iria

Unlike the death grip issue with the iPhone 4 I’ve seen no videos of this. If you can reproduce it so easily, how about one?

I’ve never seen this issue, but when using Flyscreen and trying to send an email for a story from one of the widgets I use (TechMeme), I’ve seen the email contact edit field lag so much I can see it being easy to click too fast and send to the wrong person (btw, that’s a custom email UI, so it’s not Google).

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but if it’s so easy, it would be great to see a video. Then we can all stop saying “nay.”

• Tech-Ex

Fred, if you can reproduce the issue and video it, upload it to YouTube, please, and let us know.

15. TurboFool

I suspect you’re PARTIALLY correct, but in the same way that EVERYONE had unintended acceleration in the Prius after a few reports of a stuck accelerator, but careful review of the records showed the vast majority of the complaints were from elderly, inexperienced drivers, and people parking (all circumstances likely to cause pedal confusion). In this case there’s one factor you seem to be ignoring: for some people the text messages are showing up in the correct thread on the sender’s side, but being received by the wrong person. This clearly proves it’s not user error, as the phone’s not going to magically figure out after the fact who it was meant for and move it there while still having sent it to the wrong person. Still, I suspect the majority of the hubbub over the ones that don’t fit this description are people clinging to this so they can avoid being called out on their own mistakes.

16. Jonathan

Let’s hope Google doesn’t take the stance that the Chuck did: “I’ve never seen it and its rare so must be user error”.

I’m no idiot. I pressed the first thread on my SMS list, typed the message, hit sent. The message went to my sister in law which was 4 threads down.

Ive experience this on 2 different devices (Hero & EVO) on 2 different ROMS (Stock HTC & Cyanogenmod 6.1) and 2 different apps (Handcent and GoSMS).

My wife encountered the same thing on her EVO (Stock, non-rooted).

There is a bug.

• Rene

“There is a bug.”

We are talking about the default Android SMS apps, but you talk about experience with 2 different apps. Your reasoning is flawed, much like to orginal post explains:

“But it took a while to get that through my head.”

17. Andromorph

What’s still not clear to me is that the software sends the message to a completely different number OR the users find themselves in a different message thread after tapping the desired one? (and mistakenly reply to an unrelated thread)

If it’s the latter it could be an interface bug. I’ve seen it in the Contacts manager and in the Manage Applications menu and it’s related to the large number of Contacts/Apps. The OS first loads the data and then a sorting method gets applied to the entries which causes some lag and sometimes I find myself in a wrong contact page or application property panel.

If the OS sends the message to an unrelated person – well that is a major issue. In this case Android users better learn the way to be nice to everyone :)

18. SwissDroid

I’m using Android phones since over 1.5 years. Two different models (HTC Magic, HTC Desire), four Android versions (1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.2.) and wrote quite a number of messages, number of this bug: NEVER. None of my friends had it. But: The only times I noticed messages sent, that shouldn’t have been sent, was after I drunk too much… :-)

19. Gus

Never happened to me, I have used the G1 for a year, the Nexus One for a year, and I just got my Nexus S, and I’m sure it won’t happen with it as well. I’m an average txter.

I agree with Chuck this is most certainly a user problem that sites like Engadget are just promoting for a possibly hidden agenda? Conspiracy theory anyone :)

20. Dal

Having Had Android devices since launch, I’ve gone through over 8 Android handsets. Some rooted. Some not. All variants of firmware. some on the same carrier, some different. Some running vanilla Android. Some running senseUI. Some running blur. Some running TouchWiz. Some running with a SnapDragon processor, some with a HummingBird.

How many times have I had this issue?

Zero.

• Joel

I’ve been going to the gas station for over 20 years. How many times have I been carjacked? Zero.
      Therefore it must not ever happen to anyone.

• James

However you confuse anecdotal evidence for actual evidence. If you were “carjacked” at the gas station – the station could replay the video and you’d see it. With this we just have (an inept) class of users screaming foul because they don’t know how to use their phone. Just for giggles – I’m going to switch back to the default app from ChompSMS for 2 weeks to see if I can get this issue to come up. I doubt it will – hasn’t ever since I bought my A855.

• Dal

Implying There is a bug would be a safe assumption that it will happen to everyone at least once.

microsoft had a bug in the first release of windows XP. This bug caused an unmountable boot volume. MS found the bug, and patched it. Those that didn’t patch ALL had the problem, some sooner then others, but universally shared amongst those without the patch.

The “carjacking must not exist” is the absolute worst analog I’ve ever heard. Operating Systems are built on a series of code which can have errors leading to a universal “bug”.
        Last time I checked, we are not living in the Matrix, so our ability to be human, and make the choice to carjack person A versus person B is just that. A choice, not a universally written defect which lies inside all of us.

Learn a thing or 2 about programming AND proper use of analogies before you make such statements. I’d hate for you to improperly use another horrible analogy like that in real life. Just some advice which I’m sure you will take the wrong way though…

21. Richard

For me what happens is a combination of OS and user error, not quite what is being reported maybe…

I’ve had this a few times on a stock Nexus One (always pre 2.2), and a friend has had it a few times on her stock Samsung Galaxy (pre 2.2). We’re both heavy SMS users, i.e. I have tens of threads with hundreds of messages in each. In a nutshell: it was opening up the wrong message thread from the “new message” in the notifications pulldown, and putting too much faith into the system I was already typing my reply and hitting send before noticing I was looking at another message thread, so the message ends up going to the wrong place.

As an Android coder I could envisage how this sort of glitch may happen, but when something is this hard to reproduce it smells of a race condition which could be incredibly hard to find.

I haven’t had it in a while, there have been 2 firmware updates since then and of course I learned to pay more attention pretty fast after sending messages to friends that were meant for my girlfriend.

22. Craig Danuloff

You’re upset that people are claiming something they can’t prove, and with your headline and post you do the exact same thing! Your opinions are appreciated, but this hype and link-bait headline that the post content does not support or even suggest is terrible. Big bold headline, promising facts and information – whiny article full of your opinion just as unproven as those of the people you’re arguing against. The web is becoming a tougher place to navigate due to sensational headlines like this.

23. Spode

Although I agree – *so* many errors are human related, like my girlfriend suggesting her alarm was 12 hours out, when she probably set it to PM instead of AM.

However, I’ve had this problem when inside one conversation, not switching around…

Also – the reason this probably hasn’t been looked into deeply, is probably because they are assuming the same thing as you. I think anyone who goes out of their way to file a bug report about something, wouldn’t do so unless they were pretty certain about it.

24. Pete Austin

re: “But the burden of proof is on those claiming a bug exists.”

I really hope you are not a programmer. Personally I want to know about all bugs, proven or not, so I can see patterns. Also, UI issues are bugs too.

25. The_Omega_Man

The first that I heard of this problem was on the iNgadget site last week. Not one of my Android toting friends or associates (across all domestic carriers) has indicated that they have experienced this alleged problem. That not to say that there is no possibility of this being a system bug, but it does not appear to be a widespread mass-effecting thing, like proximity sensors or dropped calls. I’m just saying.

26. yeaaa

The problem I have is tht I click on a different conversation and a different one comes up. I know this is not just me failing to pick the right conversation cause I have been clicking on apparently and different apparently open? Bbv0.6.2

27. Shane Goodine

Please be considerate and at least update the blog post title. You are wrong.
    I’m a technical person and the problem is real. Folks have however, done a poor job of explaining the issue correctly / consistently…

28. Gubatron

What I don’t understand is why people are still using SMS, when everybody has internet access on their phones, why can’t you just use Email, Facebook, Twitter… They’re free and a lot better.
    SMS takes ages (I often get SMS or have my SMS arriving after a few hours, the next day or never at all)

Screw SMS.

29. Chris Tankersley

I think this has more to do with buggy manufacturer software and user error than with Android itself. I’ve owned a Droid Eris from HTC and a Droid 2 Global from Motorola, as well as a Blackberry Curve and Droid through work.

The stock Droid Eris (with 1.6 and the upgrade to 2) with Sense was horribly buggy on both mine and my wife’s phone. The dialer was slow and would cause misdials (I’d click her name, but the dialer was updating at the same time and the slot would end up being occupied by someone else). We did it all the time.

I rooted my Eris and ran different roms without Sense. Completely cleared up the issue since the phone was then overclocked to 800mhz (which improved overall response from the phone) and removed Sense. My wife had problems up until we switched to Droid 2’s.

One ‘bug’ I did see on the Eris (both of them) was then when I would have unread responses from multiple people, it got a little weird on who it would bring up. For example, if I got a message from Person A and just read it in the notification area, and then cleared it, when I got a message from Person B and clicked the message to open it, I would be taken tom Person A. Annoying, but as long as I looked at the screen I knew who I was talking too.

With the Droid 2 I haven’t had any problems. With the Droid I didn’t either, and that one was more stock than the Droid 2.

Contrast this with the Blackberry, where the interface just makes it horrible to keep up with multiple conversations in Pre-OS 5 versions (it’s an old BB). I’d mis-reply all the time, but that’s because the interface was bad.

30. pat

I have this problem (Nexus one) and it happen before and after I had root. I could send pictures to non believers. On them you will see me going sorry wrong person. One to my sis and the other to my nephew.

31. Gary

Lol even if they do fix it how do they intend to get it fixed? Sure they can update AOSP but there’s a lot of handsets out there, Android updates are always going to be difficult to get out especially to old/low end devices, ‘critical’ or not.

32. motoxer

I had this problem a few times but everytime it was my fault. I would be in the middle of 4 or 5 text conversations and send a message to the wrong person. The problem is the name is at the top and after a long conversation, its to easy to not scroll to the top to see it befor you send another reply.
    Ive certainly have had no issues with sending text to miscellaneous numbers that weren’t on my contact list.

33. Andrew

would be good if you could find this thread off xda? OP you also forgot that the message stays in the list and you can only tell that the message went to another person using the ‘message details’ screen.

34. jp

I love your analogy to the issue with your car, and I think you hit the nail on the head. Here’s the issue I’ve been having with Android SMS on my Nexus One with stock Froyo:

If I open the Messaging app and press someone’s name that I have texted before, it occasionally brings up a conversation with someone else. I’ve had this problem maybe a couple times a month for the year that I’ve owned it, and it has never caused me to send a text to the wrong recipient. I just hit the back button and choose the correct conversation.

True, there are probably people out there who have done this without realizing it, and accosted their grandparents with accidental booty calls… But I have never once SENT a text went to the wrong recipient. I just look before I send.

I think the panic was caused by the way the bug was presented, probably by someone who made such a mistake and couldn’t imagine the cause might be their own observational negligence. It’s a bug, yes, but not a very serious one.

• HuhWhat?

If you select one contact or a conversation thread and the OS returns a completely different one, that is absolutely a critical issue!!! “Just double check” is both obvious and condescending to people who expect their stuff to perform or are trying to raise technical awareness of the problem.

35. zebb

This happens all the time on my Incredible, it will send messages to people I have never message before. I have to be very diligent now in looking to make sure the recipient is set to who its supposed to be.

It’s not user error, unlike apparently your poor driving abilities.

36. /b/rotherJudas

There is most definately a bug. I had it happen on multiple roms and configurations with mytouch 3g and mytouch 3g 1.2. I’ve also had it happen with mytouch 4g, but haven’t seen it since I ditched sense for cm7.

37. geeknik

It has been upgraded to “Critical” now, so hopefully all of the interfacewebtube uproar will die down and we can read about something else. =)

38. nXt

This sms bug is old, since the T-Mobile G1, it existed, read reports about it. No wonder why suddenly it’s a big deal.

But anyways, it does exist. I had a Nexus One and it finally happened to me.
    I was txting 2 people at the same time. I wrote Person1 “Message5″. Person 2 responded asking me what “Message5″ was. I go look at the message thread and it shows me writting Person1 “Message5″ but nothing about it in the Person 2 thread. It was the weirdest thing.

39. Michael

What a condescending ass! I’ve been texting on a wide variety of devices since the technology first became available. I’ve also had this bug happen to me several times. I have never experienced this problem with any other operating system. The worst part of the whole Internet blog system is the lack of professionalism. You probably see yourself as a “journalist”, just because you write. How utterly unprofessional that you would headline an article that this bug “doesn’t exist” because it hasn’t happened to you. What a joke. Don’t quit your day job.

40. Elvis

I’ve had it where when I click on someone to send a sms it will open the wrong person, but when I see it I can see it click somewhere else completely so to me that seems to be an obvious hardware issue and having a D1 that I’ve dropped plenty of times its no surprise here… I think its possible something similar may be happening to many (definately not all) so maybe simmering down a little and making sure the right conversation is open could solve some issues whether they be soft or hard issues

41. Not happy

Right, no second hand comments here. I have an HTC Desire with 2.2.

…and sending multiple sms to friends (in the UK and France), only to find that some SMS have ended up in Australia and the Philippines.

This time round it was only a “Happy new year”, so my love spread beyond my expectations to the obvious amusement of my unknown recipients, but if I were to send my adress and the code for my door I would like that to arrive to the intended recipient, not somebody else.

Google, this is a proper cockup, and a serious leak of personal information.

SORT THIS OUT !

42. HuhWhat?

I wasn’t going to bother commenting, but your headline and attitude in this post is really pretty ignorant. It’s obviously a legit OS issue that deserves attention – even though you haven’t experienced it. Either your interest in being pro-Android for the sake of this site is obscuring that, or you’re just trying to game traffic and pageviews by being a troll. Which is it?

43. Flashben

Someone else may have said this already. But after reading this news, there may have other cause, the third party app could be bug instead of android bug….. or even some server issue due to high usage during this festive session….

44. Randy

Its happened to me a few times (maybe 10) in the few years that ive used the Android OS. The first few times I thought it might have been me. I’ve since come to realize that it’s definitely not me. There is definitely an obscure bug somewhere. Its pretty annoying sending a text to the wrong person. Luckily, it hasn’t gotten me in any trouble yet.

45. Darren

Here is a bug that I know personally has affected me that could lead to this appearing to happen as reported. What has happened to me (at least a couple times a day) is that I select a conversation with one person, and instead get the conversation for someone else.

I’ve never sent a text to the wrong person, but I can see where if I weren’t paying attention that it picked the wrong conversation and just texted, it would happen, and I wouldn’t know why.

In short, I’ver never seen a bug where I’ve sent a text to the wrong person, but I HAVE seen one where the wrong conversation is selected, and I have to back and reselect. And this is definately not user error, it has picked conversations that aren’t even on the screen at the time.

• Jason Harris

@Darren: I have this happen to me and it happens often. I am running stock Froyo and when I punch on a message in the notifications window, I am taken to a completely different convo. It stands to reason if I wasn’t paying attention I could send a message to the wrong person.

Also, that bug happens to me just about every day or two.

46. Tom

This has happened to me numerous times. But I found out what was at fault. Handcent SMS pop up alert feature. if you have more than one new message and send on from the pop-up it is likely to reply to the wrong message.

47. Android Guru

I have never seen this bug personally & I am on my 4th Android device. What I have seen though is sometimes when I select a messages to read/reply to, it will display a completely different message than the one I selected. Maybe that is the real issue?

48. Tim

Here is what I’ve noticed. I see an SMS message come into the notification area at the top of the screen. It has the sender’s name and the first line or two of the text. The name next to the sms icon says the text is from person ‘A’ but looking at the text I can tell that the message is from person ‘B’. When I open the text message the correct sender’s name is attached to the text. This happens inconsistently and is very sporadic. I believe it happens most when the phone’s CPU and perhaps memory is near capacity doing GPS navigation, playing music and I’m searching, etc. I hope they get this fixed soon. My device is the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant from T-Mobile. Overall it is a great phone. The GPS issue is better but not completely resolved. My device still freezes and reboots itself sometimes when I start the GPS. This feature is not available when I actually need it and that is NOT good. Also I wish Samsung would upgrade the OS to 2.3 if it will make my device run better and freeze up less. Plus there are applications and functionality that us 2.1 users can’t use because it is only available on Froyo or above. PLEASE SAMSUNG UPGRADE GALAXY S TO 2.3, NOW!!

49. Casavapiece

I have a Fascinate, and this glitch appears everyday when texting between multiple recipients at the same time… When a response shows up in my notification bar, I pull down to read and respond, the recipient’s name shown (just for this example I will use 1, 2, and 3 as my recipients) will be #1, BUT when I tap and open the text in this field, it shows up as #3 response under #3’s message bubble. Sometimes if I get multiple response at the same time, when I drag down the notification bar, the three responses will list as all from #2, but when I tap on the notification, then it will show that there is a response from all three of my recipients. Now, if I never took the time to open the response from the pull down tab and just cleared it, I would respond to the wrong sender, and there is where the issue may be coming from. I am a “fairly heavy” texter, and this happens EVERY DAY on my phone since I got it, but since I take the time to open the responses from the pull down tab, and not clear them with intent to respond later, I have never replied to, or sent the wrong message to the wrong person. Now if anyone wants to record this, you can make multiple conversations with 2 or 3 persons from your contact list, and pull the notification bar down to see the responses. They may reflect all from one contact or from the first person to be sent a message, but open the responses from the tab itself and you may very well see what the “bug” is. Like I said, this happens to me EVERYDAY, but I figured out how to deal with it. If the powers that be want to contact me about this, my email is attached.

50. Brad

As mentioned above I think this bug is inherent in the Galaxy S line of phones as I’ve never encountered it until running the Vibrant S on the stock 2.1 android. I’ve had it happen to me continuously when my memory was low on the device. Never happened again once I installed the NeroV3 ROM.

51. Michelle Zhang

If I may weigh in on this issue, I’ve never had the report bug happen to me. HOWEVER, I do noticed that sometimes when I select someone’s name in my text message list that sometimes it opens a thread of messages for a different person. Even happens when I go to open a text message notification. It will instead open a text message thread from someone else. This has happened to me at least once a day.

Maybe this is what’s happening with people?

52. Mister Snitch

“Update: I was wrong.”

Well, at least now we know where to get reliable information:
    Somewhere else.

53. Steven Klein

In fairness to Mr. Falzone, he did say in his original post, “It could be a real bug,” and “Could I be wrong? Sure, it happens now and then.”

I’d rather get information from a source who is willing to admit mistakes and post corrections.

54. Dugo

We are indeed fortunate that you are not in a role holding sway over anything important.

The post was not entitled “probably does not exist” – it was simply “does not exist”.

Talk about conceit…

55. josh blomfield

I havnt read many of the comments on this but this happened to me today. I received a message, i read it and immediately knew who sent it without looking at the thread. I replied and when I looked at the top I noticed it had sent to someone else. It was 6am so at first I thought it was me but after looking again i saw that the message I received was in the wrong thread. In the details, it says it is from one person but is in the thread for another. This may be a freak occasion but there is definitely something wrong here. I have the galaxy tab.

56. Biffy

This has happened to me about 5 times in three months now, with HTC Desire messaging app and handcent.
    Basically, the last time it happened, I was texting a friend, replying back and forth, and 1 text in the middle of the rest went to someone else, and was in the thread, looking at message details it had different number in.

This is very random, but serious.

• Ganooba

Yesterday I had a text go to the intended recipient, but it also went to an exgirlfriend whom I had deleted out of my phone six hours earlier. Both parties got the text. Her response showed up with her name on it at first and then,changed to her phone number

57. snorkeling products

I discovered your blog site on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you afterward!…

58. Sh4kil

What the users have reported is true and your assumption it is a user error is incorrect.

Typically, few (or a lot of) text messages in your inbox with some having a lot of threads. You open a text message from person A and type reply and hit send.

The text ends up with person B.

You go in and check the threads and it will be filed under person A, but opeing the text up shows it has been sent to person B.

Orange have suggested it is corrupt contact list, but hmmm… my old Nokia didn’t have the same problem.

59. Lukasb

The bug is very real.
    My gf tried to send a text to a friend, but I got it instead.
    I checked her phone, and I could see the message was actually in the thread it was supposed to be – with her friend. But when I checked the details of the message, it had my number in it.

60. Info Tijdelijk

Normally I wouldn’t be commenting on this.
    Normally I wouldn’t even be on this page.Normally, that is: if I hadn’t encountered the exact same problem as described here.  So sad that the non-believers keep saying “it’s a user error”…Let me describe what I did with my HTC wildfire: I sent an text message to my wife.  She received that message correctly from me. Looking at all messages I notice that my sent message is added to the tread of another contact.  Date and time stamp are correct, and in the details of the message the receivers number is not that of the other contact, but my wife’s.
    The reason why I’m on this page, is because I was looking for: 1) an explanation, 2) a solution to somehow re-initiate the message app so that maybe the corrupted situation could be corrected.
    So far, I’ve tried a few things like switching of completely, deleting a couple of messages, etc… You know, similar to the standard trial and error things you’d do on a windows PC that’s behaving mysteriously :-)

61. Info Tijdelijk

Normally I wouldn’t be commenting on this.

62. genivan

tenho um celular samsug e so aparece erro ao emviaar sms com posso fazer para voltara a emviar

63. Tadpole33

Same thing happened to me.  I wasn’t switching different conversations at the time.  For some reason my message was sent to my mother rather than my sister in law.  Msg showed up in the right thread, never appeared in my mothers thread and if my mum hadn’t replied i would never have known it was sent to the wrong person.  When checking the details of the msg (in the correct thread)  it showed my mothers number instead of sister inlaws.  They don’t have similar names or numbers and i hadn’t been texting them on the same day, so go figure?!  I too was reading this article in the hope for a solution.  It’s certainly reminded me to be careful not to write anything personal in text msg’s :)

64. Poop

This bug is real. Even better, is when numbers and contact names got scrambled. But texts to my girlfriend went to my mother… awkward! Not user error at all, their latest update has gotten rid of the issue for me.

65. Joeyf

Actually this bug is real and has been significantly affecting my life for the past 4 months!! I have an HTC thunderbolt and this happens to me 5-10+ everyday! The only way I hsve found around it is to type a message, press the home button, which will save it as a draft and then send the draft!! I know it is not a user error for a fact because I’ve been paying very close attention to it since the Verizon tech team tried convincing me it was!! My problem is I open a text message thread to let’s say my friend bill. I type the message and press send and after I press send, I watch my phone randomly open any other text message thread it decides to choose(let’s say karissa), which will appear for maybe a second and then send it to karissa instead of bill who it was intended for!!! I’ve made sure so many times I wasn’t accidentally choosing the wrong thread and not paying attention so I know that I’m not making a user mistake!

66. Double Trouble

Well this issue is Real, and was definitely happening with my HTC Thunderbolt A LOT.. I wasn’t me doing it by accident. I would be in a particular message, know I’m in that message type my response and the phone would switch to a totally different message in my box and send it to that person instead of the person I intended it to go to (got me in trouble too).. took the phone to the vzw store and the tech said the same thing was happening to his TB spoke to a rep on the phone and they dint kno wat to do either.. This has been happening since July on my phone everyday and my friends are tired of getting the wrong messages..

It NEEDS to be fixed.. I’m hoping that since the new gingerbread update I won’t have this problem

67. OO

Very real issue!

I was in the MIDDLE of what I call a “textversation” with someone, and somewhere, somehow, the messages started going to another person. I never left the text thread screen. But when I let my phone go black, and came back to it when I heard responses coming in, the last several messages of our textversation went to someone else entirely.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME.

68. Jcf196

Yup – happened to me – the message shows in the conversation thread on my phone with one person, but they didn’t receive it, and another friend did – and showed me. Suspect it’s an issue with the messaging app – it’s always been the most flakey bit of the phone (freezing, opening wrong thread, etc)…

69. convert flv to avi

See, that’s why I prefer to call :) Ok, now seriously – it’s easier to blame someone than yourself… But in this case seems like some people really had this kind of problem, so it has to be considered i think. Though neither me nor any of my friends ever experienced anything like that. Good for us :)

70. Beautifulchaos Mm

Sent a text to my kids dad…it ended up on facebook. Sent text to my daughter it went ti a friend…I was texting only those people at the time.

71. jo321

I keep having the same problem too and find that emptying my inbox now and then is the only way of stopping it. I also recieve texts with a different name and picture than it should be! This has been an ongoing problem which causes alot of confusion. I’ve bern convincing all my friends to use whatsapp messenger instead so that I know my messages wont get mixed up! This problem certainly is not a user error!

72. Vonargylle

This bug happened to me today on my new Galaxy.  Was minding my own business and received text messages from three different individuals all from South Carolina (I’m in KY), none of these messages were intended from me, and when questioning the people who sent them, all reported the phone numbers of the intended recipients were no where close to mine (not even similar area codes).  Very odd.

73. Lopezk97

Pffft it’s kind of frustrating to read that the user’s are being blamed. I have the galaxy s2 and I do not receive messages properly. My friends text me and it turns out that someone in Louisiana has been receiving them, but they receive my messages fine. Once in a while i will receive one text or every other text. This person has actually tried to contact me. My friends don’t have the wrong number. It’s a bug, and it’s very annoying.

74. Owen O'Neill

I send a message to one thread, my friend Jeff, and it shows up in that thread on my phone, but the message is received by my friend Mark. Samsung Galaxy S. WTF kind of crap programming is required for an error like this? I know giant corporations cut corners like no other, but damn.

POST A COMMENT.