HTC Thunderbolt Dropping on Feb 24th

We just got word from one of our guys indicating Verizon is releasing the Thunderbolt on February 24th.  Our source was not able to confirm pricing , but we’re hearing $249 with a two-year contract.  Sounds about right for the first phone on Big Red to offer 4G speeds and simultaneous voice and data.  Most of the upper echelon phones dance around the $200 price point, rarely going over.  Anyone interested in picking one of these up come next month?

It should be noted that we’ve heard the rumors of an earlier launch around Valetine’s Day, February 14th.  Our source has been really strong for us in the past, so we trust it.  We’re hoping to get physical proof of some sorts to help confirm details.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6615 posts

Sprint Working on “Maintenance Release” for Hero

Those of you who own the Sprint Hero will be happy to know that a maintenance release for Android is in the works.  While it’s not an upgrade to 1.6

ASUS Eee Pad Slider Price Revealed, Launching Later this Month

Remember the ASUS Eee Pad Slider which was announced by ASUS at the CES 2011? It’s been almost 8 months and still no sign of the first Android tablet to

ZipCar launches Android App to Help You Own a Car, One Hour at a Time

For those of you city dwellers who do not own a vehicle, but would like to have access to one from time to time, Zip Car offers you just that with the ability to rent a vehicle for an hour or a day. I first saw the Zip Car model when visiting home in Boston, and I thought it was a great idea, but it was lacking a mobile way to reserve a vehicle. Oh sure, if you own an iPhone, you could use the app there, but since I like having control of the things I own, I of course use Android. Well, Zip Car heard the feedback of no mobile app on the Android platform, and have released a beta app for use with Google’s mobile OS.

1. Rob A
    January 28, 11:32 Reply

Will definitely pick this bad boy up on 2/24. Have HTC Incredible now so this is the next step of evolution.

• NM
      January 28, 11:44 Reply

Didn’t the Incredible get released in April 2010? Are you available for early upgrade which is how you can get this in February?

2. Mike
    January 28, 11:37 Reply

Been lusting after this phone since it appeared in leaked pics in August. But for the money, the lack of 4G in my area and lack of a dual-core (Tegra 2) processor, I really don’t know if I’ll be biting the bullet. By the time 4G gets to my area, Tegra 2 Android phones will be a dime a dozen. Might hold off. Or I might get my hands on one at launch and decide to do it anyway. Voice/data over existing 3G would be nice.

3. keon r
    January 28, 11:39 Reply

I’ve been waiting for this release date for the longest. Hopefully its a sure release date.

4. NM
    January 28, 11:43 Reply

Pro: It is htc, powerful and 4g capable
    Con: Uh….can’t think of any!

5. Ray
    January 28, 12:13 Reply

This seems about right, exactly 14 days after the release of the iPhone.

• Elliotte
      January 28, 12:28 Reply

I think that’s a big part of the release date, it’s outside of the new return date, so iphone users can’t trade it for a Thunderbolt.

6. Tara
    January 28, 12:17 Reply

Oh my gosh! This just made my day! Woo hoo! My upgrade is Feb 27th, but I will be in the stores for a hands on look the 24th!

7. Dave
    January 28, 12:30 Reply

I was hearing Feb. 14th for this.. maybe that will be the date for an online presale? I hope so! Anyword on pricing for 4g data plans yet?

8. wctaylor79
    January 28, 12:53 Reply

$249 used to be a good price point, but now with ATT&T offering Atrix at $149 this would not be enough of an upgrade to consider $249.. It is a great looking device, but it is last year tech with a little refresh. So to pay over just to say I have a 4G phone just ins’t worth it to me.. I will def be there to check it out, ad maybe they can offer me something to mkae it worth my while, but $249 is just to steep knowing that could be the price and no upgrade for 20 months…

• Dave
      January 28, 15:14 Reply

I think people tend to forget though this phone comes with a 32 gb micro sd card in it. That probably is what drives the price up to $249. On amazon they range from 55-85 bucks. So being the first ever Verizon phone with 4G if it didn’t have a 32 gb micro sd it probably would run $199 which is comparable to Sprint’s EVO right?

9. Suzanne
    January 30, 16:22 Reply

Am on my third Droid X- it of the crappy software- which is all but unusable now, so I’m hoping to nurse it along until the Thunderbolt’s debut. The 24th is my birthday, so having Verizon do something right for a change would be a great gift, but I’m all for EARLY presents!!

10. Jonathan
    January 30, 22:41 Reply

I really want this phone. Just hope that for current users, we get a discount. If I waited another 18 months, it would be outdated.

11. Southern Gal
    February 01, 13:03 Reply

Just an fyi … VZW’s “New Every Two” is going away. Once you take advantage of your current “N. E. T.” you will not receive another.

12. Droid Eager
    February 06, 22:47 Reply

Best Buy is taking pre-orders starting today, Feb 6, with a $50 deposit. No word on final price. The phone will be ready for in-store pick up on Feb 13. Just ordered mine….can’t wait! Don’t know about Verizon dates, but I’m guessing it can’t be any later than Best Buy.