Samsung TV Remote App in Android Market

We received word from Samsung this morning that they are offering a remote control application for their televisions.  We found it in the Android Market where it has already amassed more than  5,000 downloads so far.  Looks like someone has been quietly minding their own business for a week or two now.  Moving along, the free app lets users use a Samsung Galaxy S smart phone or Galaxy Tab as a TV remote control.  Connecting via WiFi, it works for a variety of 2010 models (LED C6500 series and higher, LCD C650 series and higher, Plasma C6500 series and higher) as well as some of this year’s models of smart TVs.  The remote also features an on-screen QWERTY keyboard and 4-way directional pad to make it easy to get around.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

Vopium Adds Android to its Portfolio of Applications

Vopium brings cheap, high quality calls to the G1 and HTC MagicTM Copenhagen and London, 18 May, 2009 – Vopium, the leading international mobile communications company, has today launched its

Full Motorola Devour Specs Surface

The full list of specs for the Droid Devour from Motorola have unearthed and they are remarkably unremarkable.  On paper, the next Android-based handset from Verizon looks much like the

Twitter adds muting options to mobile apps

Twitter has announced a new feature which allows you to mute people.  The update is coming to Android, iPhone, and twitter.com users over the course of this week.  The feature

1. ToBe_HH
    February 04, 09:54 Reply

It only works with Samsung Phones, not with other Android phones (e.g. my Motorola). That really sucks. Can’t wait till someone hacks this app for everyone…

• Rod
      February 04, 11:54 Reply

Nah, I have a Nexus S and this app even appear on Market from me. I tried to install it from Web Market but it says that my phone isn’t compatible.

• scotto
          February 04, 21:31 Reply

Yeah! Can’t believe it doesn’t work with the Nexus S. Seems like an oversight to me.

• Sandi
        August 21, 23:25 Reply

Works on my Xoom, but where is the keyboard?

• Sandi
        August 21, 23:25 Reply

Works on my Xoom, but where is the keyboard?

2. Gav
    February 04, 10:16 Reply

Yeah it sucks that it won’t let you download onto a non-sammy phone. Big boooooo for Samsung.

3. thecolor
    February 04, 12:19 Reply

We all know it’s compatible, common Samsung.

4. Haggie
    February 04, 12:44 Reply

What moron of a sales executive at Samsung came up with the bonehead idea of locking this app to Samsung devices?

I don’t have a Samsung smartphone, but I was looking at spending almost $2K on a Samsung television. Now, I will NOT buy a Samsung.

Suck it, Samsung. You just lost a customer.

• haggie2
      February 04, 14:26 Reply

um… so you are telling us here that you make the TV purchase decision on a phone app.

• mtnmatt3
        February 04, 20:01 Reply

Well, I don’t know if I’d use that as a basis for my decision either, but turns out it’s a good idea anyway… be careful when considering Samsung for anything… We’ve all seen how they had to be “persuaded” into upgrading the Vibrant to Froyo at the very least… but they wonderful customer service also made it to the TV department… if you’re TV dies, you better hope you have a new model otherwise they don’t want to help – search samsung television problems or samsung power supply problems… I wouldn’t recommend Samsung for anything these days, sorry Nexus S…

5. Myles
    February 06, 15:31 Reply

Mad marketing decision. Hardly anyone is going to select their smart phone based on their TV but this crippling of the TV functionality might move someone to another TV brand. All this on an open Android platform.

6. clear wireless internet
    February 07, 05:22 Reply

Samsung is a good company for the mobile and electronics.It launch many new products in the market.Now it launch the new T.V remote in the market with great functionality.It is a good brand for the electronic items.

7. Joe
    February 15, 12:08 Reply

Why is this locked to Samsung only phones – what’s the point of that.

I have an expensive Samsung TV, and a Sony phone. I’m not gonna change that. Infact – This puts me off buying Samsung ever again.

Release an unlocked version now. I don’t mind paying a few quid for it (3 tops), but do it now.

• thompson_97
      August 24, 13:57 Reply

Like every other vendor these days, Samsung wants to distinguish itself from its competitors and gain market advantage. Neither it, nor Motorola (before Google acquisition), nor HTC, nor Amazon (with Kindle Fire) feel any loyalty to the “Android Community” to keep things uniform and open. That is only an open sourcer’s dream, and the reality is that the big players are doing all they can to customize, discriminate, and lock out their competitors. Just in case you thought only Apple was this way, I give you the Kindle Fire as evidence. Amazon customized the bejeezus out of Android and built their own little walled garden for that thing. Samsung is also beginning to vertically integrate its devices, apps, content, stores, and services. It is going to accelerate in that direction. It is the nature of business.

This is distinct from the early PC era in that those vendors had very little room for distinction. Microsoft SOLD vendors the binaries and enforced conformity. All that the vendors could really do was compete on price, specs, or sales models (Dell pulled a coup with that surprise!). Google GIVES vendors the source code and allows complete freedom. Guess what is going to happen?

So all these pundits that are calling “Android vs iOS” just a repeat of “WIndows vs Mac” have another thing coming.When a consumer walks in to buy his or her first tablet and is choosing between a Kindle Fire and a Galaxy Tab, the last thing on their mind is the fact that somewhere underneath they share some common underpinnings called “Android”. Nothing that they touch seems common at all, and the choice is between distinct platform ecosystems. Not iOS and Android, mind you. Amazon and Samsung.

Thompson

8. PetBa
    February 20, 09:31 Reply

I was looking for the Samsung TV. But if this App does not work I will look for a LG TV, there is a free App in the market for HTC desire HD.

Peter

9. simon
    March 05, 17:51 Reply

Why only the samsung phones. how about making one for all android users

10. Mytemp68
    April 26, 10:39 Reply

I have the app “Samsung Remote” up and running since yesterday on my HTC Desire Android 2.2. It’s working fine and the keyboard can also be used for entering data into text fields. (Thanks to Samsung)

11. Mytemp68
    April 26, 10:39 Reply

• Mytemp68
      May 06, 15:02 Reply

Just search for “Samsung Remote” in the market and install it.

12. joyscott
    May 26, 09:54 Reply

Samsung is leading company of the electronic items. It provides amazing facilities and services to the customer. Samsung Remote App allows you to control Samsung TV and BD products easily when you have them connected to the same wireless router.
    Orlando Fl Golf Communities

13. joshep mcclain
    July 13, 09:09 Reply

Samsung announced that they have produce T.V remote  for Galaxy S. Samsung smart touch Android remote application now available in Android market it is really great news for all. This new remote has a WiFi facility.
    learn spanish free

14. Quincy Holl
    July 13, 09:24 Reply

Samsung announced that they have produce T.V remote  for Galaxy S.
    Samsung smart touch Android remote application now available in Android
    market it is really great news for all. This new remote has a WiFi
    facility.
    learn spanish free

15. Ryan
    August 03, 17:59 Reply

Did something change? I was able to download and install to my Motorola Atrix. Didn’t know until after downloading though that it doesn’t appear to work with my Samsung 7 series TV.

• Tim
      August 17, 23:28 Reply

How did you download it ? From Market ? Don’t see it there and I want to try it on my Atrix