Lookout’s ‘Plan B’ is for Those Who Never Bothered to Install Phone Location App
We’ve heard plenty of stories about how scary it is to lose our phones and what could happen should we not take precautions. For every success story of someone tracking their phones down because of software, there is another person who simply won’t take the time to arm themselves. So what happens when your phone is stolen and you never bothered to install Lookout Mobile Security or similar app? You go to Plan B.
Lookout’s Plan B is the app you turn to for stolen phones that don’t have tracking software or remote location capability. Simply put, it lets you add it after the phone is stolen. Using the ability to install apps remotely from the Android Market, Plan B starts working the second installation completes.
Here’s a step-by-step to walk you through the process.
- Install Plan B from the Android Market website to the phone that you are trying to find. (You must download it from the web version of the Android Market, not the app market on your phone.)
- As soon as it downloads, Plan B will send an email to your Google Gmail account telling you it’s locating your phone.
- Once Plan B has located your phone, check your Gmail again to find a link to a Google Map of where your phone is located. Plan B will send you a series of emails with refined location updates every few minutes.
- If your phone seems to be on the move, and you aren’t able to find your phone within ten minutes of downloading Plan B, you can text the word “locate” to your phone from a friend’s phone to start the locate process again.
- We recommend that after you’ve found your lost phone, to download full protection from Lookout Mobile Security!
We tried this yesterday with a couple of devices and found it to work flawlessly. Our email inbox lit up with notifications an GPS coordinates that were accurate to 2 meters away. As awesome as Plan B is, we can’t stress the importance of preemptive care. The last thing you need to do is worry about getting to the Android Market to install an app to hunt your phone down. The smart thing is to go with Plan A, which is Lookout Mobile Security.