Rupert Murdoch’s “The Daily” Coming to Android in Second Quarter

Rupert Murdoch’s (News Corp) Apple-only digital newspaper, The Daily, is set to land on Android tablets next quarter. This news comes as somewhat of a surprise considering Murdoch has been quoted as saying that “..last year, this year, and next year will belong to the iPad.” Perhaps things changed once the team who actually designed the newspaper caught wind of Android 3.0’s capabilities. We’d forgive them if they (wrongly) assumed that Android tablets would look and feel like large smart phones. With the free trial period of the Daily coming to an end later this week, we’ll find out what kind of stickiness the app has.

Are any of you Android users looking forward to The Daily on your tablet?

Via: TheNextWeb

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

Treasure Trove of Android 2.0 Screens and Features

We were expecting something like this any day now from Boy Genius Report.  They’ve been teasing us with pictures and video these last few days so we were just waiting

Sony Ericsson Refused to Build Nexus One

The CEO of Sony Ericisson, Burt Nordberg, is raising some eyebrows with a statement he made concerning the Nexus One recently to the Swedish publication Sydsvenskan. According to the folks

HTC EVO 4G (a.k.a. Supersonic) on Sprint

It’s here! The “Supersonic” that has been running through the rumor mill has officially been announced by Sprint as the HTC EVO 4G. It has everything they said it would

1. Nerd Uno
    February 23, 12:59 Reply

Oh boy! Another device with Faux News for a Fee.

• CH`
      February 23, 13:55 Reply

yeah!!!! more right wing nutjob news AND I get to pay for it. Count me in!!!

• ObotNot
      February 25, 11:44 Reply

Oh, yes — totally unlike the fair and unbiased reporting over at MSDNC [rolls eyes]

2. Kathie
    February 23, 13:54 Reply

Are you kidding?? I wouldn’t install that app if it PAID ME!

3. Gomez
    February 23, 16:02 Reply

what kind of a trial period is that! If the Xoom comes out Thursday.

4. led gu10
    February 23, 20:40 Reply

5. Will
    February 24, 09:28 Reply

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say it’s likely that Murdoch isn’t too pleased with Apple’s new 30% subscription take.

I’m happy it’s coming to Android for a couple of reasons, even if I don’t personally plan on using it.

For one, it’s one less thing the iPad has over Android. Which is always nice, and helps with the platform’s legitimacy in the eyes of the Android Uninitiated. I played around with it on my sister’s iPad, and it’s a very, very pretty application, indeed. And that brings me to the next point, that having such a well-designed magazine app on both platforms paves the way for similar applications that I’ll actually want to read. Plus, it’s always nice to see the bar on Android App Design being set because, let’s face it, til now the ecosystem has been rather lacking in that respect.

6. FredTexas
    July 09, 15:27 Reply

Tick-Tock, Mr. Murdoch… :) :)

Been looking for this publication to work on my Motorola Xoom Wifi. and am pretty sure we are into 3rd quarter already.  Hope the wait is almost over.