AndroidGuys Weekly RoundUp Feb 21-26
- We learned that 4 HTC Android phones (Desire, Desire Z, Desire HD, and Incredible S) will be getting some Gingerbread love in Q2
- Following along the HTC train, the Merge was finally announced, packing Froyo and CDMA bands
- HTC was all over the news last week, with the Nexus One getting official Gingerbread
- Moving on, the Moto Atrix 4G for AT&T went on sale for just $199, but not before being rooted
- Funnily enough, Sprint suspended the Froyo update for the Epic 4G
- We heard rumors about an 8.9-inch Samsung Honeycomb tablet
- The big story last week was the official launch of the Motorola Xoom, which didn’t get released without a few nice promo videos. This doesn’t change the fact that it doesn’t have Flash, but we’ll get into that another time.
- We got a glimpse at possibly the world’s thinnest Android smartphone, the NEC MEDIAS
- We got wind of a Sony dual-screen handset (because we need another Echo-type device)
- It was announced that the Samsung Galaxy S 4G for Tmobile will have carrier billing functionality for Sammy’s Media Hub. The Galaxy S 4G also went on sale last week.
That’s just about all we covered on the device spectrum. Now let’s get to apps and other miscellaneous news! First, USA Today released a Honeycomb-optimized app, the Android Market was available for download from the Android Market (yes, you read that right), the official Android Developers YouTube channel posted a beautiful visualization of Android activations around the world, and a MenuPages Android app was released. We learned that Minecraft will be coming to Android, along with Rupert Murdoch’s “The Daily”. In other news, Kaspersky released an Android security app, Rovio Mobile promised an ad-free version of Angry Birds within a month, and more details came to light on Amazon’s app store.
Enough of that. The big story (aside from the Xoom release) was the announcement and final release of the Honeycomb SDK. I’m sure it won’t take long for our talented developers in the Android community to throw together some Honeycomb goodies for us! Well, that’s just about all the news we have time for, so join me next week as I cover more news reported by our awesome AndroidGuys team!
You might also like
Thanks to the folks over at XDA Developers, who posted a link to the “soon to be released” Sony Xperia Play. In this dump you can find everything from ringtones
I love the smell of a leaked roadmap in the morning. The guys over at TmoNews have gotten their hands on what looks to be a T-Mobile roadmap for October and
Earlier this year at E3, Mad Catz had a lot of people interested in their new Android gaming console. Well, the time has finally come to get your hands on M.O.J.O.