Welcome To Android #1: How To Change Your Keyboard

Did you know that your Android powered smart phone has multiple keyboards? Well it does, and combined with the Android Market, there are dozens of different keyboards to download. Read or watch below to lean how to use this easy, yet very useful feature. Hope it helps!

How to enable downloaded keyboards

1. Go to settings
  2. Go to “Language and Keyboard”
  3. Scroll down
  4. Check off the newly downloaded keyboard

How to change your keyboard

1. Open a text field
  2. Long press
  3. Select “input method”
  4. Select your keyboard

Still need help? Watch the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3LTI-JBls&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Want to watch the whole series of tips in video format? Click here.

UPDATE: If you’d like to check out more how-to’s, head over to our newly added Android 101 series. There are tons of lessons that are super informative and could help you master your Android in no time!

Phil Esposito
Phil Esposito 170 posts

Phil Esposito is a 17 year old Android advocate. His reviews and articles have been showcased on multiple technology sites across the web. Besides written reviews, Phil specializes in video production and incorporates videos into his articles whenever he gets the chance.

The Great Equalizer

HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, the list is growing.  Manufacturers are opening their eyes to something you and I embraced long ago, Android is the NOW mobile platform.  I’m excited to

U.S. Cellular intros unlimited 4G LTE plan

For a limited time, you can can opt for the carrier’s 4G LTE plan for only $40 per month

List of HTC’s possible MWC devices leaks, we wipe the drool off our faces

The observant reader will notice that we’re getting a bit stoked for MWC this year, but we can hardly be credited as the only ones. Our friends over at HTC

1. Guest
    March 07, 21:18 Reply

When posting an article like this, it might be a good idea to say what version of Android we’re talking about. What you’ve said is not true for Android 1.6.

• appelflap
      March 08, 06:28 Reply

Afaik the exact same procedure is used in 1.6.

2. Android Fans
    May 25, 17:15 Reply

I just implemented this and it was as easy as 1-2-3. Thank you!

3. Dennis
    February 23, 19:22 Reply

how to change to only numbers keyboard, like on a regular phone – and not on a smart phone – can not find it anywhere.

4. doubi
    August 27, 23:34 Reply

people always down talking appreciate someone offering help for once thankyou helped my girlfriend get her text to speech back she was going to lose it at work without it

5. CharlottePhotography
    April 02, 15:07 Reply

I long press and “paste” comes out instead because I copied something before… how to get rid of this?

6. Laurie
    April 03, 23:11 Reply

Thankyou soooooo much. I was so aggravated by the other keyboard, don’t know why but every once in a while it just changes & I can’t stand it!!!! & I never know how to fix it!!!! Thanks****

• conkie
      April 19, 22:49 Reply

What was the answer to changing the keyboard to the number keyboard? I have a galaxy 4

7. iamJSRCA
    May 08, 03:10 Reply

how to removed stock keyboard and replace it with other keyboard and make it default?

8. MD
    June 12, 10:26 Reply

an update to this post steps to finding keyboard settings in the latest version of Android: settings > my device > language and input > keyboards and input methods

9. Nayan Panchal
    July 07, 11:10 Reply

Anyone know how to fix this back to normal my txt key input is screwed up it wont let me type like before

10. Emily
    August 10, 22:27 Reply

Holding space just gives me multiple spaces

11. “It’s exactly what you have alwasys intended to achieve. Every person, when they are young, recognizes just what their Individual Tale is. Then in their lives, every little thing is clear as well as everything is possible. They are not scared to dream, and to wish for everything they want to see happen to them in their lives. However, as time passes, a mysterious force starts to encourage them that it will certainly be impossible for them to understand th