Download This: Car Dashboard

Car Dashboard aims to be a step up from Google’s Car Home app, providing not only big-button shortcuts but speedometer and other relevant information.

The app launches automatically when you place your phone in a car dock, or can also be launched normally if you don’t have a dock. As you drive, it displays your current speed as well as providing speed alerts. You can customize at what speeds the alerts go off, and whether they are audible alerts or on-screen flashing alerts.

Other features include:

• Compass heading
  • Current location, altitude and temperature
  • Up to 20 customizable shortcuts, to apps, contacts, etc.
  • Customizable for U.S. or metric units

The speed alerts are the really great feature here. If you’re the kind of person that doesn’t mean to speed but sometimes loses track of just how fast you’re going, this app could save you from getting a speeding ticket.

Car Dashboard is available in the Android Market as a free, ad-supported app or without ads for $1.99.

[app]net.mandaria.cardashboardfree[/app]

[app]net.mandaria.cardashboardpro[/app]

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4625 posts

Featured

Amazon goes after Chromecast with new $39 Fire TV Stick

Amazon on Monday got the week started off by introducing a device which puts the Chromecast squarely in its sights. Called the Fire TV Stick, it’s a $39 unit that

More Galaxy Tab Drop Info (Best Buy / T-Mo Info)

More news has surfaced today about the upcoming Galaxy Tab Android tablet.  First up is the news dropped by tmonews.com concerning the T-Mobile release date and pricing for Samsung’s new

Firefox 29 beta allows to install web apps as native Android apps

Mozilla Firefox is one of the famous and most used browsers in the world, and just like Google Chrome, Firefox is also available on Android as well. One of the

1. Dale
    March 14, 15:12 Reply

Awwwwweeee YEEEEEEEAAAAA!

• mandlar
      March 14, 15:59 Reply

That’s awesome.

I plan on adding this feature into the application itself to automatically launch when connected to a Bluetooth device.

• Jamorford
        April 01, 22:10 Reply

While you are working on it, it would be great was to allow you to select which Bluetooth device will activate it so it will only activate on connecting to my car.

2. rcpoon
    March 14, 15:44 Reply

My car’s speedometer already provides my speed. What is the use case?

• Chuck Falzone
      March 14, 15:58 Reply

As I mentioned, the configurable speed alerts are what I thought was pretty cool. I have a crappy old car so it’s entirely possible, I suppose, that newer cars also provide speed alerts, but mine doesn’t.

• mandlar
      March 14, 15:58 Reply

Hey rcpoon, I’m the developer of the app.

Speedometer via GPS is slightly more accurate than your car’s speedometer (car speedometer’s are typically 2-3 mph faster than what you are actually going).

Additionally, the application has speed alerts. So for instance, when you exceed 35 mph, the speedometer will turn yellow, then at 39 mph it turns red, then at 42 mphs it return to white (to set you up for the 45 mph speed limit, which turns yellow after 45, and red after 49, etc. etc.). These alerts can cause the speedometer to change colors, the border around the app to change color or flash, or it can play an audible sound alert of your choosing. All speed alerts are entirely customizable, so you can set it up to your liking.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Anonymous
      March 14, 21:28 Reply

I have a 1955 Buick and the speedo hasn’t worked in 10 years, and Buick stopped making replacements when Kennedy was President, lol. There’s a GPS-speed “use case” for ya.

3. Firelight
    March 14, 18:12 Reply

I prefer Car Home (beta) by TheSpinningHead. It doesn’t have the speed alert but I prefer the app configuration, speedometer, compass and weather. The City Alert is kinda cool but gets old fast (muted mine). It auto-launches bluetooth, turns off WiFi and is a good alternative to Car Dashboard. Nothing wrong with CD – just not my cup of tea.

4. Anonymous
    March 14, 18:26 Reply

Hmm.. I like some of these concepts.. but I like how with “Car Dock Home v3″ app I have 12 app buttons on a page. Very hard to part with that. Feel that top part takes up too much real estate and there should be an option to have more buttons per page which would be smaller of course.. but with Droid X’s big screen these buttons are too big as is. I feel 6 buttons a page would be quite doable especially with Pro version without the ads.

• mandlar
      March 14, 18:30 Reply

Hey rumurphy,

Having at least 6 buttons on a screen has been a feature request I’ve heard multiple times. It’s on my list of things to look into after I finish up on some other requests I’ve received. It’ll probably be an option in the settings to switch from 4->6 buttons on a screen.