Be Ready for Opening Day with These 10 Baseball Apps for Android
Spring is (mostly) in the air which means baseball season is fast approaching. Being that Opening Day is but a few weeks off we though this would be the perfect time to get you hip to some great Android apps. We’ve put together 10 applications to make sure you’re ready to follow your favorite club this year as they gun for the pennant. Of course there are plenty of other apps in the market, but these are a great start. Hit the break to read them, in no particular order.
- MLB At Bat ’11 – Official Android application of Major League Baseball, it offers news, scores, pictures, video archives, schedules, and rosters. Set individual widgets to track your team right from the home screen of your device. $14.99
- NBC Sports Talk – Features news, rumors, and analysis through the HardBallTalk section. Cache news and more to read later, even if offline. FREE
- Scoreboard (Google) – Simple, straightforward delivery of live scores and results. Only a little customization allowed here, but it’s not a problem. Set your favorite teams and let the widget scroll through. Alerts can be configured to notify after each score, inning, end of game. FREE (Didn’t you see? It’s Google!)
- The Show ’11 – Features latest news, standings, schedule, and scoreboards. Handy desktop widget keeps users current with in-game progress. 99¢
- Evrithing Baseball – News, scores, pennant races, and more from a variety of sources. Set individual teams up and keep track of injuries and standings. FREE
- ScoreMobile for Android – Might be familiar to some of you as it’s available on BlackBerry, other platforms. Features scores, stats, news, and video for baseball and other sports. FREE
- Live Scores (Yahoo! Sportacular) – Live play-by-play, stats, standings, live score alerts and news. Customizable widgets keep your game progress close at hand. FREE
- MLB News – Keep up to date with news, stats, scores, standings, and fantasy games. Although it looks official, it’s not associated with MLB. A few tweaks away from convincing us otherwise. FREE
- ESPN iScore Baseball/Softball – Whether keeping track at the stadium, from home, or in the stands of a Little League game, users can record every aspect of the game. From hits, runs, and outs to stolen bases, ERA’s, and batting average . Get a leg up on the competition by checking out the individual pitch locations and batting spray. $9.99
- ESPN ScoreCenter – Covers not just baseball but most other professional and collegiate sports as well. Create a desktop widget to follow your favorite team(s) across various leagues. FREE
Did we miss something? We’d love to know what apps you are using to keep up with your favorite baseball team or the league in general. Leave a comment below with your app of choice so that other Android users can get the most out of their phones and tablets.