AT&T Statement: “T-Mobile Customers Will Have To Replace 3G Handsets After Merge”

This is getting a bit concerning, Yahoo Finance is reporting that AT&T has made a statement saying that T-Mo customers who have 3G handsets will need to have their devices replaced if the recently announced merger goes through.  The reason being that once the acquisition is finalized, AT&T plans on reconfiguring how the current T-Mo towers work, re-purposing them for 4G service in an effort to increase the speed of their network overall.

A quote from the article talking about the change of towers, and hinting at some plans:

AT&T said that some time after the closing, it plans to rearrange how T-Mobile’s cell towers work. The spectrum they use for third-generation services, or 3G, will be re-purposed for 4G, which is faster.

That would leave current T-Mobile phones without 3G. They would need to be replaced with phones that use AT&T’s 3G frequencies. Ralph de la Vega, AT&T’s head of wireless and consumer services, said this will happen as part of the normal phone upgrade process.

“There’s nothing for them to worry about … it will be done over time, in a way that’s good for customers and good for AT&T,” de la Vega said in an interview.

There is no word yet of course what de la Vega means when he makes the above statement, but I am not sure how comforting I find it. I may go down and start looking at what it would take to get me into a Thunderbolt after hearing this. What do you think?

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Samsung Vibrant Promo Video Hits The Web

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63JrrlD4PqE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube] The Samsung Vibrant now has it’s own version of the Samsung Galaxy S series promo videos, too.  That’s right, T-Mo is now able to get in on the fun themselves, with

500 Million Strong, and Growing

Just eight years after the inception of the first 3G/WCDMA from NTT DOCOMO of Japan, it has been confirmed by the UMTS Forum that 500 million users have been reached.

Amazon introduces Kindle Fire HDX, new Kindle Fire HD

Amazon today announced a pair of new tablet models for release later this fall in the form of the new Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX. The specs are

1. Chuck Falzone
    March 21, 16:20 Reply

Nothing to worry about, you’ll be fine with EDGE speeds for the next year or two til yr eligible for a new phone.

Curious about whether this will encompass Tmo’s current “4G” (i.e. HSPA+) phones as well– if the 4G AT&T is talking about building out in this spectrum is LTE, it just might.

• newspeak
      March 21, 16:42 Reply

why wouldn’t it …ATT plans to use the 1700mhz band for LTE …the “4g” phones on tmo are one the same bands because they are still 3g phones like the rest of the lineup

2. Chuck Falzone
    March 21, 16:20 Reply

3. Trev186
    March 21, 16:22 Reply

I will be changing providers. Sprint is getting the Atrix as well as a few other nice phones.

I was hoping for the S2 on Tmobile but maybe they will port it to Sprint eventually as well.

I hate ATT with a passion. I will not pay them any money

4. Anonymous
    March 21, 16:22 Reply

There’s nothing for AT&T to worry about … it will be done over time, in a way that’s good for AT&T regardless of the effect on customers.

There, fixed that for him.

• guest4
      March 22, 01:14 Reply

AT&T pissing off their customers is hardly good for them…

• Anonymous
        March 22, 06:15 Reply

If (when) this goes through there will be NO choice at all if you want a GSM phone in the US. One that actually works when you go overseas – with a little prodding and duct taping and sim-slinging, yes, but it can work, like my T-mobile phone worked on my Oz trip.

And frankly, I don’t think they care. They value the spectrum far more than the customers and figure they’ll get them back later or at least get them for ETF.

• guest4
      March 22, 01:14 Reply

AT&T pissing off their customers is hardly good for them…

5. ARM1107
    March 21, 16:29 Reply

Ughh… I HATE AT&T. Reports say that they are cheaper, which is total bullsh!t!! I will also be switching providers if this does happen!

• Gixer_1
      March 21, 16:54 Reply

I’m going to switch as well. I’m glad my contract is up this September.

• Anonymous
        March 21, 18:31 Reply

that is the worst idea. keep on tmo as long as they are still tmo, upgrade your contract, keep the written comments from tmo/att from yesterday where they said your contract won’t change once the merger is complete, if the merger does go through and att says you have to upgrade your phone, tell them to pay for it, reference why. at worst, you could be out the cost of an upgrade phone and switching to sprint/verizon. hell, they’ll probably run deals for us tmo people to switch over.

• Anonymous
          March 21, 19:27 Reply

AT&T is being more clever than you think. This 4G switch doesn’t force anyone to upgrade. You can still use your phone on the 2G bands. But AT&T knows no one with a smartphone is going to want to be stuck on 2G until the end of their contract term and will voluntarily upgrade prematurely, resulting in a new AT&T contract without grandfathered-in T-Mobile rates. This is a dick move and bad business practices. It’s not illegal, and not going against what T-Mobile and AT&T have said about allowing people to ride out their contract. What it is is horseshit. Pure, same-as-it-ever-was, AT&T horseshit.

• 4G_or_not_4G
            March 22, 16:34

bet they will figure out how to charge a 4G premium while only providing 2G service

• jettrue
            May 06, 04:19

Hmm, but can we be more clever and just buy unlocked ATT phones, and stick to our grandfathered plans? OR do you think 4G won’t be available on grandfathered plans, even if the phone supports it?

• Anonymous
          March 21, 19:27 Reply

• Vrocks
          March 22, 14:44 Reply

Re-read the article. They are NOT going to just turn off the network on day one. They will leave it running for 2 years. Once 50% of Los Angeles has had their contract expire in 1 year, AT&T will then offer them their new contract with a phone upgrade. Then switch 50% of LA’s towers to AT&T and leave the remaining ones for the remaining T-Mobile contracts…

They are a billion dollar company and you guys are paycheck to paycheck it seems. If they did what you are suggesting (again, re-read the article, will you?) then we could all sue them in a class action for way more than they’d want to spend. Not to mention corporate customers of T-Mobile.

So sit back… Enjoy your network until your contract runs out and then see what kind of incentive they dream up to keep you. Your paycheck to paycheck butt will be so grateful to have your new dual processor, OMLED screen, phone that runs a laptop that you will forget all about this.

• 4G_or_not_4G
            March 22, 16:41

These are the same clowns (Cingular) who bought out AT&T years ago. I had AT&T service when Cingular bought them out. My voice service with AT&T was great, until Cingular took charge. Then all of a sudden many dropped calls. Cingular said it was because I was on the old AT&T radios and not on their new modern radios. So I bought new phones for the family, and would you believe I had the same crappy service prior to buying the new phones. This is how I became a T-Mobile customer

• Eddie Landrum III
            April 12, 14:14

You cannot be serious. I dont care how advanced the phone is. If my rate plan damn near doubles and my data plan cuts me down to 2gig the phone is like a pretty car without gas. It just sits in the drive way.

• moose
            April 25, 20:22

I use to work for an AT&T call center before it got bought out by Cingular. I had non-stop calls about drop calls and all that good stuff. I was a T-Mo customer even while working there at AT&T. And everytime I get a call from an irate customer about their AT&T service, I think to myself, “Thank goodness I have T-Mobile” I myself never had to call T-Mo customer service for anything but to pay my bill or talk about phone upgrades.

If this merge goes through, I’m switching

• Anonymous
            August 03, 08:19

If they gave me the best phone for free and 10 years…they could not keep me. I absolutely HATE them, and I hate companies that do things that illegal. Monopolozing is illegal, period!

• Poptart
            August 21, 08:45

It’s not monopolizing as long as there are other companies. I.e. Sprint, Verizon, and any of the prepaid junk companies. And as for their customer loyalty, AT&T will most likely do for their new tmo customers as they did for me, which is keep all your data and text rates the way they were. Even though they dropped the unlimited data plans, I was able to keep mine because of my plan setup prior to the change. I used to have Verizon and they are Garbage because of hidden fees and other b.s. they tell you. My friend worked for them and his intel… Not good news!

• Anonymous
            August 22, 04:36

You know as well as I do that “if” AT&T gets T-Mobile, Sprint will go out of business because they will not be able to compete with Verizon and AT&T, which also leaves only 2 companies. There SHOULD be more for people to choose from. AT&T has ALWAYS added more charges to bills, and then “conveniently cannot explain them away. They did it with their land-lines, so why should their cellular lines be any different? Tax this, tax that, charge for this, charge for that. Of course, they will “honor” T-Mobiles contracts for a certain amount of time, and that is why T-Mobile is now able to offer unlimited service for $49.99, but mark my word, once that time is up…prices WILL skyrocket! AT&T is making claims about being a 4G company after 2 years of the “take over”, when truth has it, there is no true 4G NOW! There is nothing about AT&T that is “good news’. I hope the FCC sees that the people need choices, and blocks this “merger/purchase”.

• Captian America
      March 21, 18:29 Reply

What report says they’re cheaper? At&t is the most expensive service there is

• O2bsavage
        August 08, 05:41 Reply

Do your research. Verizon is even more expensive. Hopefully we’ll get grandfathered in with our old plans. Mines pretty sweet & I’d be pissed to loose it.

• Anonymous
          August 22, 04:39 Reply

The initial plan might be cheaper; however, do you have to pay for the apps that you download with Verizon as you do with AT&T? NO!

• Captian America
      March 21, 18:29 Reply

What report says they’re cheaper? At&t is the most expensive service there is

• O2bsavage
      August 08, 05:35 Reply

Verizon is even more expensive than AT&T. Already checked into it. AT&T better step up their game! I like my T mobile, hate to see ’em go!

• Becki2008_317
      October 14, 01:00 Reply

ive been with att for 4 years they really good i love em  they are really cheap and have great phones and a yearly upgrade witch gives you a few new smartphone =D i would suggest att to ne one

6. 3@ns@y 1nc3ntv@y
    March 21, 16:30 Reply

this is the same game Sprint PCS played when they shuffled all us Sprint Spectrum customers off GSM onto CDMA. they only let customers trade in phones AFTER a class action lawsuit and you had options of free refurb garbage phones or expensive new phones to choose from. I was so sick of Sprint PCS after a couple of years that I switched to VoiceStream.

7. Frank S. Pilone
    March 21, 16:48 Reply

Oh well, I guess I may have to rethink my potential purchase of a replacement phone that is 3 years old. On a non-contract, I really don’t want a $500 wifi phone in 18 months.

8. Bradjwill
    March 21, 16:55 Reply

You know when they tel you not to worry is the exact time you begin to worry. That goes for Government to big corporations alike.

9. Nexus 1 user
    March 21, 16:58 Reply

” in a way that’s good for customers and good for AT&T”

BS…This will only be good to AT&T with all the new (and sadly locked) handsets and new 2 year contracts they will be forcing on their T-Mo customers. The only “Good” for the customer will be a possible upgrade, of course they they lock you to their new AT&T contract /w up-charges for wifi hotspot, data caps and what I’ll only assume is a total lack of Nexus class devices so say goodbye to stock w/o root and custom roms.

AT&T is going to rook so many people into giving up their nice low cost T-Mo plans with no data caps by selling them low cost(read as: Subsidized) replacement phones /w 2 year contracts. This blows I hope this sale falls through, I’ve been T-Mo ever since it was available and I’ve never looked back to AT&T or Verizon(both of which screwed me over without so much as a wrap around).

10. Epicanis
    March 21, 16:58 Reply

“Good for AT&T”. Ugh.

If this weren’t AT&T we’re talking about, I might be inclined to give them some leeway (it makes SOME sense that the smaller network gets adjusted to match the bigger network’s frequencies), but I can’t shake the feeling that this is just for AT&T’s convenience and to hell (or Sprint) with T-Mobile customers if this deal goes through.

Perhaps time to look into some of the “pay as you go” cellphone providers.

• Mikewong27
      March 21, 17:59 Reply

Verizon is too expensive… Glad that I stayed with AT&T. Now with merger of Tmobile and AT&T, coverage for both 3G and 4G will be even better.

• Rikk1105
        March 21, 19:12 Reply

Verizon and Att has the same prices. Only difference is that Verizon has unlimited data and way better serivice!!

• greg
          March 29, 20:08 Reply

but t mobile has better plans than verizon and att and sprint

• greg
            March 29, 20:10

at.t is the worst plan of all i hope this isnt happening.

• Loyal T-mobile Customer
            June 08, 20:29

I totally agree with you I hope this is not happenenig. I had Verizon and hated them and ever since I have been with T-mobile it has been wonderful. I NEVER have to call them for anything excpet to pay my bill or talk about an upgrade or if there is something wrong with my phone. Their customer servicre is phenonmenal and they have awesome plans. I have a Blackberry and I have unlimited data At&t does not and I refuse to have to pay for it. I hope T-mobile decides this will not be a good  idea because I will be switching if this does happen. It is ridiculous. At&t plans are horrible and so is their customer service. I love T-mobile. I hope they stick around. In my opinion, T-mobile should buy out T-mobile. Verizon’s customer service was was horrible and they have outrageous plans. My bill was doubled with Verizon and I had a terrible plan. At&t is going to be the same way.

• Bella
            April 03, 12:34

I agree! That’s why we’ve been with T-Mobile since they were Voicestream, back in 1999, because their rate plans are way cheaper than all the other companies. Ugh, I hope At&t dont raise the prices, and if they do, I hope they let us out of our contract. But then again, people who have At&t U-verse will qualify for discounts on their cell phones if they bundle their services, which might help a tad.

• CJ Chitwood
          August 20, 18:28 Reply

Not here.  Here, I have T-Mo and my coworker has Verizon.  We both have similar plans, similar cost, but his is capped — Verizon won’t let him use his data plan to download any apps from Android Market.  Says he has to use WiFi for that.  So I activate my T-Mobile WiFi tether and he gets apps that way.  Plus the coverage areas are very similar here in Jacksonville, at least where he and I go every day.  I do think I’ll strongly consider a CDMA phone service provider when we start seeing AT&T strongarm us into different phones (I need a new one anyway but that’s not the point).  I’m even looking at the no-contract services like Boost and MetroPCS.  Give the little guys some business, that’s how T-Mo got so big in the first place from what I understand.

My wife’s SIM card says “VoiceStream” on it.  Anyone remember those days?

• Vfw10
      July 06, 18:45 Reply

I’m with you,  been with tmo since it became tmo an have NEVER had a problem.  In fact they GAVE me 200 minutes for a month while tied up in a hurricane and I was about to exceed my monthly minutes because I was a loyal customer. (100 minutes to my family plan 2 phones) rather thn paying $0.40 per minute.  My &49.00 family plan with 500 minutes for 2 phones will go up and Verizon here I come
      a

I

11. Lvgsxr2
    March 21, 17:14 Reply

I think it’s ridiculous that under contract the original MyTouch 3g phone is slow as molasses with T-mobile operating systems updates that went out in (Dec-Feb). Eventually they are going to make it all 4g and force you to upgrade. The customer should really be compensated for this. Or allow the customer to cancel the contract with no fees!

12. David R
    March 21, 17:15 Reply

I left AT&T because their service got so bad. I went to T-mobile because of their exceptional customer service. I currently have 4 phones on 3G and one on 4G. I just got them all and it cost me quite a bit, I have 2 years before I am supposed to update. So is my service going to lag – where I live T-mobile just put in the 3G service, AT&T service was lousy in this area. To me, this merger sucks – T-mobile is the better company. I am going to write my congressperson and see how this can be blocked.

13. Paul H
    March 21, 17:23 Reply

It’ll probably go down the same way it did when Cingular bought AT&T Wireless a while back. I was an AT&T Wireless customer. Although they didn’t use different frequencies, Cingular gave me my phone upgrade a year early in order to get me switched onto a Cingular phone on a Cingular plan. My guess is that AT&T will allow T-Mobile customers to take their upgrade early, before (or after if you feel like going only EDGE for a while) the frequencies are switched.

14. Oz
    March 21, 17:27 Reply

This whole merger news is getting worse and worse as the days go by. I’ve been accused of changing out my phones as much as I do my underwear, but right now I’m in love with my G2! And furthermore I just paid a grip for mine and my wife’s !

I just hope that this is all just a nightmare that I will soon wake up from =(

• Vrocks
      March 22, 14:52 Reply

Think about this, how long did you have your last phone for? Was it kick butt like your G2 when you got it? Do you really think you’d stay happy with a G2 once everyone else is running dual core processors and their phones run laptops?

I had a G1 for about one and a half years. It was stolen and I bought a Cliq as a replacement. I was blown away at how much faster my “crappy” Cliq was then my old dinosaur. I thanked the guy that stole my G1!

Then I bought a G2. Again… Amazing!

But I know that in two years time I WILL want another phone. AT&T is going to want to keep us and they are going to offer incentives to do so. Wait. See what deal they have and if it doesn’t float your boat, move on to someone else.

I am just hoping that Metro PCS becomes the new T-Mobile by then so if I do want to switch, I’ll have a better option then Verizon and Sprint – two more carriers I don’t care to join at this time.

I was around when T-Mobile started. It was a bumpy ride for the first 2 years! I look at Metro PCS and they Sooooo remind me of T-Mobile in the beginning.

For now I am going to go get more work done. Writing content here doesn’t pay my bills. You’re welcome, Android Guys!

• Dathom74
        March 22, 20:33 Reply

Sprint may be looking to purchase Metro PCS soon.

15. Dreamcasting
    March 21, 17:31 Reply

This is a great way for at&t to eliminate those pesky 3G/4G Anrdoid phones that allow sideloading of apps, while charging more money to those who want to keep the same/equivalent Android device.

Evil. at&t is evil.

• JKabat
      March 21, 18:31 Reply

My two most used apps won’t be able to be installed (spotify and swype) without some work on the phone. Not to mention my 3g being shut off. They better come out with some sweet phones, let me upgrade with the full discount, and keep my plan or I’m off to Big Red.

• annon
        March 25, 19:02 Reply

Fuck that dude. Take it from someone that has worked for Verizon, they treat their customers just as shitty as att. I would go with the lesser of the evils and switch to sprint.

16. Airprt
    March 21, 17:33 Reply

I switched from ATT to Tmo because ATT has some horrible customer service reps. I not saying all of them are bad, just the few that made my life a living hell while I was trying to get more information on plans and such.

I’m currently on the Even More Plus plan which is the cheapest in the industry. I’m expecting ATT to jack up these rates once the merger goes through.

Sigh.

17. Airprt
    March 21, 17:33 Reply

Sigh.

18. Airprt
    March 21, 17:33 Reply

Sigh.

19. Airprt
    March 21, 17:33 Reply

Sigh.

• Mikewong27
      March 21, 17:57 Reply

I never had issues with AT&T customer service. In fact, I think they are great help. I’ve been with At&T/Cingular since 1997. Not once I had problem with them. I thought about switching to Tmobile last summer, but glad that I didn’t.

20. Sinlove
    March 21, 17:46 Reply

i dont like this at all F…. AT&T for Doing This To Us

21. zachk
    March 21, 17:47 Reply

So pissed….I freaking love my TMo. My contract runs out in January. Do they seriously think I’m gonna renew when my phone would have less than 2 years of usable 3G life? Verizon here I come!

22. Theduke282
    March 21, 17:58 Reply

If that’s the case then the FCC just got another bullet in their gun to shoot this deal down. Hardly a perk for consumers to be forced to buy a new phone because of the merger. I don’t want to give up my Nexus One for ATT. Good thing I’m on a month-to-month contract.

23. Raymond Egan
    March 21, 18:21 Reply

The press release on http://www.t-mobile.com stated that both companies will continue to run as seperate entities. If there is a need to upgrade, sounds like it will be done as your contract is up for upgrades. The deal itself won’t even be done for almost an year. I’m not too excited about this either, they won’t even share the friggen IPhones, but it does sound like all current contracts will be honored.

24. Raymond Egan
    March 21, 18:21 Reply

25. Jon
    March 21, 18:21 Reply

Anything having to do with AT&T is bad news. This really doesn’t surprise me its just a way for them to make all tmobile customers sign two year contracts……… or more like selling your soul.

26. Jon
    March 21, 18:21 Reply

27. JKabat
    March 21, 18:27 Reply

Well, that makes me real happy I just upgraded my wife to a Nexus S with a new 2 year agreement last week. AHHHHHHHHH! Sprint doesn’t have coverage where I live! This is a fucking nightmare.

28. JKabat
    March 21, 18:32 Reply

ATT is just as expensive as Verizon

• Anonymous
      March 21, 19:14 Reply

Actually more – my five line unlimited is $375 with Tmo (including tax); $425 with Verizon (before tax) and $500 with AT&T (before tax). What a rip off – they will want around $150 more per month with taxes – or I can stick with my current G2s that will no longer be 4G because AT&T will reallocate the spectrum. Way to look out for your (former) customers Tmobile!

29. Badreligion05
    March 21, 18:56 Reply

SCREW AT&T THEY WILL LOSE TONS ON THE FORMER T-MOBILE CUSTOMERS

30. Badreligion05
    March 21, 18:56 Reply

SCREW AT&T THEY WILL LOSE TONS ON THE FORMER T-MOBILE CUSTOMERS

31. OldPro
    March 21, 20:19 Reply

Corrent me if I’m wrong, but when they list one of the benefits of the merger as higher ARPU doesn’t that give a clue as to what they intend to do with prices?

32. Jroze143
    March 21, 20:34 Reply

I will be switching back to crappy customer service Verizon if this switch is finalized, I loved T-Mobile and I am not looking forward to AT&T grrrr! They make you pay for a dataplan if you have any kind of smart phone…BLAH!

33. Castle65
    March 21, 21:00 Reply

Already a done deal for me. AT$T takes down T-Mo, I take my business to Sprint. Simple!

• Anonymous
      March 21, 21:06 Reply

Until – “AT&T has a greed a merger with Sprint..”

• Anonymous
      March 22, 02:29 Reply

that cause we just been butt fuck by att without any lube.

34. Android Focus
    March 22, 00:59 Reply

Seriously, the statement that AT&T should make is that the change will be made in a way to benefit customers, regardless of what it might cost AT&T.. Of course AT&T isn’t known for their customer service

35. SpecialK47150
    March 22, 01:26 Reply

AT&T is terrible already. If the merger goes through, I’m dropping them, not paying any damn fees, and headed to Verizon or Sprint.

36. tehk
    March 22, 02:19 Reply

This basically fucks all the Nexus One owners on T-Mobile. Their phones will become useless once the 3G TMo towers go away…. and I was planning on sticking with my unlimited everything plan for life. Fucking bastards!

Google save us and start selling Nexus 3’s when AT&T takes over, PLEASE!

37. 4G_or_not_4G
    March 22, 02:32 Reply

For you folks who thought this is a bad thing, hold onto your seats, because it is even worst. After this deal, AT&T and Verizon will have 4 out of every 5 handsets in America. This puts these two giant companies in charge. This will allow them to better dictate and control what type of apps you are allowed to get on your phone, so they can take a cut on everything you do. As much as I hate Apple, with the advent of the app store and now the Google Market it gives customers such freedom and flexibility to use their phone as they see fit. However AT&T has been notorious for controlling what their customers can do. The only reason they have loosened their grip is because the other carriers did, now with AT&T in control, they can tighten their grip knowing the only other place for you to go will be Verizon, who will probably start doing the same thing…THIS IS A VERY BAD THING…need Google to buy out Sprint!

38. Anonymous
    March 22, 05:48 Reply

I think I know what he means when he says that… ‘Bwah, we gonna cornhole you sooooo hard. But we can say it’s good for customers because we’ve bought off the relevant members of the Justice Dept and the FCC and they’ll back us on that’.

39. Mobile Development
    March 22, 13:37 Reply

I think the deal is very good for T-mobile users. AT&T is the largest carrier and have a new good mobile network across United States. The deal will definitely help improve a lot of things at T-Mobile.

40. Kahn
    March 22, 23:21 Reply

the service contract one makes is with T- mobile so when T-moblie no longer exist the service contract is nullified, AT&T will have to draw up for all T-mobile customers a service contract under AT&T rules and regulations, in other words all T-mobile customers will become free agents when this deal goes through.

41. Telekinetic
    March 23, 03:52 Reply

RIP T-mobile.

F*ck you AT&T.

Sprint or Verizon…I’ll be there shortly.

42. Bunta
    March 23, 16:40 Reply

Is this really news? who the f*** doesn’t want to upgrade their phone in 2yrs?

43. Mokeymo2000
    March 24, 03:18 Reply

This buy out is horrible!! My grandmother had AT&T and had to stay with her contract even though there wasn’t a tower close to her house and she couldnt get services, she paid for something that wasnt even usable, and their customer services did absolutely nothing, all AT&T did was take her money. I have a droid right now, they better give me something as good as what I have, or better. I refuse to buy a new phone, there is nothing wrong with mine

44. Chicab1999
    March 25, 04:33 Reply

I think it stinks. Not being in a contract, I purchased the Samsung Vibrant in August for retail, $500.

45. Gwenshawscott
    March 25, 14:30 Reply

Would all t-mobile customers have to switch from whatever phone they currently have.

46. Juanromo98
    March 26, 12:28 Reply

They better offer a better plan and better phone upgrades I just recently got the g2x and was not looking to trade any day my phone so I got to figure out a way to keep it f… this sh.. att is all about there hidden fees and there overcharges they never care about the customer all they want is there money that’s why t-mobile got highest rank in their customer service att you suck……..!!!!!!!!

47. 123
    April 04, 22:09 Reply

I left ATT to go to Tmobile. ATT sucks!! Verizon here I come!!

48. Ghost_effect
    April 06, 22:10 Reply

I think the real problem here is that the public has been spoiled rotten by the advances in technology through the wireless companies.
    People simply dont understand that a phone in fact can cost more then laptops do now, and they still think that just because “They are a valued customer” that the company is going to throw a phone at them because they will “switch” or throw a hissy fit.
    In case you havn’t noticed, smartphones are getting more popular everyday and the costs to make these more powerful products are very real. Of course if AT&T buys out T-mobile I would expect as a consumer to need a different device. Quite simply, its a different company at that point that uses similiar but different technology.
    Should T-mobile cancel their customer’s contracts with no fee’s? IMO hell no, why would a company do that when they have already given their customers a discount in the first place.
    Again, in the wireless industry all we hear is “I’ve been with your company forever” and that makes people feel its ok to ask for a $800.00 phone for free.
    I’ve been buying gas for year’s from the same company, but I have never once been given a free tank of gas or a free car. How is this much different? Because of a 2-year contract? People should stop being stupid and read what they are signing when agreeing to commitments. (for those that argue, please… http://www.dictionary.com on commitment.
    Why is it I see 7 year old’s with I-phones? Because times change and so do the companies policies, network technologies, and plans.. It’s how the wireless industry has worked since the beginning.

I think people should simply pay what they use. Charge the asshole’s that use so much data that the companies are forced to remove unlimited data plans. It is indeed because of them and the rising usage that forced these companies to do it. They have to be strategic and change with the needs of their customers.

Let’s say, for example they brought back unlimited data. I say charge double for it, and have half that portion go directly to the network to improve coverage moreso and speeds.

I’d rather pay double then what I pay now, to have great service and data speeds on my phone.
    Then complain like everyone else, and have my company cut down on costs (network, phones, employee’s, what else?) to get a cheaper plan but shitty service.

Can’t wait to see if the networks join personally, 5 years of cell phone towers added will make a much more powerful unified network.

P.S Please don’t rip on the comment just for the sake of defending costs.
    I understand that everyone has a limit on how much they can spend monthly, but we (consumers) made the phones a necessity.

If your gonna point a finger, please stand in front of a mirror.

– Ghost.
    (any opinions given are that of my own)

49. Linda_Shorty
    April 08, 15:19 Reply

Metro PCS here I come!! Now that there is a lot of pissed T-Mobile customers, Metro PCS will most likely get a boost and there rate plans are pretty cheap and they are becoming wide spread. I could also try Simple Mobile, since I can use my HTC Google Nexus One, there prices are cheap too, my mother have them and they have pretty good service too (New Jersey).

50. arleenie
    April 12, 17:49 Reply

Here’s the biggest joke of the whole thing. Why is T-mobile still the ‘doggiing att commercials?

51. Hartofsteel13
    April 13, 03:59 Reply

This suck big time. sorry at&t i am just not a fan. I have the garminfone and it is the best phone i have had, but now some clown decides that the 3G has to go.. I hope that the CEO at the top of at&t was raised right and do the right thing for T-Mobile customers. lol that will not happen. sorry to say but i would pay to get out of my contract. At&t would most likely do a upgrade to a phone that is out now, also may let buy one too, but as it goes that phone you buy has to have a bigger date plane. But got to save the best for last. The free phone that you get had been violated by some others fingers, o yes it is a refurbished phone. I say good luck to At&t and hope that the find a way to win T-mobile customers over or they will see a lot of lost contracts.

52. Anthony Rhodes
    April 14, 04:39 Reply

verizon here i come, if im gonna pay all this money im might as well get good service as well smh

53. LaNyese
    April 15, 06:06 Reply

I think it’s bullshit! I absolutely HATE AT&T!!! They are the worst carrier around for cellphones. Acquiring T-Mobile isn’t going to change that. It’s only going to make things worst for T-Mobile customers. I’ve had AT&T before T-Mobile and they were horrible! I switched to get away from them!

54. Ladylalique_1
    April 22, 04:20 Reply

This is bull I just paid 400+ for my phone and I have to replace myself!!!!!?

55. ruth
    April 29, 03:02 Reply

t-mobile sucks too, so one is as bad as the other ….

56. David2
    April 29, 03:13 Reply

Why doesn’t AT&T use the same 3G frequency as the rest of the GSM world?

57. Javon Jones13
    May 05, 11:14 Reply

I HATE AT&T IT’S URKING MY NERVES! so if I have the sidekick 4g can I still use it once it’s tranfered and all that bullshit is done with? (someone answer please)

58. guest
    May 09, 01:39 Reply

I pay $30/mo including tax at Tmobile for 1500 minutes, texting, and 30 mb of data. AT&T will nix that as quickly as possible!

59. amag78
    May 25, 17:52 Reply

i have ATT and i love it,i had Sprint for 2 years and went to Verizon, ended contract after 1st year.best move i had ever made.
      I do think customer should be allowed to cancel contract with no fees.

60. George999
    May 28, 19:17 Reply

Phuc AT&T and their corporate swill. The T-Mobile users lose, the phone industry losses because competition will be less. I love this line “Ralph de la Vega, AT&T’s head of wireless and consumer services,
    said this will happen as part of the normal phone upgrade process.” What a rotten liar. This is only to line their pockets. If this merger goes through, it just proves how idiotic or corrupt the powers that be really are.

61. Yellowrose908
    June 10, 13:55 Reply

As a loyal T-Mobile customer for more than 8 years….It saddens me to hear about this merger going through.  I have an extreme dislike for AT&T customer service and their phone service.  If this merger does go through, I will be forced to change my cell phone carrier, because I will NOT deal with AT&T for my phone service.

62. blondiebabe
    June 13, 19:05 Reply

I have had at&t for about 5 years on my parents line and then went the other day to try and get a phone from them by myself. they wanted 750 dollars per line just as the deposit. i went to tmobile and had nothing. however now i am stuck in a contract with tmobile and i hate it. it is the worst service i have ever gotten. almost every call i have is dropped and i dont get any reception inside any buildings. i will be glad when they merge. but as far as upgrading i could care less. i dont want a phone with internet at all thats why i have a computer. but they are making all of these phones today to where you have to have internet for them to run. which isnt just 1 carrier it is all of them.

63. rj77
    June 23, 04:54 Reply

AT&T SUCKS MAJORLY!!!! I HAD AT&T AND WAS NOT SATIFIED AT ALL. THE CELL SERVICE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE WERE HORRIBLE. THEIR PHONE PLANS WERE TOO HIGH AND THEY CHARGED FOR EVERYTHING.  I AM A TMOBILE CUSTOMER AND HAVE BEEN FOR A YEAR AND THEIR SERVICE IS WAY BETTER BUT IF THE MERGER GOES THROUGH, I WILL MOST DEFINITELY BE SWITCHING CELL PHONE CARRIERS BECAUSE  IT IS TERRIBLE THAT AS A  TMOBILE CUSTOMER I  HAVE  TO SPEND EXTRA MONEY TO BUY A NEW PHONE IN ORDER FOR MY SERVICE TO WORK ON THE AT&T NETWORK. I AGREE THAT CUSTOMERS SHOULD BE COMPENSATED FOR THE HASSLE OF UPGRADING.

64. Mario Hodge
    July 16, 16:43 Reply

I love AT&T they are a really good company. They have helped me out with my bill and getting new phones. I am glad they are merging with Tmobile. Tmobile only work in big cities not small towns. AT&T always get the newest phones and products. If people don’t like then take your ass to Sprint where the service is bad or Verizon where you get fake 3G service. AT&T The best

65. StevemM
    July 25, 15:17 Reply

Couple months ago I went to ATT and upgrade my phone.  They were highly praising about 4g.  I told them if I hear one more word about 4g im walking out.  The dude looked at me funny and I explained I live about 20 miles from here.  Once I pass a certain area I drop from 4G to EDGE.  If ya’ll can upgrade EVERYTHING to 3G then and only then will you “impress” me with 4G.

66. JohnMAC
    July 26, 21:40 Reply

i’ve been a TMobile customer for 10 years, once this is final with AT&T I’m going to switch to two tin cans with a string which is far better than AT&T service. Kiss my Ass AT&T!!!!

• Childoftheaftermath
      August 18, 19:51 Reply

I love TMo and I hope this merger gets STOMPED. IF At&t gets TMO I am switching to sprint. Because verizon sucks @$$ too

• Tmosucks
        September 18, 23:35 Reply

Wow you guys are CRAZY! TMO service seriously is prolly the worst i’ve ever had. Even cricket is better. Verizon is Boss and at&t isn’t half bad either compared.

• Yancy
          October 15, 15:34 Reply

It is still under approval dipshit!

• Logan Carbin
      August 22, 07:10 Reply

If you’ve been with Tmo for 10 years… how do you know what AT&T’s service is like? Tmo has trash service compared to AT&T, quit buying in to all the doubcasting being done by it’s competitors.

67. Anonymous
    August 03, 08:15 Reply

I HATE AT&T and think the Government should have said NO to this …..period! they are a monopoly anyway you look at it and monopolies are illegal. The FCC needs to look at the fact that Sprint will be more than likely be going out of business soon, and the only competion is Verizon. At least we had two good, sound choices. Now the FCC FORCES us to have one…Verizon, yet their rates are TOO high. I am just getting a month to month plan, when they switch. I hated AT&T as a long distance company in my home for adding charges they could never explain and I told myself then I would never use them. I could care less about their iPhones. You have to pay for all their apps, and it’s just not worth it anymore. I wish enough customers would say “NO”!!!!!!!

68. Rob
    August 12, 12:59 Reply

I am glad the merger is taking place. I’m an AT&T customer and rarely get dropped calls. When the merger goes through with T-Mobile, AT&T will have an even faster 4G network.

I HATE Verizon wireless. I tried them out for 9 days after my contract was up with AT&T and their reception sucks. I would get dropped calls all the time and I was in different towns. They also tried to charge me 3 months worth of service for only using them 9 days. What a rip off. I have since ported my number back to AT&T and will never change again.

I don’t know what everyone is talking about that AT&T is no good. I have been with them since 2002 and have never had a billing or service issue. They have great customer service and reception.    GO AT&T!!!!

69. Anonymous
    August 22, 04:47 Reply

I am with T-Mobile, and from what I understand, since I hate this as well, is that they must honor the same contract, and if not they have to let you out. Now if someone signs a new one, then yes, they are going to be stuck with AT&T, sadly.

70. Anonymous
    August 22, 04:50 Reply

I hate this as well; however, do some research on the internet because A LOT is going to have to be done because there is NOT truly 4g available right now. AT&T is really going their work cut out for them. Yes, the phones state 4g, but that is because they are 4g ready. Look it up , and you will see. Being charged for something that the phone companies cannot even “truly” provide yet.

71. TmoUser
    October 17, 09:08 Reply

The sickness is already starting.  I am a pay as you go T-mobile customer and have been using the $1.49 Web 24-hour daypass as my main usage of my account.  Suddenly, it just stopped working.  I called customer support just now (very early 10/17/2011) and was told that they had ELIMINATED the daypass feature on 10/16/2011.  So now what remains of the $100 credit I purchased recently can only be used for phone calls unless I switch plans.

The closest plan to which I could switch gives you $2/day for one day of unlimited phone calls (in U.S.), unlimited 2G (not 3G) data, and unlimited text, but not only is this 51 cents more than the daypass, but it is triggered if I receive or make even a SINGLE one minute phone call (which on my old plan would cost 10 cents), and it is for a 24 hour period from midnight to midnight, NOT 24 hours from the time of purchase, as was the case for the Daypass.  They even say that if I start a call at 11:59pm and it goes to 12:01am I can be charged to two days.  So this would be vastly more expensive for me given my present usage pattern.  When I complained, they would not even offer me a refund of the remaining credit in my account.

So now I have committed to a phone number, given it out to friends and business associates, bought and installed a SIM card, put money into the account, and after all that, this critical feature has just been taken away without even a notice, so far as I can tell by searching my email.  Even the technical support rep I first spoke to was not aware at first that this feature had been eliminated.  And the FAQ when I log in to my plans page still reads that for Pay As You Go, “For mobile web access, purchase a $1.49 Web DayPass for unlimited 24-hour mobile web access on the days you need it.” although the customer rep told me that this will be revised soon.

I’m upset and consider that I’ve not been fairly treated.  The excuse given by the rep is that the Web daypass was not part of any plan, but was a feature that could be added to any plan.  Perhaps so, but it was only the pay as you go plan user who would have found this to be a valuable feature.  I will be looking for other service soon.

72. Josephrizam
    October 19, 18:18 Reply

I am a t-mobile customer because at and t charge Wats shouldn’t be charged for . They randomly charge . T-mobile Has a great unlimited data and they don’t even charge a lot. Is this merger goes I am switching to Sprint