Amazon Appstore Launches, Features “Test Driving” and Angry Birds Rio

Amazon has just launched their Android application store, dubbing it the “Amazon Appstore.” While some may argue that there is no need for another Android app store, the online shopping website’s app store packs some special features that may have you using their market on your phone for good. The site features the ability to “Test Drive” an application straight from your browser on your computer. Using only your mouse and keyboard, you can determine whether or not the app you are currently viewing is worth purchasing.

One app that will surely grab your attention is Angry Birds Rio, which is currently available exclusively on the Amazon Appstore for… drumroll please… FREE! The new member of the Angry Birds series of games in now available for no charge on the just-launched Amazon Appstore, so hit up the link below to get your copy. But hurry, as the offer is only for a limited time.  Looks like Amazon may have a gem with this store.

Angry Birds Rio

Source: TechCrunch

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4625 posts

App Reviews

eReatah tackles reading with subscription service

Looking for a new alternative to reading books on your Android smartphone or tablet? Consider eReatah, an upstart service which employs a subscription method as opposed to buying individual books.

Barnes & Noble announces $199 Nook Tablet, $169 Nook Color

B&N shave 8GB storage off the Android-powered tablet and tap it with a $200 price tag.

Sony C670X Leaked with 4.8″ display and Snapdragon 600

According to XperiaBlog, they have received leaked information about a new Sony Xperia device. The Sony C670X is looking to be a slightly altered version of the Sony Xperia Z (C660X) we

1. Ivo Olivieri
    March 22, 18:24 Reply

the amazon appstore has a much better overview and better orderd so i guess yes they have a gem with and we too

2. Robert
    March 22, 18:33 Reply

Oddly, you have to be logged into the Amazon App Store in order to actually run Angry Birds Rio. If you download the app and then disassociate the device from your Amazon account, you can no longer play the game. That seems a bit…extreme. I’m curious if this behavior is somehow injected into every app downloaded from their app store or just coded into ABR? I haven’t investigated further yet.

• Andy
      March 22, 19:55 Reply

Amazon’s website says “Deregister it only when another person is taking ownership of your device”. So they seem to be associating the app with the user not the hardware. I assume that means you can re-download purchased apps to a new phone for free?

How does the Google App store handle this? If I remove my gmail ID does the phone keep the downloaded apps?

• Andy
      March 22, 19:55 Reply

3. Robert
    March 22, 18:33 Reply

4. Robert
    March 22, 18:33 Reply

• Andy
        March 22, 19:45 Reply

Anyone know the plan here? The issue is AT&T locking down the “Unknown Sources” install (I assume), so can they bypass that for just Amazon and keep everything else blocked?

• Zarin Newman
          March 22, 21:20 Reply

They might try to push an update, easiest thing to do is to root your phone with super one click,really easy to do and let’s you use hardware the way you want to.

AT&T, Samsung Captivate

5. dstar
    March 22, 21:06 Reply

Appstore not available in my location??? Ahhh what?

6. Anonymous
    March 22, 22:31 Reply

What a piece of crap. It doesn’t work outside the United States. And this is a *free* app! What a ripoff… Back to the real Market. At least there I can use “Market Access” and “Market Enabler”…

7. softwaredevelopment
    March 23, 08:08 Reply

I like both parties ever since I am a great fan of them. But really do I have to choose between these two?

8. Glen 'Glenda' Young
    March 23, 08:29 Reply

is this available in the UK at all? i have searched on the Android market for the Amazon appstore and no luck…