FCC Offical – “There is no way deal gets rubber stamped” in regards to AT&T/T-Mo Acquisition

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that an un-named FCC official commented off the record that there is “no way that they chairman’s office rubber-stamps this transaction.”  The source goes on to say, “It will be a steep climb to say the least”.

These off the record comments confirm what many have already been thinking, that it is going to be a difficult battle ahead for AT&T and T-Mo to get the merger deal done, and we can be sure that the other carriers are going to make it as difficult as possible.  AT&T has to show that the merger will not violate anti-trust regulations by reducing competition in the US.  There has been a lot of analysis on both sides of the issue, but it is too early to tell what the final outcome is going to be.

The Wall Street Journal article went on to say that the FCC has not even begun to formally evaluate the deal, which again means that this will be a long process.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Sharp Extends Aquos Brand with New 3D Android Handset

Again we find ourselves a bit jealous of our Android brothers and sisters who live in Japan.

So Just How Good is the Xperia X10 Camera?

Of all the yet-to-be-launched Android handsets, none can match the anticipation level of the Xperia X10 from Sony Ericsson.  OK, so there is one other phone.  While we wait to

Official: Sprint’s Hero and Moment Getting Android 2.0

Those of you who are Sprint Android owners will be happy to learn that your handset will be getting an upgrade to Android 2.0 in the first half of 2010.

1. Tony McAfee
    March 25, 18:21 Reply

This is the best news I’ve heard since I got my vibrant upgrade early and free :-)

2. Anonymous
    March 25, 20:15 Reply

Please. The AT&T/T-Mobile merger will not reduce competition. AT&T has always had better service than T-Mobile anyways and unlike T-Mobile, AT&T does not use a non standard 3G network.

3. David Nguyen
    March 25, 20:41 Reply

Please, yes it will be horrible for the consumer in the fact that At&t will hold the only all the GSM spectrum in the US. Yes, that then they will have no competition here in the US if you want to use a GSM phone. Yes, that At&t has been horrible with locked down phones, dropped calls, terrible service and expensive data plans with bad service.

As a TMo user for 15 years, I rarely if ever get a dropped called while talking unlike my counter part with At&t, specifically the i*hone. The one benefit is yes TMo customers will have temporarily have better service because of the added spectrum until At&t kills it and everyone will then be ruled by one overlord.

• Anonymous
      March 26, 04:45 Reply

@David Nguyen – So what if AT&T holds all of the GSM spectrum in the USA? That won’t affect competition. Go to a CDMA carrier if you’re so unhappy about AT&T. I have a Dell Streak that was locked to AT&T. I’ve used the phone in Portland Oregon, Denver, Dallas Texas, Corpus Christi Texas, Seattle Washington, and Las Vegas Nevada. I’ve never had a single dropped call and I have full bars even when inside buildings. I rooted it and installed Dell’s official Froyo for unlocked Streak’s so the phone is not locked down. Rooting the phone and installing the unlocked build of Froyo requires very little tech skills.

• Opiate46
        March 28, 02:50 Reply

You apparently don’t understand what having GSM entails. For those international travelers it means much lower rates, as CDMA isn’t supported overseas. So having one carrier supporting it here makes that a monopoly. And while I can’t personally vouch for AT&T having crappy service, I have plenty of friends who complain about it constantly. Also, as a Tmo customer myself, my customer service is always topnotch. Unfortunately I have AT&T U-Verse for cable and it is a nightmare to talk to customer service when something breaks. There’s a reason AT&T consistently gets voted the worst customer service.

• Anonymous
          March 28, 05:20 Reply

It’s my understanding that Verizon and Sprint both offer world phones that support both GSM and CDMA. If you live in the USA and travel out of the country then AT&T’s buyout of T-Mobile wouldn’t be a problem. If you live outside of the USA and travel here on occasion it still wouldn’t be a problem because you’re not here very much.

4. David Nguyen
    March 25, 20:41 Reply

5. David Nguyen
    March 25, 20:41 Reply

6. Ron Dippold
    March 25, 20:44 Reply

What they mean by this is that AT&T had better start backup up the dumpsters full of kickback money ASAP. Of course it’ll go through, it just needs enough lube, you knawmean?

7. Ron Dippold
    March 25, 20:44 Reply

8. Ron Dippold
    March 25, 20:44 Reply

9. Nassergamez
    March 26, 06:35 Reply

I’m still leaving T-Mobile for even considering joining with AT&T they don’t deserve my money or time.