Google: “In-App Purchases Only Available on Android 3.0 Devices.” Wait, What?

We just received a tip from one of our readers who was poking around the official Android Market Help guide earlier today. In there, they noticed a little blurb about the new in-app purchases which launched over the last few days.  Among the details is a bit about how in-app purchases are only”available on Android 3.0 devices with MyApps 5.0.12 or higher.  Wait a minute… What?  Something doesn’t sound right.

We downloaded Tap Tap Revenge 4 on our EVO 4G yesterday and were able to purchase additional tracks without a hitch.  Further, the Android Market would not even recognize the Motorola XOOM as being compatible with the music game.  Sounds like things are a little goofed up here.  Have any of you run into issues trying to take advantage of in-app purchases yet?  Might this just me something that needs cleaned up a bit in the help guide?  Yeah, probably.

Thanks Sterling!

UPDATE: Google looks to have cleaned this up.  You’ll notice that the end now says “…latest version of Android Market installed on your phone. In addition, Android 3.0 users must have MyApps 5.0.12 or higher.”

All set!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6607 posts

Deals & Steals

Google Play All Access 60 days free for select Chromebook owners

Google have just announced a special offer for select Chromebook owners which enables them to try Google’s All Access music streaming service for free for 60 days. The Google Play

Andy Rubin Demonstrates Honeycomb with Motorola Tablet, Due in 2011

Forget that Gingerbread stuff from earlier today – Honeycomb is the new hotness.  Already.  Andy Rubin, the father of Android, was speaking tonight at  D: Dive Into Mobile where he

Snapchat brings Chat to its apps, video chat and instant messaging now available

Up until today, Snapchat was all about sharing disappearing photos, but now it’s so much more. In the most recent update to its apps, which is are now available for download,

1. Xhelas
    March 31, 22:55 Reply

Are you able to read? The complete sentence is :
    If your device is running Android 3.0, in-app billing requires version 5.0.12 (or higher) of the MyApps application. If your device is running any other version of Android, in-app billing requires version 2.3.4 (or higher) of the Android Market application.

The reference url is surprisingly : http://developer.android.com/guide/market/billing/billing_overview.html
    Check the end of the page.

Thanks for reading until the end!

2. Chrisghughes
    March 31, 23:18 Reply

Lol. Another quality piece of journalism from android guys… this is right up there with your xoom review after playing with it for 5 minuts in the store.

3. Chrisghughes
    March 31, 23:18 Reply

4. ManwellC
    March 31, 23:39 Reply

Reading, the other white meat. You Fail at it.

5. Anonymous
    March 31, 23:52 Reply

IF you have Android 3.0 THEN you’ll need MyApps 5.0.12 or higher.

6. techno-update
    April 01, 22:34 Reply

Glad to find it is cleaned up, got worried. I can’t wait to see some more apps get into this.

7. Office 2010
    April 09, 08:11 Reply

I am a writer and would benefit by having Publisher included in this Microsoft Office 2010. Use Word 2010 and had to have the new version so my documents would open correctly.In fact, I thought it was, so I was sorely disappointed when I realized I now need to buy yet another Office 2010. Coming from Microsoft Office , it is taking time getting use to the new ways of doing the same thing I did in the older version.Stop nickel-and-diming customers.I have used it only one day; therefore I can’t tell how long it will take to adapt. Give people what we need and we’ll gladly purchase things in the future. In fact, we’ll more likely buy Office 2007 because you haven’t required payment for all these other things (like Publisher) Microsoft Office 2007 should have been included in the first place.

8. Office 2010