Call Delay Issue Plaguing Nexus One

Some Nexus One owners who rejoiced at getting Gingerbread in February have just weeks later begun griping about a bug in their phone’s version of Android 2.3.

Affected users report a 2-3 second delay after a phone call connects during which they can neither hear nor be heard by the person on the line. So far, over the course of  almost six weeks, more than fifty users have described the same issue on Google’s bug tracker for Android, and nearly 200 have starred the issue. Most are running stock Android 2.3.3, with a few running 2.3.3-based custom firmware.

With Gingerbread running on so few phones, it’s worth considering whether this is an issue with Gingerbread across the board or with the Nexus One’s specific build. No users in the bug tracker thread mention other models, but we did find references in various forums to the issue cropping up on the HTC Desire as well. We checked with a Nexus S owner as well as a Droid X owner who has flashed the recent Gingerbread build for that phone; neither had run into the issue.

So far, no Google employees have participated in the bug tracker thread. We reached out to Google for a comment, but have not heard back. With the Nexus One over a year old and no longer a flagship, it’s not clear how much attention the issue will receive.

In the mean time, those affected can try a third party app that claims to patch the problem. Unfortunately, Market reviews indicate the patch may not work consistently for everyone.

Nexus One and Desire owners, let us know in the comments if you’ve experienced this call delay issue and if so, how you are dealing with it.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Boost Mobile now offering Samsung Galaxy Prevail LTE

Boost Mobile on Monday began offering its latest Android smartphone, the $130 Samsung Galaxy Prevail LTE. Powered by Android 4.4 KitKat, the handset features a 4.5-inch display, 5-megapixel rear camera,

AT&T throttling users at just over 2GB of data?

Top 5% of data users are said to consume 12X as much as the average guy… but 2GB? Really?

T-Mobile’s Era42 may be a quad-core HTC One X+

Due in late September, T-Mobile’s next big Android could be a more powerful HTC One X.

1. Daniel Friedmann
    April 15, 13:38 Reply

I have a rooted HTC Desire GSM with latest CM7. I just wait briefly before I start speaking. It’s annoying but I’ve become used to it meanwhile. Of course I hope that it’ll be fixed sooner than later.

2. hemlig
    April 15, 13:45 Reply

The same issue has also been present in all (as far as I can tell) 2.3.3-based versions of the Oxygen 2.0.x (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=971904, search the thread for the words “call delay”) mod for Desire GSM/Bravo.

Sure it’s annoying some times, but something I can live with..

3. Joey Izzo
    April 15, 13:56 Reply

Damn, It that what that is? I just thought it was a problem with my bluetooth in my car. I feel like a schmuck saying hello 7 times before I get a hello back

4. Anonymous
    April 15, 14:01 Reply

Both my wife and I are running CM7 on a Desire GSM and a Milestone, respectively, and neither one of us have experienced this issue.

5. Anonymous
    April 15, 14:01 Reply

6. Asd
    April 15, 14:03 Reply

Desire GSM with C7 has this issue too.

7. Michael
    April 15, 14:06 Reply

I’ve had the problem…just have to wait, sometimes I say hello twice

8. JR
    April 15, 14:11 Reply

I have this problem too… I would say more like 1-2 seconds..and like Michael said..you find yourself saying hello twice. I am learning to wait because you can almost hear the connection kick in…

9. Rootko
    April 15, 14:30 Reply

I have it too. Running RC3 of CM7, I was kinda hoping, this will go away with final release. I guess I’ll have to get used to this :(

10. Victor Stuber
    April 15, 15:09 Reply

I have this issue and it sucks because I start getting aggravated before the person even hears me.
    I’ve just learned to wait 3 seconds before speaking

11. Mikey
    April 15, 15:19 Reply

I get it too. I feel somewhat better knowing it’s a widespread issue for us Nexus One owners. Not a big deal though, By the time I “answer” the phone and actually say “Hi” it’s over the 1-2 second period anyway. Still, it would be nice to have a fix.

12. JJVK
    April 15, 15:25 Reply

I have a Nexus One running gingerbread and a Droid incredible one phone for work and one for personal they both have the delay issue. I think it is an Android problem.

13. John
    April 15, 15:30 Reply

I get that too, and i thought it was the carrier. Nexus One 2.3.3. stock

14. Capndan
    April 15, 15:40 Reply

Until I read this I didn’t realize it was happening to me, but it explains a lot why I have to say hello about 3 times before anyone will talk to me lately.

15. Planetmike
    April 15, 15:51 Reply

My native N1 (not rooted) is running fine on 2.3.3 under T-Mobile in the States.

16. xanfan
    April 15, 16:02 Reply

Like Capndan, I didn’t realize it was happening to me until I read this but I do have to wait a couple of second before I say hello.

17. UbuntuMan
    April 15, 16:12 Reply

With stock Gingerbread 2.3.3, never had the issue. However this issue appeared when I installed CM7.

18. Nexus7
    April 15, 16:44 Reply

Have noticed it since the update, that and I had some keyboard issues and the screen going blank before and after calls, having to press power and sometimes even reboot. Nexus One owner running stock Android 2.3.3. Looks nice , but by far the flakiest version of android. 2.2.2 was rock solid.

19. Lloyd
    April 15, 16:53 Reply

yes I have a number of times, I thought it was the phone on the other end. Thx

20. Lloyd
    April 15, 16:53 Reply

yes I have a number of times, I thought it was the phone on the other end. Thx

21. Tadej Rudec
    April 15, 17:42 Reply

It’s the mic’s issue, probably lib’s from official HTC Gingerbread ROM will solve it.

22. Melonmotion
    April 15, 17:49 Reply

Had Gingerbread 2.3.3 on my Nexus one since February with no problems! My wife is running a nexus s with no problems…

23. Anonymous
    April 15, 17:52 Reply

Droid X here, running rooted leaked GB. No problems for me.

24. Jimmy P
    April 15, 18:18 Reply

Been a problem on CM builds for some people, Dewonkificator works for me on CM7.
    Link posted further down the page by Geathan A.

25. Dave
    April 15, 18:21 Reply

N1 CM7 … I have it too. Though I have also experienced my whole phone gettimg severely unresponsive since upgrading, so perhaps I have a different problem going on.

26. clemont
    April 15, 18:48 Reply

i have the same problem… running htc desire with cm7…

27. Ravi
    April 15, 19:44 Reply

Nexus one with stock 2.3.3. I did notice after the upgrade, I had to say hello 2 or 3 times before I get a response. Now I just wait 2 seconds before saying hello! This article confirmed my suspicion that gingerbread is responsible.

Also random screen blanking issues after call or after tapping on a contact.

Mis-recognition of touches sometimes, needing reboot.

Touching the green call icon next to a contact name often results in a black screen.

Many many flaky issues with gingerbread. Froyo was delightfully robust and a much more pleasing, detailed skin too compared to the black mess of gingerbread.

• robbid
      April 17, 01:36 Reply

Also having the weird touch issue where it’s like the recognition is off.

• robbid
      April 17, 01:36 Reply

Also having the weird touch issue where it’s like the recognition is off.

• A S
      April 18, 22:31 Reply

N1 here with stock Gingerbread as well. I have experienced the call delay also. But the most frustrating problem for me is the random screen blanking. The screen shows the wall paper with no other icons, widgets, etc. The phone basically becomes a brick with a nice wall paper. It is extremely frustrating when this happens, especially when you want to make a call or access some information in an hurry.

28. TeeDubb
    April 15, 20:03 Reply

Nexus One with CM7 RC4. I’ve been experiencing it in all the CM7 release candidates. Dewonkificator fixes the issue.

Planning to do a full wipe and CM7 final install tonight. Hopefully, that will do the trick. If not, I’ll reinstall the utility. It’s a small price to pay for the most hackable and tweakable phone out there. :)

29. guest
    April 15, 22:21 Reply

I’m having this same issue on my HTC desire. Running the latest nightlies from CyanogenMod7. The same issue is there on my other phone which is a Nexus One(stock gingerbread).

30. AJ
    April 15, 22:35 Reply

I’m just glad I’m not alone. I have been wondering what was up. Google, if you are reading this, please fix it.

31. Michaelrice15
    April 16, 06:56 Reply

Had this issue for awhile now. Ever since the first cm7 build came out. I also thought it was just me.

32. robbid
    April 17, 01:35 Reply

My partner and I have the Nexus One with Gingerbread and we are both experiencing this problem.

33. Aja
    April 17, 16:52 Reply

I too have a stock Nexus one and since updating to 2.3.3 I have to wait a few seconds to before anyone can hear me. It’s rather annoying.

34. UbuntuMan
    April 18, 15:54 Reply

End up switching back to stock Gingerbread. Now no more delay.

So the question is, is it CM7 or in general Gingerbread?

35. Cb474
    April 19, 16:44 Reply

If you’re having the call delay problem, especially on a device that is not the Nexus One, please star the issue here:

This is a known bug with Gingerbread, that Google recently declined, saying it was “device specific” (to the Nexus One).

However this problem is also being reportedly widely on the HTC Desire, as well as Samsung Galaxy devices. I have posted a new issue above and not attributed it to a specific device.

Please comment and star this issue. And please specificy especially if your device is not the Nexus One, so that Google gets this message that this is a widespread Gingerbread bug, which has nothing to do with the device.

Thanks.

• cb474
      April 20, 07:14 Reply

The Google employee following up on the call delay issue, in the Google support forums, is asking people to fill out the following form, to gather information about how people are affected and on what devices.