How to Watch Netflix on Your Rooted nookCOLOR
As many of you already know the Netflix app was released for Android not long ago. At the time of release the app only supported a handful of devices. Supported devices so far are 4 HTC handsets and the Samsung Nexus S.
I personally didn’t feel like waiting for a “supported” version of the app to hit the market, so I did a little research. If you change a couple lines of code in the build.prop file located in the /system directory of your “unsupported” device, you can trick the app into thinking its really a different device. More importantly you trick it to think its one of the supported devices.
- Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted my build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)
- Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor) (linked below)
- In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes
- Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)
- Open & edit /system/build.prop
- Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2
- Reboot the phone
- Install the netflix apk (if you haven’t already) (linked below)
This may or may not work on other devices, try both types (vision & nexus) if you have trouble. I have it working on my nookCOLOR and it looks decent. I havent had any playback issues watching Fear and Loathing. My nookCOLOR is running the latest CyanogenMod nightly build, which i would highly recommend. I don’t know what kind of experience it would be trying to play netflix on this device without hardware acceleration. If playback is less than optimal, flash CM7 to the most out of your nookCOLOR.