Sharp Announces Worlds First Clamshell Android Phone

An interesting announcement from Sharp today, as they have launched the worlds first Android powered clamshell flip phone.  Introducing the Sharp Aquos Hybrid 007sh, an Android 2.3 device with a 3.4 inch flippable touch screen.  It has some impressive specs under the hood, including a 16 megapixel camera!The specs for the 007h are as follows:

• 1 GHz second gen Snapdragon
  • 16 megapixel rear cam
  • Front facing cam for vid chat.
  • 3D ready display, with a 3D TV tuner.
  • Dropbox and Qik apps pre-installed

The phone is being released in Japan first, but Sharp has plans for a world wide release sometime in the future.  This is a pretty beefy handset spec wise, the 3D ready display and TV tuner is an interesting addition as well.  More news on this as it is released.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Motorola: Two to Four two Phones With Front Facing Cameras in 2010

Motorola recently said that they would be offering up to twenty Android handsets in 2010.  Whether that means twenty more or twenty total isn’t quite clear but it is encouraging

On Tonight’s AGTN

Tonight is Episode #30 for AGTN! Thanks for continuing to listen and make our Thursday night show a success.  As always, Android Guys strives to bring you the best Android

Mint App Will Come to Android

There’s good news for those Android users who are looking for a budgeting and expense tracking app! Mint, the company behind the popular finance app that has been very successful

1. XEOD
    May 20, 18:25 Reply

Return of clam shell….. Really? I mean it looks nice but the whole clam shell design is kind of outdated.

• voxleo
      January 13, 13:53 Reply

Yeah, not “butt dialing” everyone is SOOOO yesterday!

• Andy Stetson
      May 20, 19:04 Reply

top swivels around and closes so that it’s like other android phones.  And clamshells are still HUGE in Japan (was just there).  Their clamshell phones beat the crap out of any american clamshell phone.  Really hoping that phone comes stateside, drop some 4G in there and it can’t get better!

2. Norman Buffong
    May 21, 04:18 Reply

Interesting design perhaps tempting to some fickle BlackBerry consumers looking to switch to an alternative with hardware QWERTY keyboard.

3. Peter
    May 21, 11:48 Reply

interesting yet for some reason it feels like regression to the feature phone…

4. Skyman
    May 24, 06:57 Reply

3D display?!
    that’s so cool if it is ture

5. Dannyjayfuller
    May 24, 13:25 Reply

Still waiting on a RAZR 3 with a dual core OMAP4 and Gingerbread…

6. Meh
    August 31, 20:56 Reply

I don’t get what people have against clamshell phones. I find them significantly more comfortable to use as phones than the brick designs. I also like having the screen protected when not in use by being closed inside the phone, so that I don’t have to worry about having my keys or whatever in the same pocket.

I don’t mind that others like the bricks, but it ticks me off that there is not one decent clamshell phone available in the US right now. Also, to quote Monty Python: I’m 37, I’m not old!

• voxleo
      January 13, 13:51 Reply

I heartily agree.  I refuse to get rid of my Razrv3xx for precisely this reason.  Sturdy and stellar reception.

Clamshell design has always been my preference because of the whole “shell” part that keeps it from getting crushed and mangled like so many others.  So maybe I can’t deposit checks to my bank with it from the toilet, but my boyfriend has had an iphone 3g for less than a year (and already wants the new one) for all the good it does him, as it currently is falling into greater and greater disrepair along with the cracked screen. Plus the other great thing is I don’t have to pay for calls that I didn’t intend to make.  The only time he ever call me on it is when his butt dials me from the back pocket of his jeans!  People are more and more consumed with what’s hip and popular and less and less concerned with what is actually functional nowdays.  We are de-evolving as a species despite potential for greatness due to misplaced priorities.