Score One for the Good Guys – HTC to Reverse Locked Bootloader Decision

Well that certainly didn’t take long.  HTC has just announced (via Facebook) that they will no longer be locking the bootloaders on their devices.  Citing “passion, support, and patience” as the driving force behind their new policy, CEO Peter Chou is a popular man tonight.  Even if it was a very small number of users in the big scheme of things, we’re pleased to see the company listen to the vocal group.

Check out this quote from the HTC facebook page:

‎”There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

If this is not awesome, I do not know what is. You, the community, spoke loudly and HTC actually listened. I don’t know about you, but this means I will take a closer look at an HTC device next time I am up to buy one. Good job HTC, I applaud you!

Tip Credit Goes to Chris Soyars, Thanks Chris!

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Qualcomm: Newest competitor chipsets can’t hang with our two-year-old stuff

Qualcomm is pretty proud of their Snapdragon processor family and wants to remind mobile community at large.  Sure, they’ve got cutting-edge quad-core Snapdragon S4 stuff in devices like the Optimus

The London Android Workshop happening on November 24th and 25th at Techhub

The London Android Workshop is, as the organizers describe it, ‘a two day workshop designed to provide a practical introduction to Android development fundamentals’.  The event will be hosted by Richard Legett,

Make Your Own AnyCut Shortcuts (Part 1 of 3)

Don’t let the cute little house icon fool you.  AnyCut is pure utility and, like a lot of the V1.0’s in the marketplace, this one is pure Android.  It takes

1. 4G_or_not_4G
    May 27, 01:43 Reply

Just curious how will these rooted phones work with the NFC payment system.  Will these phones be left out?

• Kayjay45
      May 27, 07:45 Reply

that’s technology my dear boy!!! let them figure it out

2. matts
    May 27, 02:42 Reply

Rooted users are never left out

3. Steve Sjöblom
    May 27, 04:06 Reply

Asking for input, and then giving their customers what they want? Wow, what a concept!

If only the cell phone carriers could do the same.

4. Theweakend
    May 27, 13:37 Reply

*golf clap* now make me a water proof phone and I well love for ever htc 😀

5. Andrew Hasara
    May 27, 13:55 Reply

HTC has a history of supporting independent developers, either directly or indirectly.  It is one of the reason’s I prefer their phones over Samsung or Motorola.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 17:00 Reply

With the Galaxy, Samsung went so far as to tell everyone how to root their phones.

6. Thetunicakid
    May 30, 04:29 Reply

HTC you guys are best what can you say. I just read funny article from some noob reporter all over Sony for claiming they will not send updates to unlocked phones lol! Duh! Just wtf I need while running cm7 a froyo update on sense haha. Man people should think before writing stuff lol. New people to root is cool welcome aboard but printing a worldwide article downing Sony for this is bad! They were one of firsts weeks ago that stood up and volunteered mind you they wouldn’t lock. If someone at htcis listening please do NOT auto update my new 3d or the 4g I’m on now lmao! Just post the zip file for it ill do rest thanks lol. Sony not quite to HTC on phones yet but they make better TVs. Stupid reporters grrr

7. Anonymous
    May 31, 17:01 Reply

I’m not in the habit of congratulating people for things they should have done anyway, but this does put HTC phones back on the shopping list.

8. Dan
    August 31, 21:21 Reply

Wanted to trade my in, but now I think I will keep it and plug in my new

headphones

9. Dan
    August 31, 21:27 Reply

Wanted to trade mine in, but now I think I will keep it and plug in my new

headphones