March 28, 2015

Score One for the Good Guys - HTC to Reverse Locked Bootloader Decision

Well that certainly didn’t take long.  HTC has just announced (via Facebook) that they will no longer be locking the bootloaders on their devices.  Citing “passion, support, and patience” as the driving force behind their new policy, CEO Peter Chou is a popular man tonight.  Even if it was a very small number of users in the big scheme of things, we’re pleased to see the company listen to the vocal group.

Check out this quote from the HTC facebook page:

‎”There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

If this is not awesome, I do not know what is. You, the community, spoke loudly and HTC actually listened. I don’t know about you, but this means I will take a closer look at an HTC device next time I am up to buy one. Good job HTC, I applaud you!

Tip Credit Goes to Chris Soyars, Thanks Chris!

Related Posts

1. 4G_or_not_4G

Just curious how will these rooted phones work with the NFC payment system.  Will these phones be left out?

2. Steve Sjöblom

Asking for input, and then giving their customers what they want? Wow, what a concept!

If only the cell phone carriers could do the same.

3. Theweakend

*golf clap* now make me a water proof phone and I well love for ever htc :-D

4. Andrew Hasara

HTC has a history of supporting independent developers, either directly or indirectly.  It is one of the reason’s I prefer their phones over Samsung or Motorola.

• Anonymous

With the Galaxy, Samsung went so far as to tell everyone how to root their phones.

5. Thetunicakid

HTC you guys are best what can you say. I just read funny article from some noob reporter all over Sony for claiming they will not send updates to unlocked phones lol! Duh! Just wtf I need while running cm7 a froyo update on sense haha. Man people should think before writing stuff lol. New people to root is cool welcome aboard but printing a worldwide article downing Sony for this is bad! They were one of firsts weeks ago that stood up and volunteered mind you they wouldn’t lock. If someone at htcis listening please do NOT auto update my new 3d or the 4g I’m on now lmao! Just post the zip file for it ill do rest thanks lol. Sony not quite to HTC on phones yet but they make better TVs. Stupid reporters grrr

6. Anonymous

I’m not in the habit of congratulating people for things they should have done anyway, but this does put HTC phones back on the shopping list.

POST A COMMENT.